Airflow in Fractal Pop Air

Tinman_72

Greetings,

I am in the process of a i7-13700k / rx7800xt build in a Fractal Pop Air mid tower case. I had originally bought a Noctua NH-D15 to cool the cpu. Once I realized I have to remove the motherboard anytime I want to remove the cooler or memory, I decided to go with an AIO. (Thermalright Frozen Notte 240, purchase pending.)  I have never built with liquid cooling before so this is my first time.

Upon researching my mounting options, I see there is quite a bit of back and forth on where to mount. I don't want to flip fans around because they are aRGB and I don't want to purchase new fans to change the direction of them. Using existing fans and adding the AIO at top will result in the following:

image.png.78121eb4c48389c9832921cd70bd93d6.png

The arrows on the GPU are to indicate that it is not a closed airflow card. I am also assuming that fans generally come as pusher fans on AIO's.

This seems to be the mainstream option and I am guessing this will suffice. However, I have always preferred to have an extra fan as intake to prevent dust build up inside the case. (All intake fans will be filtered.) To fulfill this desire I am thinking I will purchase one reverse flow fan so the rear is an intake instead of exhaust. But looking at all the other exhaust on the back, should I be worried about warm air from GPU and PSU getting sucked in? The tower will be sitting on top of my desk so maybe this is not a problem.

I also considered mounting the AIO in front but from what I have read, this would make the front an exhaust and I would lose view of the beautiful aRGB fans that are currently there.

Basically I am not sure if I want to purchase a reverse rotation fan to keep dust to a minimum or keep it as is and have to clean it out every six months to a year. I am also open so other suggestions but I am already a little over budget and don't want to spend more than I already have. (Well pending the AIO, of course.)

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Edited by Tinman_72
I can't spell

Just run the top AIO as intake if you want more intake fans. Tis better that way anyways, as the radiator gets the freshest air possible.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Tinman_72 said:

Greetings,

I am in the process of a i7-13700k / rx7800xt build in a Fractal Pop Air mid tower case. I had originally bought a Noctua NH-D15 to cool the cpu. Once I realized I have to remove the motherboard anytime I want to remove the cooler or memory, I decided to go with an AIO. (Thermalright Frozen Notte 240, purchase pending.)  I have never built with liquid cooling before so this is my first time.

Upon researching my mounting options, I see there is quite a bit of back and forth on where to mount. I don't want to flip fans around because they are aRGB and I don't want to purchase new fans to change the direction of them. Using existing fans and adding the AIO at top will result in the following:

image.png.78121eb4c48389c9832921cd70bd93d6.png

The arrows on the GPU are to indicate that it is not a closed airflow card. I am also assuming that fans generally come as pusher fans on AIO's.

This seems to be the mainstream option and I am guessing this will suffice. However, I have always preferred to have an extra fan as intake to prevent dust build up inside the case. (All intake fans will be filtered.) To fulfill this desire I am thinking I will purchase one reverse flow fan so the rear is an intake instead of exhaust. But looking at all the other exhaust on the back, should I be worried about warm air from GPU and PSU getting sucked in? The tower will be sitting on top of my desk so maybe this is not a problem.

I also considered mounting the AIO in front but from what I have read, this would make the front an exhaust and I would lose view of the beautiful aRGB fans that are currently there.

Basically I am not sure if I want to purchase a reverse rotation fan to keep dust to a minimum or keep it as is and have to clean it out every six months to a year. I am also open so other suggestions but I am already a little over budget and don't want to spend more than I already have. (Well pending the AIO, of course.)

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Not sure you have the correct understanding of dust.  It's pretty much magical and will accumulate where it wishes.  Extra fan or not.

Otherwise... yes.  Standard fan layout is fine.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

Not sure you have the correct understanding of dust.  It's pretty much magical and will accumulate where it wishes.  Extra fan or not.

Otherwise... yes.  Standard fan layout is fine.

Yes, it will but much less if it is not being sucked into every crack and crevice in the case. 

3 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Just run the top AIO as intake if you want more intake fans. Tis better that way anyways, as the radiator gets the freshest air possible.

This would mean flipping around the fans and losing the "functionality" of the aRGB or buying even more reverse rotation fans. Or am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Tinman_72 said:

This would mean flipping around the fans and losing the "functionality" of the aRGB or buying even more reverse rotation fans. Or am I missing something?

Yes, if you don't want to flip them, you'd need to get 2 reverse fans instead of the 1 you would need anyways if you want to flip the rear exhaust. And you'd end up with a better airflow setup than trying to shove all the exhaust out the radiator that's trying to cool your CPU.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Yes, if you don't want to flip them, you'd need to get 2 reverse fans instead of the 1 you would need anyways if you want to flip the rear exhaust. And you'd end up with a better airflow setup than trying to shove all the exhaust out the radiator that's trying to cool your CPU.

You know that actually puts things into a different perspective for me. I don't have to buy an aRGB AIO if I am purchasing a couple of reverse rotation fans anyway, so I can save a few dollars there. And since they will be relatively easy to access I will just flip them on the AIO for now. I can purchase fancy AIO fans later when I upgrade the fronts to 140's.

Thanks for your input, guys.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:30 PM, Tinman_72 said:

You know that actually puts things into a different perspective for me. I don't have to buy an aRGB AIO if I am purchasing a couple of reverse rotation fans anyway, so I can save a few dollars there. And since they will be relatively easy to access I will just flip them on the AIO for now. I can purchase fancy AIO fans later when I upgrade the fronts to 140's.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Options:

1. Put the AIO intaking on the front, tubes down, with the fans on the side you want them on. This will produce the best CPU temps but you may need to do something to help the GC, such as a fan underneath. 
  2. Reverse the airflow entirely, which can sometimes yield better results but requires a bit more fiddling with the config.
  3. Go with a top air cooler and put fans where you want them, with or without LEDs 

I've just finished spending a few days looking at 360 AIOs on Amazon and Newegg. All of the <$100 ones have lights - even from the off brands. I think there might be 1-2 240/280s, though, without lights. I ended up ordering the Notte 360.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 11/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, RevGAM said:

Options:

1. Put the AIO intaking on the front, tubes down, with the fans on the side you want them on. This will produce the best CPU temps but you may need to do something to help the GC, such as a fan underneath. 
  2. Reverse the airflow entirely, which can sometimes yield better results but requires a bit more fiddling with the config.
  3. Go with a top air cooler and put fans where you want them, with or without LEDs 

I've just finished spending a few days looking at 360 AIOs on Amazon and Newegg. All of the <$100 ones have lights - even from the off brands. I think there might be 1-2 240/280s, though, without lights. I ended up ordering the Notte 360.

1. Front mount intake AIO: I considered this option, but there are no provisions for a bottom case fan. Even if I did put a fan in the bottom, this would defeat the purpose of the bottom divider. This option looks to me like hot air will build up below the GPU. 
  2. Front mount exhaust AIO, reverse flow all other fans: Can I mount the AIO so that the mounting surface of the case is between the fan and radiator? I don't have the AIO in hand to see how it mounts. This is somewhat intriguing, however I still see the issue of hot air building up below the GPU. I would also have to buy more fans and then I would have the fans that came out sitting around doing nothing.

I have come up with an idea that might be crazy. The option that Zando last proposed results in extreme positive pressure. (4x120mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust) What if I flip the front upper fan to be exhaust and build a baffle between the front lower fan and the GPU. This might force most of the incoming cold air at the bottom to be sucked up by the GPU, and releasing it into the rest of the case where everything is being exhausted:

image.png.3b9af01783355dbd3be5657ee666e733.png

3 hours ago, Tinman_72 said:
  1. Front mount intake AIO: I considered this option, but there are no provisions for a bottom case fan. Even if I did put a fan in the bottom, this would defeat the purpose of the bottom divider. This option looks to me like hot air will build up below the GPU. 
  2. Front mount exhaust AIO, reverse flow all other fans: Can I mount the AIO so that the mounting surface of the case is between the fan and radiator? I don't have the AIO in hand to see how it mounts. This is somewhat intriguing, however I still see the issue of hot air building up below the GPU. I would also have to buy more fans and then I would have the fans that came out sitting around doing nothing.

I have come up with an idea that might be crazy. The option that Zando last proposed results in extreme positive pressure. (4x120mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust) What if I flip the front upper fan to be exhaust and build a baffle between the front lower fan and the GPU. This might force most of the incoming cold air at the bottom to be sucked up by the GPU, and releasing it into the rest of the case where everything is being exhausted:

The baffle is a good idea. Having the AIO on intake on top is not ideal. Flip it and have the other 3 fans on intake. You can always experiment. 

Using the baffle with the AIO on intake in front will deal with the GC heat just the same. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

12 hours ago, Tinman_72 said:

i would try it out

but it could go like this:

image.png.a7f772f5bb22a291170d2c7df5c6ec8a.png

Top AIO as intake is the second best option