My phone might has virus

f23948

My phone has virus, how do i get rid of virus and other threats? I'm using Galaxy a53 5g with everything latest updated

Screenshot_20231108_163648_Edge.jpg

That looks like a scam website (or advertisement) you are viewing. Did you navigate to that website or did the page open by itself?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

That looks like a scam website (or advertisement) you are viewing. Did you navigate to that website or did the page open by itself?

i didn't go to scam website (or advertisement), it redirects by itself.

Do you even have McAfee on your phone at all?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you even have McAfee on your phone at all?

i didn't open mcafee site

8 minutes ago, f23948 said:

i didn't open mcafee site

I understand that. 

Do you have McAfee installed on your phone? If not, then it's an ad or a scam. I would just close it. 

Download some legit anti-virus app if you're concerned about the presence of malware, and scan your phone. 

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Please tell me this is satire or parody and not an actual post... 😩

image.png.7953683478a8225d010dc0a26005be05.png

Just from the triangly symbol you can know it's a scam, the real mcaffee (or any trustworthy antivirus) would have this lock as a logo

image.png.b839be5358bfcbc24089544f9e3dcc86.png

22 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I understand that. 

Do you have McAfee installed on your phone? If not, then it's an ad or a scam. I would just close it. 

Download some legit anti-virus app if you're concerned about the presence of malware, and scan your phone. 

can you please give me list of legit antivirus app?

22 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I understand that. 

i didn't download and install mcafee app on my phone

39 minutes ago, f23948 said:

Exactly, the site you are viewing is a spam inside your web browser it is not the real McAfee. Do not install anything from the website or pay them anything.

They are fooling you into believing you have a virus. The site will try to force you into installing malware or paying for something you do not need.

50 minutes ago, f23948 said:

OK. So then why would "McAfee" be telling you to renew a subscription you never had for software you never installed?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

23 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

Exactly, the site you are viewing is a spam inside your web browser it is not the real McAfee. Do not install anything from the website or pay them anything.

They are fooling you into believing you have a virus. The site will try to force you into installing malware or paying for something you do not need.

i didn't install anything from the website and i didn't pay anything

1 minute ago, f23948 said:

Good. There is no need to.

2 hours ago, f23948 said:

Back when I had an Android phone, I would frequently get shit like this. Didn't really matter what website it was. 

Malwarebytes seems pretty decent. At least keep it on your phone long enough to give you enough time to scan your phone. I doubt you have malware - it was just a pop-up trying to scare you. 

I went to really safe websites still it gives me scan for viruses popup

57 minutes ago, f23948 said:

I went to really safe websites still it gives me scan for viruses popup

How do you know they're safe? 

20 hours ago, f23948 said:

I'm using Microsoft Edge with Copilot disabled

I'm quite glad you have co-pilot turned off.  It actually consumes untold amounts of power for generating feedback of your queries.

I would open the browser menu and delete the "cache" but NOT cookies nor history.  If you delete the cookies, you'll be logged out of all websites, and history is incredibly useful for finding an educational or technical article you were reading without needing to re-query a search engine, trying to remember which keywords to use.

I strongly advise the use of Fennec.  Fennec is Firefox, and Firefox is a web browser that has been around since 1994, (called firebird back then) to-this-day, is still 100% open-source.

The goal of Firefox is to educate users on how screwed up the Internet has gotten with personal data being collected to uniquely identify you, and track your browsing habits across nearly every single website you visit.  Firefox aims to help prevent your browsing being tracked by companies.  If you want to see this, either in Edge, or Fennec (firefox, with restored about:config special settings page, removed from regular mobile firefox around 2014, hasn't been returned yet) and download an addon.

An addon is a very, very small program that works as you load a webpage and can check what is loading.  A great addon to help speed up web browsing and allow you to block 100% of all extra included websites inside a website, you'll understand what I am saying when you get it setup:

Privacy Badger.

When you load "linustechtips.com" it is not loading JUST that website, but by default, well actually I don't know because my dns blocker blocked the other ones before my addon could read them on the webpage.  Checking that dns log, there is:

(Usually there is also ytimg which has something to do with youtube, but the only other one I see is:

pbs-prod.linustechtips.com

Loading a online business website for example https://drbronner.com

Will result in quite a number of pages being loaded and I'll list them all here so you get an idea of all the shit that loads on websites today, no offense to the company, only their website:

Checking my dns, a few things have gotten an IP address, but my addon (I use NoScript) has not loaded ANY of the javascript or whatmaybe code, for any of these domains:

drbronner.com

www.drbronner.com

cdn.shopify.com (content delivery network to show their products on the website, hosted on some other webserver)

code.jquery.com (no idea what this does)

fastly-cloud.typenetwork.com (used for fonts or letter styling)

bundle.thimatic-apps.com (no idea)

The rest that haven't even reached my choosen dns server at all are listed NoScript

ajax.googleapis.com

cookielaw.org

d33a6lvgbd0fej.cloudfront.net

force.com

helixo.co

jquery.com
jsdelivr.net
klaviyo.com
minmaxify.com

What's even more annoying, is that that is not all of them yet.  Allowing those domains to load their code onto the page will also spawn more available domains to load.  For example, to read their ingredients list, you MUST enable a domain called... I forget, moon something, but you can only enable that domain if you enable certain other ones.

So there are 22 domains that load on their website if you keep enabling allowing those domains code to load, and then eventually you can read their ingredients.

Most people would say that is far too time-consuming, inconvenient and too technical to go through, but it sure makes pages load so much faster, if all you want is the text with nothing else extra.

Privacy badger makes it look a lot cleaner, with red, gold and green bars indicating which domains are enabled, no cookies mode, or completely blocked.

It is slightly redundant for tracking domains, as firefox does its best to block them all in strict mode, but you can also block the font domains, and whatever cloudfront does.

Also, if you DO happen to go to a malicious website, an addon such as NoScript will absolutely NOT run that websites code, as you can, and I strongly advise, set the default mode as everything is "untrusted".

Initially you will have to enable "youtube" and "linustechtips" and every single other website you will ever visit as "trusted" to use the menu of a website and whatever else, but once that is done, you are much more safe online as only websites you specifically set as "trusted" will be able to load properly.

This is a great addon, and if NoScript looks too complete or a confusing interface with too many options, that is why privacy badger was developed.  It however, will not be able to block-by-default any website's code and is 100% focused soley on tracking domains and not at all, on malicious websites.  This is why I mention NoScript, since it seems more applicable to this topic regarding security.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 6:16 AM, Fennick_Fox said:

That's a scam. Don't click on anything, and close the window.

I know. I didn't click on anything and I did closed the window.