Any AMD GPU that performs better then a 1080 ti for under 285€?(DE)

FuchsFuchs1
25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well if its on a vps what do you need a threadripper for then?

Threadripper is single cpu only too fyi.

Also handy info a threadripper 2990wx (the 32 core) is only 12% faster than a 5950x with pbo off. Pbo on basically same cpu as it runs at much faster boost.

Single core wise well the 5950x is basically double.

And power consumption wise the 5950x is half.

Keep in mind this is in perfect condition of a 2990wx where it runs 3000mhz ddr4 quad channel which is extremely hard to do and often its 2666 or slower which has a real impact.

The price price for a 2990wx + board is higher than a 5950x + board new. Let alone used.

1. If you didn't get it already: I'm not satisfied with my vps

2. I'm pretty sure ltt showed a dual threadripper but I don't have plans since I heard they don't really like it and one would have enough cores

3. I can get a 5th gen threadripper +motherboard for ~1.5k€?

Edit: I had no intentions of getting a threadripper Pro And I was looking through messages and I was actually getting threadripper 3. The 3970x to be specific.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

13 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

1. If you didn't get it already: I'm not satisfied with my vps

2. I'm pretty sure ltt showed a dual threadripper but I don't have plans since I heard they don't really like it and one would have enough cores

3. I can get a 5th gen threadripper +motherboard for ~1.5k€?

Edit: I had no intentions of getting a threadripper Pro And I was looking through messages and I was actually getting threadripper 3. The 3970x to be specific.

1. Ok sorry that wasn't clear my apologies

2. Threadripper is single cpu only. What you probably saw was an epyc as they do use the same socket

3. Which 5th gen? Anything under 24 isn't worth it as well then you just have a slower consumer chip performance.

A 3970x is alright. Just make sure it's a WRX80 board and NOT a trx40 as trx40 has no 5000 support and that is a major loss for future upgradability.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, FuchsFuchs1 said:

I have a dual X5690.

That CPU is awful, lacks many modern extensions (I don't even think it has AVX) and the platform is dead old. It's pretty much the same CPU as an i7 970, but you have two of those.

Minecraft is heavy on single core perf and you lack this, and the amount of cores you have is pretty much useless for such applications.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, jaslion said:

Games CAN NOT use 2 cpu's only one.

There's nothing that stops games from being able to do so, but cross memory comms is going to tank the performance lol

On 11/9/2023 at 5:38 AM, FuchsFuchs1 said:

Well I run a entire MC network and a bunch of source servers too. I have like 8 java servers and 11 source servers with 16gb of ram over allocation.

And how's the CPU usage on those? I bet you could run those off a regular Ryzen CPU without issues and with way better performance than what you currently have.

18 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

I guess it only makes sense if you're really going to make use of those 64 threads, or if you'll need to max on that 256GB of ram. Otherwise, a 7950x with 192GB of ram could suit you better.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

1. Ok sorry that wasn't clear my apologies

2. Threadripper is single cpu only. What you probably saw was an epyc as they do use the same socket

3. Which 5th gen? Anything under 24 isn't worth it as well then you just have a slower consumer chip performance.

A 3970x is alright. Just make sure it's a WRX80 board and NOT a trx40 as trx40 has no 5000 support and that is a major loss for future upgradability.

1. You good man

2. I mean I even talked to other ppl about it but let's drop this from our conversation since I'm not planning to do that

3. You said threadripper 5950x

4. I think it was a trx40. I can't really confirm it anymore since I lost the files where I wrote it down.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

3 hours ago, igormp said:

That CPU is awful, lacks many modern extensions (I don't even think it has AVX) and the platform is dead old. It's pretty much the same CPU as an i7 970, but you have two of those.

Minecraft is heavy on single core perf and you lack this, and the amount of cores you have is pretty much useless for such applications.

There's nothing that stops games from being able to do so, but cross memory comms is going to tank the performance lol

And how's the CPU usage on those? I bet you could run those off a regular Ryzen CPU without issues and with way better performance than what you currently have.

I guess it only makes sense if you're really going to make use of those 64 threads, or if you'll need to max on that 256GB of ram. Otherwise, a 7950x with 192GB of ram could suit you better.

1. Hey it was better then the x5550 and has vt-d and litrely 99% of games are single core by default.

2. It's probably not enough since it struggles to generate new chunks. Also Idk if you are aware but I'm talking about a vps not my computer.

3. I wanted to use the 32 cores to replace all computers in the house and have extra cores for servers.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

54 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

You said threadripper 5950x

No that is a ryzen. A am4 16 core cpu

49 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

I wanted to use the 32 cores to replace all computers in the house and have extra cores for servers.

Energy wise this may not be smart as now other hardware is also active that wont help servers.

A simple game system with a ryzen 5600 runs all no problem ans then the server can just server away without power hungry idle running a gpu all the time

3 hours ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

1. Hey it was better then the x5550 and has vt-d and litrely 99% of games are single core by default.

2. It's probably not enough since it struggles to generate new chunks. Also Idk if you are aware but I'm talking about a vps not my computer.

3. I wanted to use the 32 cores to replace all computers in the house and have extra cores for servers.

1. At the time of your choosing it may have been a good pick, but now it's not. I'm not sure if you keep this device for some aesthetical reasons or whatnot, but its performance is considered way subpar nowadays, so that's something to keep in mind. 

2. I'm aware you're talking about both the VPSes (for the game servers) and your local desktop (for the game itself), I would like to know the CPU usage in the VPS, along with number of VPSes and CPUs in each, so I can better understand how much CPU power you'd need in order to provide a more informed opinion. 

3. It might be overkill for your needs, maybe half the cores, but with more powerful ones would suit you better, but I need more info to help you with that. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 11/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, jaslion said:

No that is a ryzen. A am4 16 core cpu

Energy wise this may not be smart as now other hardware is also active that wont help servers.

A simple game system with a ryzen 5600 runs all no problem ans then the server can just server away without power hungry idle running a gpu all the time

1. Sorry my bad. I am a intel user, I don't understand and branding.

2. I honestly don't really care. A idle gpu doesn't use that much and most gpus in there are low power ones idc

3. I use my systems for way more then gaming and considering that 2 of the systems would barely do load since it's a multi use case system and not everyone in the household plays video games.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

On 11/10/2023 at 11:31 PM, igormp said:

1. At the time of your choosing it may have been a good pick, but now it's not. I'm not sure if you keep this device for some aesthetical reasons or whatnot, but its performance is considered way subpar nowadays, so that's something to keep in mind. 

2. I'm aware you're talking about both the VPSes (for the game servers) and your local desktop (for the game itself), I would like to know the CPU usage in the VPS, along with number of VPSes and CPUs in each, so I can better understand how much CPU power you'd need in order to provide a more informed opinion. 

3. It might be overkill for your needs, maybe half the cores, but with more powerful ones would suit you better, but I need more info to help you with that. 

1. This might be true

2. I mean if it lags at generating chunks I defnetly need more cores and performance. I'll post usage tomorrow. Also in my panel I'm 16gb overallocated.

3. I like to go overkill, also it should last for awhile like my macpro.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 minute ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

1. Sorry my bad. I am a intel user, I don't understand and branding.

2. I honestly don't really care. A idle gpu doesn't use that much and most gpus in there are low power ones idc

3. I use my systems for way more then gaming and considering that 2 of the systems would barely do load since it's a multi use case system and not everyone in the household plays video games.

Ok then I still advice to either go a 16 core ryzen since it's incredibly fast stuff

Or opt for a wrx80 board threadripper setup or opt for a epyc setup as later epyc sp3 boards ALSO run threadripper and threadripper pro.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok then I still advice to either go a 16 core ryzen since it's incredibly fast stuff

Or opt for a wrx80 board threadripper setup or opt for a epyc setup as later epyc sp3 boards ALSO run threadripper and threadripper pro.

I think where going too fast here. Because what is going to to cool such high power chips.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

Just now, FuchsFuchs1 said:

I think where going too fast here. Because what is going to to cool such high power chips.

A basic nh u12s is plenty. These chips are INCREDIBLY energy efficient. Like it's ridiculous. Worst case you get a cooler master ml360 tr4. Cheap cooler too and plenty beefy for the highest end threadripper.