Math help(easy)

ManOfDisguise

Ok I think I knew how to do this but now I forgot anyway for homework I have to do this:

(also sorry for the large spaces didnt know how to do the line to make it closer)

x+2   - 1 = 3x2(the small 2 as like squared) + x + 9     -   x-2

-----          --------------------------------------------------        -----

x-2                                3( x2-4)                                      x+2

Now can you pls tell me how to do it too? Here is how I think it should be done(faint memories)

so i mulitply all of the top numbers with all of the bottom numbers that aren"t there - for example: (x+2) (x+2) + 3 (x2-4) - this is the first fraction im talking about x+2 it already has x-2 down so ill leave that out and multiply it with the other lower

-----

x-2

numbers: 3(x2-4) and x+2. and then ill do the sam for the other fractions. is this the right way to do it?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

3(2x -4) is 6(x-2)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3(2x -4) is 6(x-2)

no sorry i meant the x2 as in x squared

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Wolfram|Alpha, my friend. For squared numbers a "^" is placed between the x value and the power eg: x^2. Answer is

3350ee5e11e75c3270889c5df300893f.png

The way you typed it is illegible, so i probably got it wrong. PLEASE post a picture of the question.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i HATE algebra!

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

@ManOfDisguise Wow, that's one question you've got there... I just tried doing some working for it and I didn't really want to carry on. Anyway, here's what I did:

Give the two fractions on the right a common denominator. So in this case, multiply the denominators together to get 3(x^2 - 4)(x + 2). Then apply the same change to the numerators of each fraction, multiplying by the alternate denominator, and then subtract them to get a single fraction.

But then there's a hell of a lot of multiplication involved... It looks kinda horrid to me. Are you sure you're not supposed to use polynomial division or partial fractions or something? But anyway if you're up for cross multiplying those fractions, then it should work and you'll get an answer for x. But you'll likely have to use the quadratic formula or factorise it.

Here is what I did:

post-42902-0-38736500-1400407685_thumb.j

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Do you mean something like:

(x+2)/(x-2) -1=(3*x^2 + x + 9)/(3*x^2 - 4)-(x-2)/(x+2) ?

I suppose you want to simplify the equation and get a polynomial equation as the result.

You just need to multiply the equation with the greatest common divisor of the denominators (or a multiple of it). This eliminates all the fractions.

The rest is just multiplication and simplification.

The solution should be:

x^3 - 35*x^2 - 4*x + 12 = 0

x^2 - 4 = (x +2)(x-2)

This is soo easy.Come on.

x is equal to 27.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3131zsw.jpg

There you go.I might have fucked up some addition,but you would fix that.

3131zsw.jpg

There you go.I might have fucked up some addition,but you would fix that.

thanks a lot! i just want to ask  if u look in the third from bottom row u have -12x + 12x at the very right dont those get cancelled out?and also where did u get the -3 in the 2nd from bottom row?

Specs of my PC:

thanks a lot! i just want to ask  if u look in the third from bottom row u have -12x + 12x at the very right dont those get cancelled out?and also where did u get the -3 in the 2nd from bottom row?

That's "-12  +   12x" ,not -12x + 12x.

And the -3 comes from :

9 -12 = -3 

That's "-12  +   12x",not -12x + 12x.

And the -3 comes from :

9 -12 = -3 

oh sorry im so stupid lol i dunno how i saw an x there lol

Specs of my PC:

oh sorry im so stupid lol i dunno how i saw an x there lol

np.

xD

Are you trying to factor the equations? Well, you have a quadratic equation: 3x^2+x+9. Factor that first. Report back.

BTW, I'm taking AP Algebra, so I know what I'm doing.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Are you trying to factor the equations? Well, you have a quadratic equation: 3x^2+x+9. Factor that first. Report back.

Lol person taking AP algebra who "knows what he's doing" doesn't realize that the above said equation doesn't pass the discriminant test.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Lol person taking AP algebra who "knows what he's doing" doesn't realize that the above said equation doesn't pass the discriminant test.

Every polynom can be factorized . You just need to use complex numbers.

I know, but I'm pretty sure he needs real solutions.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Exactly. See, @T.Vengeance? I told ya so. It can be factorized.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So americans don't just do maths, its split up into different sections then?

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I know, but I'm pretty sure he needs real solutions.

It shouldn't be a problem, the solutions are the same. But factorizing isn't usefull in this case and makes the whole equation more complex  ^_^   than it needs to be.

There's no point for that...

There's no point for that...

Well, there is a point when you  try to simplify.

Well, there is a point when you  try to simplify.

Not here because after you'll simplify you'll have to de-simplify.