Can the included 12VHPWR adapter cable with Corsair HX1500i fully use the standard, and communicate with a GPU?

I am considering the following PSU: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/p/psu/cp-9020261-na/hx1500i-fully-modular-ultra-low-noise-platinum-atx-1500-watt-pc-power-supply-cp-9020261-na

Can the included 12VHPWR adapter cable fully use the standard, and communicate with a GPU like a PSU that has the native connector? I can't find a conclusive answer in the materials from Corsair.

Since the provided cable just uses normal PCIe connectors, I am assuming it doesn't have the ability to transfer data. But on the other hand; there are two cables going to the 4 pin part of the connector: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/10700487373197?input_string=can+12vhpwr. If I am not mistaken, with the old 6+2 connectors, the 2 cables were theoretically for data.

The new standard has the ability to communicatie between the PSU en GPU about available power. Can the lack of this ability be be limiting?

There isn't any fancy communication going on between the PSU and the graphics card. All it is, is different configurations of pins being shorted to ground or not. 

The included 12VHPWR cable is not an adapter, it is a native cable, just like the CPU, PCIe and SATA cables are also not adapters. 

:)

17 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There isn't any fancy communication going on between the PSU and the graphics card. All it is, is different configurations of pins being shorted to ground or not. 

The included 12VHPWR cable is not an adapter, it is a native cable, just like the CPU, PCIe and SATA cables are also not adapters. 

Adapter is indeed a wrong word choice. 

Would there be any limiting factor in using this cable/configuration, instead of a PSU with an actual 12VHPWR connector on the PSU that CAN communicatie between GPU and PSU?

5 minutes ago, EnzioArdesch said:

Adapter is indeed a wrong word choice. 

Would there be any limiting factor in using this cable/configuration, instead of a PSU with an actual 12VHPWR connector on the PSU that CAN communicatie between GPU and PSU?

As I said, there is none of that communication going on. Sense 0 and sense 1 are used to indicate how much power the cable can supply, and that just depends on which of them are shorted to ground. Sense 2 and sense 3 are optional, and do nothing on any current PSU I'm aware of (although their function is defined in the ATX 3 design guide).

And once again, the 12VHPWR cable on the HXi is just as native as any other PSU with a 12VHPWR cable, the only difference is how it looks. How the connector looks on the PSU side is completely irrelevant to the function of the PSU. You wouldn't think that a green painted PSU is any better or worse than a black painted PSU, same as you shouldn't think that a PSU with a 12VHPWR looking connector on the PSU side is any better or worse than a PSU with Minifit connectors on the PSU side.

26 minutes ago, EnzioArdesch said:

Would there be any limiting factor in using this cable/configuration

They sell it with that cable specifically for use with 12VHPWR cards, no there is no limitation. 

Side note, I'd be curious what you're powering as 1500W is kind of absurd for most single CPU and single GPU systems. 

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

As I said, there is none of that communication going on. Sense 0 and sense 1 are used to indicate how much power the cable can supply, and that just depends on which of them are shorted to ground. Sense 2 and sense 3 are optional, and do nothing on any current PSU I'm aware of (although their function is defined in the ATX 3 design guide).

And once again, the 12VHPWR cable on the HXi is just as native as any other PSU with a 12VHPWR cable, the only difference is how it looks. How the connector looks on the PSU side is completely irrelevant to the function of the PSU. You wouldn't think that a green painted PSU is any better or worse than a black painted PSU, same as you shouldn't think that a PSU with a 12VHPWR looking connector on the PSU side is any better or worse than a PSU with Minifit connectors on the PSU side.

So if I understand correctly you're saying that this Corsair cable will be able to indicate to the GPU how much power there is available. Or are you saying that it can only indicatie how much the cable could handle, and nothing about the actual power available.

Surely PSU's with a native 12VHPWR socket will have the Sense 2 and Sense 3 be able to something (even if not used by current GPU's). Otherwise this (Corsair cable) type of connection would in practice be exactly the same as PSU's with a native socket.

4 minutes ago, EnzioArdesch said:

So if I understand correctly you're saying that this Corsair cable will be able to indicate to the GPU how much power there is available

Yes. All they need to do is connect or not connect the sense pins to ground. This is something so simple you could do at home, by just running a wire between the sense pins and ground.

Surely PSU's with a native 12VHPWR socket will have the Sense 2 and Sense 3 be able to something (even if not used by current GPU's).

Read below.

15 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Sense 2 and sense 3 are optional, and do nothing on any current PSU I'm aware of (although their function is defined in the ATX 3 design guide).

Otherwise this (Corsair cable) type of connection would in practice be exactly the same as PSU's with a native socket.

Read below

15 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Edited by seon123
Something something

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

They sell it with that cable specifically for use with 12VHPWR cards, no there is no limitation. 

Side note, I'd be curious what you're powering as 1500W is kind of absurd for most single CPU and single GPU systems. 

Okay thanks! 

The plan is a i9 14900k with Strix RTX 4090. The current price difference between the 1000 and 1500 watt version is only 28 euro's (discount on the 1500). So might as well overkill future proof the PSU as it's supposed the do service for some years.