Used buyers can be PIAT - a small rant

DeerDK

So I was selling my 2yo RTX 3060 on DBA (Danish marketplace for used items). I had set the price a bit high, but within reason (after some research in both new and used prices) to have some wiggleroom to give the buyer a pricecut but still get a decent price.

I encountered two types of potential buyers that really started to grind my gears.

Type one: This guy started to complain that the price was too high. I said: "okay, that is your opinion. Nobody is forcing you to buy this", and the guy just kept trying to argue that I had priced the GPU too high, without him giving me a counter offer at any point. He said that It would make more sense to buy a new 3060 for a slightly higer price (He compared the price of a MSI Ventus to what I wanted for a MSI Gaming X. I told him that it was a very good way of thinking, he should totally go get a new card then. He didn't cave. After 13 messages back and forth it stopped. Never learned what he was willing to pay...

Type two: "I'll give you 50% and im on my way to pick it up". My polite response "Thank you for the offer, but no thank you. It is way below what im willing to accept". In my mind it was more like "ahahahahah.... no." but I do believe in staying polite. 

One extra persistent bugger kept arguing that I should totally accept as he could come and pick it up same day. Are sellers usually this desperate? This took place on day 2 or 3 of the card being on sale

Seriously, what is it with the "quick sale, huge pricecut" attitude? I was in no rush to get it sold, but maybe that is a common occurence?

I mean, sure, nothing wrong about trying to lowball, but at least have the decency to accept a "no".

In the end I sold it to a very nice young guy from Ukraine for 90 % of the stated price. Put up for sale sunday, sold wensday.

Moral of the story: Don't let the inpolite nag you into giving in (if you are certain you have set the price right).

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Sadly these are all standard practice when buying used products. They try to low-ball you with the argument that the transaction is fast and uncomplicated. But in the end most of the time they also show up with less money than agreed in the hope you still sell your GPU to get rid of it.

If you're not in a hurry to sell then ignore these offers. If that would negatively impact your profile on this website, then answer and say your price expectations are too far apart for an agreement. If they still persist and didn't bring up a better offer, ignore and block them.

In short: Don't waste your time with these people.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Sadly these are all standard practice when buying used products. They try to low-ball you with the argument that the transaction is fast and uncomplicated. But in the end most of the time they also show up with less money than agreed in the hope you still sell your GPU to get rid of it.

If you're not in a hurry to sell then either ignore these offers. If that would negatively impact your profile on this website, then answer and say your price expectations are too far apart for an agreement. If they still persist and didn't bring up a better offer, ignore and block them.

In short: Don't waste your time with these people.

yeah, they can't really affect me on the page, so its annoying but not damaging. If a buyer would turn up and try to lower the price id just tell them to take a hike. Mostly we use a tranfer app directly connetec to our debit card in Denmark called Mobilepay so "i didn't bring enough money" isn't a very convincing argument overhere.

But yes, they would just get a standard rejection and I moved on with my day. The nagging guy was oddly facinating though

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

52 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

So I was selling my 2yo RTX 3060 on DBA (Danish marketplace for used items). I had set the price a bit high, but within reason (after some research in both new and used prices) to have some wiggleroom to give the buyer a pricecut but still get a decent price.

I encountered two types of potential buyers that really started to grind my gears.

Type one: This guy started to complain that the price was too high. I said: "okay, that is your opinion. Nobody is forcing you to buy this", and the guy just kept trying to argue that I had priced the GPU too high, without him giving me a counter offer at any point. He said that It would make more sense to buy a new 3060 for a slightly higer price (He compared the price of a MSI Ventus to what I wanted for a MSI Gaming X. I told him that it was a very good way of thinking, he should totally go get a new card then. He didn't cave. After 13 messages back and forth it stopped. Never learned what he was willing to pay...

Type two: "I'll give you 50% and im on my way to pick it up". My polite response "Thank you for the offer, but no thank you. It is way below what im willing to accept". In my mind it was more like "ahahahahah.... no." but I do believe in staying polite. 

One extra persistent bugger kept arguing that I should totally accept as he could come and pick it up same day. Are sellers usually this desperate? This took place on day 2 or 3 of the card being on sale

Seriously, what is it with the "quick sale, huge pricecut" attitude? I was in no rush to get it sold, but maybe that is a common occurence?

I mean, sure, nothing wrong about trying to lowball, but at least have the decency to accept a "no".

In the end I sold it to a very nice young guy from Ukraine for 90 % of the stated price. Put up for sale sunday, sold wensday.

Moral of the story: Don't let the inpolite nag you into giving in (if you are certain you have set the price right).

Can't blame them for trying to get it at lower price, nor can they blame you for trying to sell it at higher price.

Can't blame them for being persistent at trying, nor can they blame you.

Welcome to doing business.

Fortunately, in online market you only have to click chat/message box and give it a quick read, instead of actually listening to their voice 3 feets away.

If it was me, for the Type one I'd just straightly ask how much they would pay for it.

If they doesn't say, then I'll just ignore until they do give me their counter offer.

If it's too low, then I'll say it's too low and give them the lowest I am willing to sell it for along with saying "Take it or leave it, sorry". I'd then ignore any further reply aside from an "Okay, I'll take it at that price"

If I don't plan to lower price at all, then I'd simply ignore.

Type Two, I'd just answer like how you did.

If I am willing to lower price, then I'd give them the lowest I am willing to go for along with the extra terms (like buyer pick up, today only, etc). If they don't accept, then I'd just ignore until they do.

Not gonna spend my time for a back & forth without atleast a vague finish line. 🤣

Case-by-case thing.

Some peoples are desperate enough, some don't.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, DeerDK said:

yeah, they can't really affect me on the page, so its annoying but not damaging. If a buyer would turn up and try to lower the price id just tell them to take a hike. Mostly we use a tranfer app directly connetec to our debit card in Denmark called Mobilepay so "i didn't bring enough money" isn't a very convincing argument overhere.

But yes, they would just get a standard rejection and I moved on with my day. The nagging guy was oddly facinating though

Here in Germany the most used 2nd hand marketplace is "kleinanzeigen", formerly "eBay Kleinanzeigen". In this app you can get reviewed from buyers, but only if both participants send at least 2 messages in a conversation. So i just reply once with a no and then ignore them if they try to nag further. That way they can't leave a negative review just because of a price disagreement.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I forgot about this pain since I haven't had anything to sell recently.

Some variations I saw:

I hate "what is your best price?" which I can get regardless of what I put up. I point at the listed price and usually don't hear from them again.

Another annoying type of buyer agrees to a price then turns up and haggles for more discount.

For some items which are hard to price, you can tell you went too low if you get 5 responses within 5 minutes of posting 😄 I stick to my listing and usually it's fist come first served. One person took it badly that I reserved it for someone else. Kept spamming me, "cash on hand, I can collect right now". 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I hate "what is your best price?" which I can get regardless of what I put up. I point at the listed price and usually don't hear from them again.

I also hate these "what is your best price?" messages because most of the time (even if you give a discount) they still haggle under your "best price".

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

I also hate these "what is your best price?" messages because most of the time (even if you give a discount) they still haggle under your "best price".

They're especially annoying because I usually come up with what I think is a fair price based on sales elsewhere (lower than ebay). I find if I list that price directly, I get offers lower than it. If I try to compensate by listing higher expecting to drop a bit, I get no responses. No win!

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Can't blame them for trying to get it at lower price, nor can they blame you for trying to sell it at higher price.

Can't blame them for being persistent at trying, nor can they blame you.

Fortunately, in online market you only have to click chat/message box and give it a quick read, instead of actually listening to their voice 3 feets away.

If it was me, for the Type one I'd just straightly ask how much they would pay for it.

If they doesn't say, then I'll just ignore until they do give me their counter offer.

If it's too low, then I'll say it's too low and give them the lowest I am willing to sell it for along with saying "Take it or leave it, sorry". I'd then ignore any further reply asdie from an "Okay, I'll take it at that price"

If I don't plan to lower price at all, then I'd simply ignore.

Type Two, I'd just answer like how you did.

If I am willing to lower price, then I'd give them the lowest I am willing to go for along with the extra terms (like buyer pick up, today only, etc). If they don't accept, then I'd just ignore until they do.

Not gonna spend my time for a back & forth without atleast a vague finish line. 🤣

Case-by-case thing.

Some peoples are desperate enough, some don't.

I hear you. Haggeling is fine but this guys just seemed like he wanted to lower my morale enough to soften me up and make me offer him a better price. Should probably have left after the 2. message, but a part of me sometimes can get a bit poke-the-bear stubborn.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Here in Germany the most used 2nd hand marketplace is "kleinanzeigen", formerly "eBay Kleinanzeigen". In this app you can get reviewed from buyers, but only if both participants send at least 2 messages in a conversation. So i just reply once with a no and then ignore them if they try to nag further. That way they can't leave a negative review just because of a price disagreement.

Den blå avis (DBA) only has a reporting function for scammers IIRC. Haven't had to use it.

Since I only sell face to face, and we use Mobilepay its pretty safe and people can't pull the "i only brought this much".

2 minutes ago, porina said:

They're especially annoying because I usually come up with what I think is a fair price based on sales elsewhere (lower than ebay). I find if I list that price directly, I get offers lower than it. If I try to compensate by listing higher expecting to drop a bit, I get no responses. No win!

Yeah, its the same here. My best price is my current offer. Try to haggle, sure, but the initiative lies with the buyer. Don't ask for a lower list price.

I had set the price at 2000 DKK. It was around the lowest used price i could find. Apparantly the 3060 12 gb is in high demand. So much for the 12 gb being odd when it came out.

Sold it for 1800 DKK.

For reference i paid 3500 DKK back in summer 2021 when the shortage was on its highest, and I think the official list price back then was 4900 DKK (I got it cheaper because the retailer had failed to deliver the RX 5600 xt I had ordered just before the world went mad - Buyer protection states that I could get the same product elsewhere and force the retailer to pay the difference, so they wanted to play ball)

21 minutes ago, porina said:

i get this at least once on every single item i've tried to sell. my default response is:

"my lowest price is what's listed, but i'm open to other offers"

which isn't true, i do have a "real" lowest offer, but i'm not going to haggle with myself for you....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Sadly these are all standard practice when buying used products. They try to low-ball you with the argument that the transaction is fast and uncomplicated.

"50% of asking.... CASH!"

Um, no shit cash. I don't take diner's club.

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

This. May parents used to owned a furniture store, mostly 2nd hand, antique/vintage. It wasn't a flea market type setup though, it was a gorgeous, small, heritage town downtown type boutique shop. Really nice. Anyways, the persistent (see: rude) level of haggling that tried to happen daily was pretty wild. We always tried to explain that the price was the price. I mean perhaps we'd work a little something out on delivery, or a bulk purchase, but in general no.

The attitudes, and even the phrases pepole used convinced me that they'd all just watched Pawn Stars too much.  And to be clear, it was never the ask that offended us, it was the argumentative nature of people afterwards that was unbearable. The entitlement.

12 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

"50% of asking.... CASH!"

Um, no shit cash. I don't take diner's club.

Funny, I'll pick direct transfer any day. 

A: I use my debit card everywhere, so why be stuck with a pile of notes. 

B: I want this sh... Stuff to be as transparent and traceable as possible. Noone can come and claim they got shafted if I have the bank transfer log to prove that everything happened as agreed upon. 

29 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

A: I use my debit card everywhere, so why be stuck with a pile of notes. 

I'm still working through the pile of notes from sales I made during lockdown era.

Personally I'd prefer cash or bank transfer. I avoid paypal for in person collections for anything of value, since there are many reports of false claims of not "receiving" the item to get a refund. Also fees.

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm still working through the pile of notes from sales I made during lockdown era.

Personally I'd prefer cash or bank transfer. I avoid paypal for in person collections for anything of value, since there are many reports of false claims of not "receiving" the item to get a refund. Also fees.

I only do face to face for trading, so it shouldn't be a problem. Not forking out this amount of money to an unknown person on the pinky promise that they will send me the goods. And Mobilepay is basically bank transfer. with no fees

45 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Actually, it's interesting you mentioned that. I was going to go there too, but my post was already too long, lol. E-transfer is pretty much as good as cash (in fact, in my brain I basically lump them together), and yeah, often preferable these days lol.

13 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Not forking out this amount of money to an unknown person on the pinky promise that they will send me the goods. 

I get that. I don't think I bought anything that high in value from a remote private sale. Lower items is lower risk.

I have sold a fair bit that way though without problem.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, Stahlmann said:

they also show up with less money than agreed in the hope you still sell your GPU to get rid of it.

people like this drive me crazy.

Like we agreed to a price, and they obviously brought enough money. They just have to push their luck a little bit more.

Now when ever I meet people pulling this shit, I just say: you know what, I suddently don't wanna sell it anymore. 

And I will not sell to them no matter the price they offer.

They fk with my good mood. I'll fk with wasting their time. seems like a fair trade.

I've received some very nasty messages after I started doing this, but it's more hilarious this way, cuz then I know they're pissed. XD