PSU Upgrade Error?

MrNoBlood

ALL MY COMPONENTS ARE FINE!

Just need help troubleshooting the psu

Recently switched from a 750w EVGA PSU, To a Thermaltake 1200w.

So I plugged everything into a separate mobo and the psu works with everything plugged up but, when i plug it into my main motherboard it just doesnt boot up at all, I have tried the following:

1. Check the Power Supply.

2. Check the Connections.

3. Try a Minimal Configuration: Start with a minimum configuration with only essential components connected. This includes the power supply, motherboard, one stick of memory (unless the memory is paired), and the CPU.

4. Check the Power Switch: The issue could be with the power switch and its wires Try to start your computer by shorting the power switch pins on your motherboard.

5. Clear CMOS: Clearing the CMOS memory of your motherboard can help reset it to its factory default state and clear any settings related to your previous power supply.

6. Check for Physical Obstructions: Look for any physical obstructions like a dropped screw on or under your motherboard. Also, ensure that you only have standoffs in places where there are holes for them on your motherboard.

7. Check Your Components.

So far im thinking its my mobo (gigabyte ga-z270-hd3)
doesnt support that high of a wattage, but how would I figure that out?

i know the basics, check the manufacturer, model number, model name, all the pizzazz, and their website, but it didnt mention watts. I even CTRL+F the whole search page and web page.

All help is welcome even goofy comments and unrelated texts. ❤️ thank you!

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Did you reuse any of the cables from the old PSU?

Yes actually, I tried both cables, one from the old and the new, and nothing worked. I even made sure to try it with both psus and both of them give the same result. they work just dont boot for some reason. I tried both psus on my friends rig and they both worked perfectly fine, so im just confused

Don't mix cables:

Though your components might not be dead, the cables could kill all components.

I edit my posts more often than not

18 minutes ago, MrNoBlood said:

Yes actually, I tried both cables, one from the old and the new, and nothing worked. I even made sure to try it with both psus and both of them give the same result. they work just dont boot for some reason. I tried both psus on my friends rig and they both worked perfectly fine, so im just confused

PSU makers use different pin outs. So you may have just sent 12V right into a 5V... or sent positive 12V to negative

So your components might be dead... even though the PSU survived

And... not sure what's your EVGA's model... but I think because you use the same cable... you sent 5V right into the PSU good pin on to the mother board... Big F

And yeah.. as you can see they may look the same... they are very different

image.thumb.png.8d1dcaf3e30269fb7fa1337c032de5c1.png

That said, I am not 100% sure if the diagrams are accurate

https://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/power-supply-pinout-diagrams/thermaltake-pinout-diagrams/

https://pc-mods.com/blogs/psu-pinout-repository/evga-psu-supernova-cables-pinout

31 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Don't mix cables:

Though your components might not be dead, the cables could kill all components.

yes true, but I haven't mixed and matched, I have used a same cable pair the entire build, thank you for the recc