This comment made me SMH :/

AlexGoesHigh

i go to poligon to see if they have something worthwhile, i see they posted about the DFM release date and read what they said, go to comments and i find this reply to a guy that its seems he's in the loop about the game, when i read he did make some interesting points, at first i thought he's just a trash talking hater mindlessly speaking but then he touched very interesting points, like all the updates are different yet with very similar content and the lack of post pax footage (though rsi extended preview had a lot of stuff), i mean i dunno, just read it, maybe id take it too serious for a hate comment, its late so that can be a factor on my im SMH about it

pBcBSld.jpg

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I actually had this idea before...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I can see how this is worse then EA.

I don't want to pay 150 dollars for a ship I want. Give me a solid base price that comes with more then one ship pls.

Im not even sure if im going to get SC, its too expensive.

What he says is mostly valid, the PAX presentation and the live stream was ridiculous and very poorly executed. (given they had less than ideal locale but still, it's heavy cash product I expect better.)

I can see how this is worse then EA.

I don't want to pay 150 dollars for a ship I want. Give me a solid base price that comes with more then one ship pls.

Im not even sure if im going to get SC, its too expensive.

well 150 gets you the high end stuff, but for simple game access 30 is enough, but i see your point since that the one you want, my problem with him is that even though his comment has good fundamentals, they are solid counters to it if you browse the game forums very often (which i hardly look at)

nothing is perfect and TBH all these delays gets to a bothersome point but i'm going to keep my patience until the 29 and then is when i get a baseline if my 65 bucks were worth it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So true. Makes me sick to see what they are doing and how people are falling for it.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has extreme concerns when it comes to this game and all it's aspects.

Guy's have probably heard me complain more than enough about how they keep begging us to subscribe or that I hate how much everything costs and shit.

Ugh, hopefully we end up getting a good product, because if this game isn't the greatest thing since bread that came sliced, then it's going to end up in the biggest shit storm the internet's ever seen.

You do realize that we are donating to the development of the game yeah? We are not buying the game or pre-ordering the game or anything of the sort. We are giving a donation. For that donation we are also getting a little something from CIG in the form of a ship and access to alpha and beta. And you aren't forced to buy any specific ship. You can just as well wait until launch buy the game and then play the game to get what you want. All of these ships will be available in game you know, for free! I want an Idris but I'm not going to spend a fortune to have it first day, instead I will play the game and get it that way. 

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

I will agree that a lot of the stuff put out by CIG does have a lot of marketing but I look at that and think well they are not making this game to make the kids happy they are making it to make themselves some money, just like everyone else does and to do different would be idiotic. The subscriber stuff is fair enough if you do it that is up to you.

Of course things can change, I see changes coming out with patches to AAA titles, some of this changes core gameplay, and these are released games, I point out again that this stuff is still way back in the very early Alpha stages we are looking at years until the full thing is released, do you want them to stick to older technologies and methods, not refine any story line or mechanics along that process? 

As to being expensive well, what damn packages are you looking at? you can get into the game for what about $40/45 and that is a guess because I cant be bothered to look it up secondly on this point as has been pointed out you are not buying only the game at this point but a view into how its coming along with Alpha and beta access, for some this might not be worth it but for me a person that enjoys watching things change and get built its nice. I have spent more than most, mainly because I cant be trusted with my own bank card but also because from what I see so far this is something I want to be a part of. I dont know what their release model will be or how much the final thing will cost but meh...

A point that does have me a little concerned is that they are very far back on the fulfilment of the goals some things are sort of left to the wayside for the moment, now I don't know if they are getting worked on or not but at some point the goals will have to stop and it will probably have to be a good amount of time before their hoped release if they want to get all the content done.

Overall I am hopeful... this is a lot of the normal stuff that comes about when building anything, it will look half arsed to shit and held together with bits of wire and bubblegum until it is released as well someone who is in depth into looking at the game has also seen all the faults, the bugs, and had the idea of "Is this possible?" Saying this I have put some money into it, probably about as much as I would into something like Battlefield and all the doodad expansions and premium! so it is not all that much and I am already getting enjoyment out of the game, we haven't even played any of it yet, but purely from the people I have met in the org as well as watching the development. so it might flop and it might not who knows at this point, the most we can do is ride it out.

If you have misgivings about buying into it now.... Dont! If you want the hope that something could, would or may be possible... Do it! But do it looking at it from the perspective that nothing is solid it might work it might not.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Cant say i havent worried about this being a cash grab.  why would they be in a hurry to release the game when they make so much money on pledges?  And if there is already over 400,000 subscribers with alpha beta access and access to the final game how many more copies of the game do they expect to sell?  I am super excited for this game and cant wait to play it but i have worried.  This has potential to be a huge disaster if they cant produce.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I honestly feel the biggest problem CIG created for itself was allow the backers so much access to the entire operation. Because now that they're not allowing us into these behind the scenes moments it does cause people to start to panic or become uneasy with their investments. I remember one of the most common things I use to read was, "I love how CIG is handling it's public relations by letting us see what they're doing through shows like Wingman's Hangar." Now I see comments more to the effect of, "Wingman's is getting kind of old and I wish they'd tell us more about DFM and what's going on with that."

Unlike most games you only see the E3 or PAX footage then you hear nothing for a year, then remember like, "Hey, why isn't Killzone 2 out yet? I remember the footage being shown before the PS3 was even out." But it's no big deal at all. Then again that's a very different circumstance as you didn't buy your PS3 to only play Killzone. Whereas here we purchased our ships for much more than the occasional "1AM bored so I feel like checking out my hangar and towel" toy. Though I'm sure plenty are to the point of checking on their ship before work as if their hangar is parked in a suburban ghetto and are looking for vandals... I've been guilty of that. Don't blame me, that Constellation looks bad ass. It's like the Normandy moment in ME2 every single time I log in:

But in all seriousness, I'm actually not worried about the current condition of the game or with DFM. Nor am I worried about them running off with our investments. Once Sandy quits, then I might worry. Though I do wish I wouldn't be teased so much with empty promises by CIG, but I understand that with a game that has so much scope, so much vision and a crap ton of expectation, they're likely pressured constantly. CIG does seem like a 'lax company though, but I won't attribute this to the slow release dates. I'm just chalking it up as the normal issues which plague many games. Setbacks. Financial problems.

I'm getting off topic.

CIG has raised $43,000,000+.  Most games which are nowhere near as ambitious cost much more than this. But we don't say anything about those when they're delayed because we're kept out of the loop and we have no upfront investment in them. Then again with most games they're not entirely crowd funded. But even when you buy into an early access product on Steam you aren't given much information other than empty promises until those are fulfille- KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Sorry, watching Akira with a coworker right now since they're updating all our lab equipment.

Personally I don't feel we're at the point which should warrant worry or concern. But this is a subjective statement. Objectively, when you invest money in something you should always worry until it's finished.

But contrary to what I'm stating, I'm not trying to defend CIG. If so many promises are made they should be giving us more information about how they're trying to keep those promises. Even if the game is nowhere near the point they expected it, if they were more upfront about it the public might have more patience. But as everyone is stating above, because we're being given more "BLANK now for sale" or "Subscribe for a special shop which you pay to enter, like paying the gas to cross the border to shop DUTY FREE" it's really taxing on our patience.

We're all really invested as it is. And not just financially. Cause I don't think so much it's the money we're spending that's an issue. Or that they're showing different ways to make money. For all we know, maybe they actually need more money and since they made a premature promise of 400,000 citizens then they close off their large fund accruement (Spelling!? Wait... Is this even a word?!) which has peaked for the time being. It's more like they're relying on the current backer to spend even more money to help the game. And I have zero incentive to want to spend anymore money.

I keep jumping subjects. Hell, I shouldn't even be on LTT. I'm at work, right now!

..... Gonna head to chat.

I dunno. Random brain thinkingmajigger while I'm waiting to get to work and watch Tetsuyo kill Snuggles and the cartoon car from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

I disagree (sorry, but I think this is nonsense).

No one is forcing you to DONATE (Crowd-funding is inherently more or less of a gamble, and obviously the developers will encourage you to participate or what's the point ? That's not robbery, no one's holding a gun to your head...).

If you don't think you know enough about the game, why not wait till release, buy the game if you like it and then get the ships you want through in-game money / rewards ? Who said you HAD to pay 150$ to have a ship ? Who said you HAD to pledge to get the game when it's released ? They made it pretty clear that you'll be able to get every ship in-game.

Donations are for people who have faith in this project, want to help realizing it, and who 'trust' the crew (Well, as far as you can trust complete strangers, mind you... Let's say 'trust their professionalism').

If you don't, it's easy enough to go somewhere else, play other games and wait for the PU / Squadron 42 release...

I think the difference between other editor's and CIG's policies is pretty clear. Let's take Forza Motorsport 5 for example : you buy the game at full price, then you HAVE to pay again if you want to unlock, let's say the Lamborghini Reventon. No matter how much money you have in-game, you have to pay real money for the DLC.

It's been told again and again that Star Citizen won't be like that (which takes us back to the issue of trusting the developers, don't pledge if you don't), and people still willingly and knowingly buy ships with real money, instead of paying for the cheapest game package, so I find it it hard to blame CIG... (well, obviously it'll take a very long time to acquire an Idris or other high-end ships, but most MMO work the same way.)

I don't get why you're complaining, maybe that's just me but I thought the rules were pretty clear when I made my pledge.

As for the lack of solid infos, anyone slightly used to Rockstar's way of communication won't be overly surprised. We're talking about a game that's supposed to be decently playable as a MMO in more than a year, probably two...

Not sure what the name of the person who posted that post at Polygon is, but I believe he/she is a known anti-CIG troll. Every time there is a post about star citizen on any gaming website they end up posting almost the exact same BS, regardless of what the article might be about exactly. 

He makes no sense. He's saying that CIG is asking for more money to release the game, when that has never happened. While they [edit to finish my post] still accept donations, it's not like they are sitting on their ass. TRhey have released tons of videos on them working on stuff. 

I'm sorry this troll doesn't realize that designing games take time, and this is a AAAA title. They are very ambitous on what they want to make. If it had been a year and they had nothing to show for it (and by nothing I mean not a single video) then I would understand people freaking out. 

Anyway like I said that person is a known troll. 

The only thing about Star Citizen I can barely believe (even if I really want to) is procedural and atmospheric flight (I know, CR described it as a pipe dream but still hasn't completely ruled it out.
We're talking about hundreds of planets (thousands ?), and it usually looks boring and lifeless when it's just procedural, CIG's desire to use procedural mixed with hand-crafted seems pretty ambitious. But that's the beauty of not having a release date set in stone and being crowd-funded, anything is possible, given time.
I don't care if we get it in 2020, or even later, give it the time it needs and give us the game we all dreamed about as little kids (I know, I know, what a poet...)

smh at the people who don't understand what a Fundraiser is.

Of course Chris Roberts is 'asking' for money, that is the whole point of crowdfunding, ie to raise funds to make a product. And he isn't asking for ever more money, he is saying that if more can be raised, they will be able to implement such and such additional features into the final game. Even if all pledges suddenly came to a complete and total halt, CIG will still deliver the game. It isn't like they're suddenly putting a gun to people's heads saying 'Oh sorry we need more money otherwise we can't finish the game.' (which is a bit like the Oculus Rift because they underestimated their total costs and the project had to be rescued by Facebook but that's a different discussion for a different day).

So yes, Space Citizen is to be delivered. Regardless of whether any of the stretchgoals are reached. The fundraiser for the game was completed. The goal to make the game has been reached a while ago. That was the original kickstarter campaign. Like many kickstarter campaigns they have since moved to their own website and involve the community with updates and active involvement in the RSI forums. They are also giving people the option to make additional pledges to reach various stretchgoals. A lot of this is simply to not have to have actual investors come in who could potentially have a lot sway in how the final game looks like. Instead they involve the community and take feedback directly from us. (well, reasonable feedback)

The same model will be used in-game. That's going to be the business model. This is how the game will be funded down the road, as there will be no monthly subscription fees. If you feel you have to keep up with the virtual 'Joneses' or just like shiny new things and need that instant gratification, then of course CIG is banking on that and they open the doors to their virtual galactic equivalent of Best Buy wide open for us to spend our RL money so we can show off our cool new engine or bad-ass weapon or exotic space fish to our online friends.

In fact, people are already doing this now. Just look at all the Freelancers and Constellations and multiple package owners in the forums, buying more and more ships and upgrades and customizations right down to virtual decorations such as fishtanks, lamps and towels which don't even have anything to with gameplay! Crazy? Perhaps, but the point is: no one is forcing them. Nor will it be necessary in terms of being able to play the game when it is released. And being able to play the game starts at $30 for an Aurora pledge. That's right, if you're content with a starter ship and would like to pledge now and support the project, $30 get's you in.

So you see, it is not expensive at all - unless you want to spend more money because you think you need a better ship. In terms of funding the game's various stretchgoals CIG obviously wont stand in your way if you choose to upgrade and spend more money. After all, that is the whole funding mechanism, now and later. But it's not pay-to-win and there will be no grind.
 (note: CR stated in 10FTC 5/26 that there will be a cap as to how many UEC a player will be able to purchase within a given period of time).

As for "I purchased xyz ship because I thought I could use it for muffle-bending asteroids and now in the new updated ship stats they dropped the muffle-bender from the furnace in the ship! I demand a refund".

Well, you weren't promised anything other than a digital copy of the game and a 'free' ship as a thank you. It has also been clearly communicated that while the Stats are subject and LIKELY to change, the overall role of the ship will still perform as outlined in the pledge description.

Technically a pledge is neither a 'purchase' nor a 'donation' but something in between as the kickstarter terms state:
"Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill"

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. But chances are neither are you so that makes us equally qualified to interpret the legal terms of crowdfunding campaigns.

Still feeling like you didn't get your money's worth?

For argument's sake, let's assume you indeed made a purchase as if you were strolling out of your local Best Buy store, game-and-goodies in bag and receipt in hand. 
Let's do some math: If I were to purchase the game at retail, the average AAA game these days runs around 59.99. The retail game will include a basic starter ship such as the Aurora, if not the Aurora. At some point I will have an option to purchase in-game money and use that towards a better ship/ upgrades.

So that's 59.99, plus the option of spending additional resources to upgrade my ship.

How much will a ship cost? There have been a number of statements in Wingman's Hangar and by CR regarding this. Pretty much the same as we have been seeing, which is anywhere between $25-$70 for the 'starter ships' and all the way up to something like $1.250 for an Idris. The difference will be that at retail, you will most likely need to purchase game currency first, and then use it towards any ship or systems upgrades. (Right now there is no such 'conversion' except for Weapons Systems and in-Hangar items such as the fish-tank.)

Example: At the current 'exchange rate' of  1 USD = 1.000 UEC, and an Aurora at 75k UEC/ Idris at 3.75mil UEC, this translates into an Aurora costing $25 and an Idris running you $1.250 - if you wanted to purchase any of the ships with real money. Like I said. People are already doing it now and the game isn't even released yet. At the same time, it is perfectably justifiable to spend whatever you want and can afford responsibly. People regularly drop far more on their various hobbies.

There have been numerous statements there will be no grind. Other than what you put yourself under, of course. Will it be helpful to make in-game purchases? Highly likely. Should you? That's up to you. But it's not a pay-to-win game.

The Breakdown:

At Retail
Assuming the Aurora is already the starter ship, the next cheapest option to upgrade your ship is the Avenger, which runs 180k UEC/ 60 USD. That comes out to be $120 for the game + a ship. Or, if you just want to stick with the starter ship that's included in the game, you pay 59.99 and you're all set. It will certainly be possible to just play the game earning creds from missions and save up enough that way to purchase a bigger better ship, with UEC currency that you earn in-game. It's up to you though.

Pros: If you wait until retail launch you can make a better informed decision as to gameplay and ship stats.

Cons: You pay full retail price.

Pledge
If you pledge to purchase the game now, your reward is a 'free' ship (equivalent to your donation) and some backer perks on top of the finished game. In the case of the Aurora you will have received the finished game at 1/2 price of projected retail price, plus your backer perks.

Pros: You get a 'free' ship and some perks on top of the finished game.

Cons: You might suffer a heart attack.

TL;DR: If you are a player who purchases the retail game and decide to purchase a ship too (which is optional), the next cheapest ship after the Aurora will be the Avenger at $60 /180k UEC). Using the above mentioned math, that brings the total to $119.99. No perks of course at retail.

Or you can just stick with the vanilla ship that will be incl. in the game price at 59.99.

Either way - this translates into a projected savings of ~$60 for packages such as mine, the 325a, and into a $30 savings for the Aurora package. Plus the perks for backing early.

To be sure, the ship prices are pretty much final as they are stated above. The price for the game is speculation on my part but 59.99 seems like a pretty reasonable ballpark. However, even if the game was to cost say, 99.99 - the formula still applies. I assume there will be 'Deluxe Editions' that come with a small discount and perhaps some extra game items (maps, modifiers, decorations).

For us backers that's a pretty good return if you ask me. I really like my fishtank. It stands right close by my 325a LTI in my Discount Hangar. I love it!

No, really. I am happy with my backer perks. This way I get to start the game with a better ship over stock and I only paid slightly more than what the game will cost after launch. If I need a new ship I can always get one down the road. Or new fish.

Which ship should you buy? Hard to say with the stats still not finalized. Stats and such are sketchy and it is hard if not impossible at this point to put anything into any real meaningful context. Without a proper frame of reference most of the numbers remain just that. Or terms like 'Null Cargo Mass' which sounds impressive but means nothing. Well, not in real life anyway, but the fact remains it's a made up term. As the game development progresses and balances are tuned, these numbers may change suddenly and without warning. Use the stats you find on the RSI website as a rudimentary guideline at best. Really, don't use them at all to make a decision as to which ship to choose.

Take a look at what the role says in the description in the pledge store and what might fit your play-style. While the details are subject to change, the overall role description should give a good indication which play-style a ship might be best suited for. Note that some ships (starting with the 'Freelancer' pledge) are larger, carry additional cargo space and weapons and require additional characters to pilot and man. Unless you can man these vessels with friends you will need to hire NPC's to fill any empty crew slots. - I suppose you could try to pilot such a vessel solo. But you'd probably be busier than St. Peter on judgement day. - For the larger vessels, remember to factor in such things as higher hangar fees, higher fuel cost and higher landing fees. Of course the trade-off is bigger cargo and thus potentially higher payout first and foremost, and bigger/ more weapons and longer range due to higher fuel capacity second.

I should note here that even the higher tiered packages merely come "with the game", ie, you are saving the projected cost for the game of 59.99. You now already pay full price for the ships as they will cost at retail later (eg $275 Constellation = 825k UEC). In addition to the 'digital' backer rewards, the higher tiered packages also have some extra physical swag like a spaceship-shaped USB drive, a hard-cover book and maps).

I have a strong hunch that later in the game you will be able to sell your ship(s) for UEC and get something else in return - while keeping whatever perks you received with your pledge package. It has been confirmed that the current backer perks will end up being tied to the account rather than the pledge package. What this means is: don't sweat it. You can later melt your ship and exchange it for something else, and still get to keep your pledge rewards. Take it all with a grain of salt. It's a game.

Do your research. Don't believe the hype. If you don't like it or if you are unsure, then don't pledge. If you don't like it and are unsure and decide to pledge anyway, that's on you. Please. Don't go crying in the forums demanding "refunds" because you failed to make an informed decision.

I pledged because I am familiar with Robert's works and I trust him to deliver. I want to be part of the beginning of an epic Space Sim. In return I received a bag full of 'free' goodies as a Thank you and a promise for a digital copy of the finished game.

What's up with the delays you say?

I have spent far too much money on kickstarter campaigns over the years  ;) and none of the developers I have supported has been so in touch and in communication with me as CIG is. Not even remotely. Some I never heard from until the product was released. Some sent me an email with an update once in a while. Others were fancier and had websites with more or less regular updates. But nothing like CIG is doing, I mean they are bending over backwards with updates, staying in touch with the community and actively involving the community on a weekly/ bi-weekly basis.

*shrug* I mean, seriously, you think that after everything CIG has put in there will never be a game? Or that CIG is holding out on us? Or even that Chris Roberts is some sort of conman? 'Cmon.

Someone once said 'If you can't handle the anxiety, don't help crowdfund a game.'

Cheers  ;)

i7-3770k@4.5GHz | GA-Z77-UD3H | evga GTX 770@1250MHz | 8GB Samsung 'Miracle' RAM@1600MHz | 60GB OCS SSD (OS only) | 2x320GB WD Blue RAID0 | Antec CP-850