A full refrigerant cooling loop?

JovanD

So i have this idea floating about in my head, like would it work if you chopped off the evaporator of an AC system and soldered a waterblock in stead, like have a waterblock be the evaporator, so cold refrigerant would be blasting at CPU directly.

3 minutes ago, JovanD said:

So i have this idea floating about in my head, like would it work if you chopped off the evaporator of an AC system and soldered a waterblock in stead, like have a waterblock be the evaporator, so cold refrigerant would be blasting at CPU directly.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

That's cool, if done with mini split AC, you wouldn't ever have a noise issue 🤣

14 minutes ago, JovanD said:

Can it work? kind of. Very dumb idea to do in the long run, not very efficient, and will cause FAR more issues then it solves. 360mm AIO gets most of the job done with most CPUs, and with a bit of tuning is more then enough. You can do Custom cooling with Dual 360 if you really need it but otherwise there is diminishing returns for it.

IF it ever leaked you would have a nightmare cleaning it up and plugging it until it got fixed. Would never recommend doing this since it generally costs more then just doing a custom loop.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Can it work? kind of. Very dumb idea to do in the long run, not very efficient, and will cause FAR more issues then it solves. 360mm AIO gets most of the job done with most CPUs, and with a bit of tuning is more then enough. You can do Custom cooling with Dual 360 if you really need it but otherwise there is diminishing returns for it.

IF it ever leaked you would have a nightmare cleaning it up and plugging it until it got fixed. Would never recommend doing this since it generally costs more then just doing a custom loop.

I don't think you understand, the dumber and impractical, the cooler it is, as in the "cool" 😎 factor

I am pretty sure every possible cooling solution has been previously tried, I used to do extreme cooling well over a decade ago, peltiers, phase...it was only for overclocking purposes (serious overclocking) and involved silicon spraying the motherboard and covering with neoprene to address the build up of ice.

2 hours ago, JovanD said:

It was pretty popular a decade or 2 ago with commercial systems like the prometia mach ii gt

imo not really worth it till you get way down in temps, hence why id rather a cascade phase change system or a phase change system that uses the joule thomson effect, you can do some serious ocs at -100c

not to mention the cpu itself seems to draw less power for a given voltage/freq at those low temps so the colder the better since its a positive feedback loop

Id totally build one if i had the money, 6ghz+ allcore or even 7ghz allcore for daily sounds fun

If you are going into impracticality atleast make it give some good results not some pathetic sub ambient shit that a watcerchiller can do

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

gas leak?

I dont really see how youd clean a gas leak up, but maybe an oil leak

Yes costs more and absolutely annihilates custom loop since you can hit subzero temps

even if you build a performance oriented loop with a massive car radiator which would be a ton cheaper, maybe sheer heat dissipation capability would be better but theres only so much you can do for die to cooler heat transfer

if were talking performance

Air cooler -> aio -> car radiator loop -> phase cooler

Normal custom loops are aesthetic focused, a minor upgrade from an aio, and absolutely annihilated by a car radiator loop which tend to be much cheaper

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

It was pretty popular a decade or 2 ago with commercial systems like the prometia mach ii gt

imo not really worth it till you get way down in temps, hence why id rather a cascade phase change system or a phase change system that uses the joule thomson effect, you can do some serious ocs at -100c

not to mention the cpu itself seems to draw less power for a given voltage/freq at those low temps so the colder the better since its a positive feedback loop

Id totally build one if i had the money, 6ghz+ allcore or even 7ghz allcore for daily sounds fun

If you are going into impracticality atleast make it give some good results not some pathetic sub ambient shit that a watcerchiller can do

gas leak?

I dont really see how youd clean a gas leak up, but maybe an oil leak

Yes costs more and absolutely annihilates custom loop since you can hit subzero temps

even if you build a performance oriented loop with a massive car radiator which would be a ton cheaper, maybe sheer heat dissipation capability would be better but theres only so much you can do for die to cooler heat transfer

if were talking performance

Air cooler -> aio -> car radiator loop -> phase cooler

Normal custom loops are aesthetic focused, a minor upgrade from an aio, and absolutely annihilated by a car radiator loop which tend to be much cheaper

No the refrigerant leaking since these tend to either hook THAT up to cool it, or use it as a base for the cooling loop and that cools the water down.  

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No the refrigerant leaking since these tend to either hook THAT up to cool it, or use it as a base for the cooling loop and that cools the water down.  

Wouldnt that just be another failiure point? You already have the phase system to deal with, hooking that to water would only add points of failiure (pump, tubes, etc.) And reduce your coolest temp, though i guess theres extra thermala mass from the water but then again you could just build a beefier block with more copper

Those motors won't hold up.  To cool a CPU like you are thinking you need something like:

https://www.chromaus.com/product_Cobra_Temperature_Forcing_System.php

If you are not using something very industrial it won't hold up to the constant running and heat load dissipation.   Source, this is some of the stuff I do for a living in the semiconductor space.