I leveled up my house water cooling!

AlexTheGreatish

Using the pool to cool Linus' computers is working great... for the computers. For the humans though it is too dang hot.

I've noticed that you have been posting videos daily for the last week-ish...

I hope this doesn't lead to the same issues you have had in the recent past as things go forward 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

16 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I hope this doesn't lead to the same issues you have had in the recent past as things go forward 

It has been a good minute since the original video was posted. I would wager alot of the work was spread out over a few days and they are just now releasing. For example, jake and his dad did the plumbing outside. I will be starting this new video in just a moment so we will see if my perspective changes.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 minute ago, TylerD321 said:

It has been a good minute since the original video was posted. I would wager alot of the work was spread out over a few days and they are just now releasing. For example, jake and his dad did the plumbing outside. I will be starting this new video in just a moment so we will see if my perspective changes.

Oh, I agree with you, I was just making a point. 

PS My preferred release schedule for this would have been spaced out by a day or two between with early release on FP, seeing as that's what was promised to me when I first signed up 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Them posting more isn't surprising. Them going from few uploads overnight to daily is unusual.

People never go out of business.

Would there be any benefit of putting a small single room AC unit in the server room as well to drop the room temperature a bit more as well or would this hurt the "pool heating" capability?

Main Gaming Machine

Are you just mix copper water blocks with aluminum car radiator? Have I missed something?

54 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

i a lot of the 'linus's house' videos are part of the same "project" so to say, and they're not necessarily filmed in order. it's a good thing that they *can* release daily videos, as long as they dont feel that they *have* to release daily videos. that's the difference.

Just now, bartosz325 said:

Are you just mix copper water blocks with aluminum car radiator? Have I missed something?

the car radiators are on the "outside loop", the loop that goes into the computers passes trough a heat exchanger. i also presume these loops are stuffed with biocide and corrosion inhibitor and they've learned from whole room watercooling on that part.

Anyone else getting a little stunod with the home tech videos? I guess it's a lull season for tech developments as a whole and so they need filler, but in that case I'd love to see some more videos on unusual devices or factory tours again, some more in-depth product reviews than what Short Circuit offers, or even just some tech roundups/buyers' guides since we're getting into that season.

Pretty much every other video these days is about Linus upgrading his home setup, and as fun as they can be to occasionally check into and see the antics ensue, I seriously can't bring myself to care enough about what a guy with far more money than me is doing to further smart-ify a home already far nicer than my own that my eyes don't glaze over when I see the day's upload is yet another home tech video. I've stopped trying to force myself through watching each one because there's nothing new I'm getting out of them at this point besides "look at this nice new house I've moved into".

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

1 minute ago, VinLAURiA said:

Anyone else getting a little stunod with the home tech videos? I guess it's a lull season for tech as a whole, but I'd love to see some more videos on unusual devices or factory tours again, some more in-depth product reviews than what Short Circuit offers, or even just some tech roundups/buyers' guides since we're getting into that season.

Pretty much every other video these days is about Linus upgrading his home setup, and as fun as they can be to occasionally check into and see the antics ensue, I seriously can't bring myself to care enough about what a guy with far more money than me is doing to further smart-ify a home already far nicer than my own that my eyes don't start glazing over when I see the day's upload is yet another home tech video.

I am the opposite honestly, I really love to see these videos of how technology can be used in creative ways

Main Gaming Machine

A needle valve and a flow gauge for each system could help ensure more "even" flow between the systems. Though at the downside of a bit higher flow resistance for the pump.

Also, the lines out to the pool could have been separated a lot further away from each other and had some insulation, currently they leak warmth from hot to cold on the way out to the pool, recycling the heat in the lines and effectively increasing thermal resistance. (the more heat that is allowed to leak between the lines, the less cooling the pool will provide. This is actually somewhat common for ventilation systems on larger buildings where one wants to exchange air with the outside world but not exchange thermal energy in the process. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation)

Also, Alex's comment about "how to make it without 3d printing" is so apt. Yes, a piece of wood were the "fix all issues" of the olden days, together with duct tape.

Hard to tell from the video, but if the hot water heater for the house is in the same room, should've switched to a heat pump/hybrid hot water heater. Works great for my basement server room :)

5 minutes ago, DTD_1 said:

Hard to tell from the video, but if the hot water heater for the house is in the same room, should've switched to a heat pump/hybrid hot water heater. Works great for my basement server room 🙂

Yes, a heat pump could have just used that warm water as its "cold" side.
However, 33 C water is already warm as far as in floor heating goes.

To be fair, Linus could likely just take an outdoor air to water heat pump and place on the wall in the server room and call it a day as far as warm tap water is concerned.

18 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

A needle valve and a flow gauge for each system could help ensure more "even" flow between the systems. Though at the downside of a bit higher flow resistance for the pump.

meh.. that's a lot of moving parts, it would make more sense to just design a new block that has equal(ish) flow resistance to all ports, and mounts the other way so gravity doesnt affect things.

it also largely does not matter, unless maybe one of the machines has a much more restricted flow path than the others, while generating a lot more heat.

in this, it might make more sense to just have a "standardized flow resistance" in each machine... but again, as long as it's "within reason" there's so much cooling performance here that it doesnt matter.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

meh.. that's a lot of moving parts, it would make more sense to just design a new block that has equal(ish) flow resistance to all ports, and mounts the other way so gravity doesnt affect things.

it also largely does not matter, unless maybe one of the machines has a much more restricted flow path than the others, while generating a lot more heat.

in this, it might make more sense to just have a "standardized flow resistance" in each machine... but again, as long as it's "within reason" there's so much cooling performance here that it doesnt matter.

Personally I wouldn't consider gravity of major concern in this setup. The pressure difference in that fairly short water column would be fairly marginal compared to the flow resistance variations from one water block to the next.

A needle valve is likewise not much of a moving part. And the flow gauge can just be "this system seems warmer than the rest for the same workload", and therefore require a bit more open needle valve. It is a set and forget kind of thing. Ie, "standardize flow resistance of each system." as you allude to in your last paragraph. (or rather standardize flow resistance to peak "expected" system power dissipation.)

But in the end, as we both say, it largely doesn't matter. There is plenty of cooling to go around. And I would rather focus on other creature comforts like quick disconnects and such, ease of maintenance.

be careful with that power connector.
Better run 2-3 power brick, to power the fans / 2 , and RGB controllers separately.

The SATA power connector is notorious for melting and shorting when loaded even below the amp rating. 

And the molex to sata adapters are usually garbage quality, they are literally fire starters. The saying "molex to SATA loos all your data", didn't come out from nothing.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

I agree with Linus RGB for this usecase is trash. 

I expect Linus to upgrade it to Noctua NF-F1* fans down the line, since these are much better suited for high/long term usage

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Genuine question: Why did you go with the hassle of 24 120mm fans instead of just using a couple of Noctua's 200mm models? Noctua even sells them in a 5V variant that comes with a USB-Adapter so you could just have run them off of any old phone charger instead of jank-fitting a SATA plug to a notebook power supply. 

I mean you could tell me "because RGB and it looks cool" but you'd loose since i find Noctua's giant fans to be the far cooler product. 😁

You should use a throttled blowiematron fan for that AC adapter directly, no heatsink. Or maybe mount on the ground in concert with a fan because concrete is a decent heat sink.

Edit: [ And possibly get a 2nd adapter and wire in parallel to distribute the load]

As ScottJarriel6761 said on YouTube comment, getting a heatpump water heater would help reduce temperature and humidity! 

Edited by danwat1234

I really think Linus messed up with his room cooling situation by not placing the rads as close to the server as possible. There is no way he is close to the saturation point of the radiators by placing them in the room and now the servers have a much larger volume to heat up and the rads are going to be less efficient. Losing a lot of cooling potential by putting them that much further away from the primary heat source. It would have been much better to just but another server rack door and then mounting everything to that rack door. 

Also the power supply is really not good. Would be much better to use something like the meanwell powersupply to convert to 24V and then setup a couple dc-dc buck converts to step down the voltage and power a bank of fans off each buck converter. Then could run something like a RPI or Arduino with a temp probe to control the fans (no reason to run them 100% all the time). Using the RPI or Arduino would also allow RGB control off the GPIO headers. 

9 hours ago, dgschrei said:

Genuine question: Why did you go with the hassle of 24 120mm fans instead of just using a couple of Noctua's 200mm models? Noctua even sells them in a 5V variant that comes with a USB-Adapter so you could just have run them off of any old phone charger instead of jank-fitting a SATA plug to a notebook power supply. 

I mean you could tell me "because RGB and it looks cool" but you'd loose since i find Noctua's giant fans to be the far cooler product. 😁

One possible problem with that is the spacing of the fans on the radiator. It looks like the 120mm fans almost perfectly fit in the dimensions of the radiator. 

On 10/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, manikyath said:

Would probably be even better to just use pressure reduction/flow reduction fittings and ensure equal pressure/flow out of all ports. 

On 10/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, Nystemy said:

Yes, a heat pump could have just used that warm water as its "cold" side.
However, 33 C water is already warm as far as in floor heating goes.

To be fair, Linus could likely just take an outdoor air to water heat pump and place on the wall in the server room and call it a day as far as warm tap water is concerned.

I feel like the purpose of this project was to eliminate waste heat as much as possible. Using a heat pump still produces waste heat, it just moves it somewhere else. If you are trying to maintain as close to 0 waste as possible, the pool setup is pretty ingenious. 

All that said.. I think one of my biggest fears watching all the videos on this is the whole "friction fitting" the wood that holds the manifolds into the ceiling. Please tell me they used something like a toggle to atleast prevent those boards from fall out between the rafters 

17 hours ago, Numus said:

I feel like the purpose of this project was to eliminate waste heat as much as possible. Using a heat pump still produces waste heat, it just moves it somewhere else. If you are trying to maintain as close to 0 waste as possible, the pool setup is pretty ingenious. 

I feel that you missed my point. Especially as far as "waste heat" is concerned.

Linus commented that his in floor heating system (seemingly running on gas) heats up the room. Likely a similar story for the boiler for the hot tap water.

Here a heat pump for these applications would have made some sense. Since these can provide "waste COLD" to the server room.

My point were not about actively trying to cool the room with an AC, but rather use a heatpump for preexisting heating tasks that could utilize the waste heat already available in the room. Not that the servers would provide enough heat to warm the whole house during winter, but it likely covers all warm tap water needs.