Computer won't post, VGA light lit on MB after disconnecting SATA SSD

dywed88

I was doing a clean windows install and moving an SSD from my main computer to a secondary one.

I disconnected the SSD's SATA data cable before installing windows (just to make sure I didn't accidentally select it) and after I got Windows up and running, installed various programs, etc. Then I powered down the system and pulled out the SATA cord and disconnected the power cord from the SSD that had only been connected to the MB. Then I went to reboot the computer and it wouldn't post.

The GPU is getting power as the LEDs light and fans spin on both cards tested.

The VGA diagnostic LED on the motherboard is lit up and I took the following actions:

- Reseated the GPU and its power connectors

- Tried with a second GPU (an RX580)

- Tried the RX580 in another PCIE slot (the 3080 is too bulky to fit in any other slot)

- Redid the monitor connection and tested with an alternate monitor

CPU: AMD R5 2600

MB: B450 gaming carbon pro

PSU: MIS A850GF

GPU: EVGA FTW 3 12GB RTX3080

Second tested GPU: AMD RX580

I plan to try stripping the whole thing down tomorrow, but any suggestions as to what may be the issue or may help.

Did you check if all the power connectors are plugged in properly to the hard drive? I know pc's can POST even without a Harddrive. Another thing you can try is reset the CMOS.

And regarding the part where you plugged out the SSD so you wouldn't select it. If you use the Boot menu shortcut, not the BIOS to change the boot order. You can choose to boot through the usb drive to install windows, and it would switch back to the top of your boot order or Boot priority afterwards.

Try removing any and all other USB devices besides your mouse and keyboard and see if it helps. Also try reseating your RAM.

I have now disconnected and reconnected everything and pulled and replaced the CMOS battery.

It is booting from an NVME SSD, not an HDD (I was using a SATA SSD, I got an NVME SSD for this system and was moving the SATA to another).

I can't get to any sort of menu, there is no video output or aything