AMD Fluid Motion frame generation, has anyone tried it out yet? Debating an upgrade to a 4070 or 7800 XT

atxcyclist

I am looking to move up from my 3060 Ti to something newer and with better tech, and since both nvidia and AMD now have frame generation, the two cards I've been looking at are the 4070, and the 7800 XT. I was leaning heavily towards the 4070 previously, because of the frame generation tech and possibly better raytracing, but AMD looks like frame generation is driver-level, and supported in all DX11 and DX12 software. The 7800 XT is also $100 US less-expensive, and has a few more gigabytes of VRAM, with the only apparent(?) downside being slightly higher peak power consumption.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Hardware Unboxed did a few deep dives into the AMD Frame Gens if you want to take a look at them. 

The TL;DR is mostly that FSR3 was a bit rushed and has some pretty major oversights that shouldn't be too difficult to fix (VSync and VRR are broken), and the driver based frame gen, while cool, isn't particularly useful aas it has a tendency to shut off when motion gets too aggressive (when it's usually the most necessary). 

I've personally tried FSR3 in general (should be better than the driver based frame gen since it gets movement data), and I'd rather leave it off. I'd still want to go for the 7800 XT, I don't really see the frame gen tech in general that appealing since a lot of what I didn't like about it with FSR3 is also there in DLSS3 and would rather the other benefits of the 7800 XT, but if you really want frame gen then you should be going for the 4070. 

Here's another video that shows A/B testing between FSR and DLSS frame generation:

Personally, I'm not really convinced as to the usefulness of frame generation. You need to reach a high-enough base frame rate before it works properly. And it only increases visual fluidity, not actual engine performance. This comes at a latency cost, which you then have to mitigate with Reflex/Anti-Lag. The thing is, you can use Reflex/Anti-Lag to reduce latency even further without having frame generation enabled, at the original frame rate, which was already very playable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply