Looking for a reliable modem/router combo.

AutonomousRedux

Afternoon, all. I'm currently seeking a modem/router combo that won't start flaking on me in three years. I currently have a Netgear c7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router that, for some reason, seems to only be able to hit 100ish mbps. According to my ISP (spectrum), I'm supposed to be getting 500mbps. I've run speed test right next to the router with my S21 and hardwired a laptop to the device, but it won't break 120mbps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

What makes you think that the router is the issue? Which speedtest did you use?

Your ISP (Spectrum) is throttling your connection to compensate for bandwidth usage across their entire coverage area. I pay for gigabit but during the day I'll maybe get 400mbps on average. If I ever do get my full speed it's because it's 3am and no one in my area is even awake. Also routers run 24/7 and almost guarantied to slow down after a year or two. The most effective way would be to build your own router out of an old PC. Modems on the other hand are even more important when it comes to your connection speeds and again also run 24/7. Both units have a processor in them and get decently warm which eventually will degrade them.

Unfortunately your best option, not that I'm recommending it, would actually be to get the modem/router combo from spectrum. Then if it ever slows down you can just return it and they'll give you a new one. which could be once a year or every couple of months.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

33 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

What makes you think that the router is the issue? Which speedtest did you use?

Ookla's, Spectrum's, and the browser one you can google. Furthermore, when I was testing at about 2am, I was still getting the same speeds.

31 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Your ISP (Spectrum) is throttling your connection to compensate for bandwidth usage across their entire coverage area. I pay for gigabit but during the day I'll maybe get 400mbps on average. If I ever do get my full speed it's because it's 3am and no one in my area is even awake. Also routers run 24/7 and almost guarantied to slow down after a year or two. The most effective way would be to build your own router out of an old PC. Modems on the other hand are even more important when it comes to your connection speeds and again also run 24/7. Both units have a processor in them and get decently warm which eventually will degrade them.

Unfortunately your best option, not that I'm recommending it, would actually be to get the modem/router combo from spectrum. Then if it ever slows down you can just return it and they'll give you a new one. which could be once a year or every couple of months.

I tested during the day and during the graveyard hours. Same results. So I'm pretty certain that it's the unit.

Well, that's unfortunate. I just returned mine yesterday saying "I don't need it as I already have a capable device at home."

I have been toying with the idea of making my own router. Is there a way to make a modem that won't so heavily degrade? Or am I stuck buying production?

18 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I tested during the day and during the graveyard hours. Same results. So I'm pretty certain that it's the unit.

Well, that's unfortunate. I just returned mine yesterday saying "I don't need it as I already have a capable device at home."

I have been toying with the idea of making my own router. Is there a way to make a modem that won't so heavily degrade? Or am I stuck buying production?

I'm not aware of being able to build your own modem so I have no idea on that front. Side note it will always be better to have the units separate. So if you do go back to spectrum just get their modem and use your own router. That's how I run it.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

1 hour ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I currently have a Netgear c7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router that, for some reason, seems to only be able to hit 100ish mbps. According to my ISP (spectrum), I'm supposed to be getting 500mbps. I've run speed test right next to the router with my S21 and hardwired a laptop to the device, but it won't break 120mbps.

Checked the hardware connections, made sure QoS is disabled (if that router supports it then it should be off by default IIRC, but worth checking just to make sure it isn't doing anything weird), called Spectrum and asked them to take a look at it? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

I'm not aware of being able to build your own modem so I have no idea on that front. Side note it will always be better to have the units separate. So if you do go back to spectrum just get their modem and use your own router. That's how I run it.

Aight. Might give that a shot if all else fails. Grazzi.

55 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

You can't make your own cable modem. 

Before I built my own router, I found my speeds always slowed down during extended downloads, or with some routers I needed to reboot every so often. I started adding heatsinks, or extra heatsinks, and fans to both my router and modems, and my problems went away. I did this for a long time and no more issues. 

I found some airflow through the device helped quite a bit, even if you couldn't necessarily get a fan in the most ideal location. 

Here are some images of some of my past devices to give you an idea:

Modem:

cablemodem8.jpg

Routers:

mr96003.jpg

router4.jpg

2 hours ago, AutonomousRedux said:

You cant make a modem. But as shown above you can add cooling to one. If you dont want to mod like above, you can look at a laptop cooler, I used one of those on a router I flashed with DDWRT that liked to overheat. I have the Netgear CM1000v2 if you are looking for suggestions. Its limited to up to 940 Mbps due to only having Gigabit Ethernet.

3 hours ago, AutonomousRedux said:

I'm supposed to be getting 500mbps. I've run speed test right next to the router with my S21 and hardwired a laptop to the device, but it won't break 120mbps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

screenshot.thumb.png.e580c0aa622a464e20302b141f9d61c1.png

According to the modem/router documentation that model is only good up to 400 Mbps with Spectrum. So I doubt you will ever achieve 500 Mbps. So if you do buy a new modem go for a Docsis 3.1 model. One issue you could have is maybe the signal coming in isnt that great. I dont know if Spectrum lets you have access to that information however. I know Comcast does. If some of your downstream channels are running out of spec it would mean less downstream channels available to use. Further more as mentioned it could be a congestion issue. You are running at the max of what that device is rated for on the Spectrum network, meaning if any of your downstream or upstream channels are congested you will get slower speeds. Having more channels on a slower tier of service is better because it can help stop with the issues of congestion as you can have your traffic spread across more channels.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Aight. A spectrum tech came out. Redid the drop so we know the cable is good. He says the modem part works fine, but my wifi module is shot. 

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Checked the hardware connections, made sure QoS is disabled (if that router supports it then it should be off by default IIRC, but worth checking just to make sure it isn't doing anything weird), called Spectrum and asked them to take a look at it? 

It's the wifi module. Tech came out, redid the drop. Connected to the modem part just fine.