Need Help - Screen blacking out while playing

Zuref

For the past week my computer has been black screening constantly while i have been playing games. Once it black screened again after I restarted the computer. I did a bit of research and tried using the mini dump file and using winDgb. I dont really know how to do it but here is the main parts of the analysis i think:

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffa70d009b2460, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff801a2ed4570, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc000009a, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000004, Optional internal context dependent data.

BUGCHECK_CODE:  116

BUGCHECK_P1: ffffa70d009b2460

BUGCHECK_P2: fffff801a2ed4570

BUGCHECK_P3: ffffffffc000009a

BUGCHECK_P4: 4

FILE_IN_CAB:  102323-8968-01.dmp

DUMP_FILE_ATTRIBUTES: 0x1808
  Kernel Generated Triage Dump

VIDEO_TDR_CONTEXT: dt dxgkrnl!_TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT ffffa70d009b2460
Symbol dxgkrnl!_TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT not found.

SYMBOL_NAME:  nvlddmkm+10f4570

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME:  nvlddmkm.sys

STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {c89bfe8c-ed39-f658-ef27-f2898997fdbd}

Followup:     MachineOwner

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a gtx 1060 and an i7-8700k and just updated my drivers yesterday.

Not an expert, but it seems to be something wrong with your GPU driver. I would DDU and re-install

Lots of detailed videos on how to DDU on youtube if you need it

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Did you observe anything off with the GPU temps before it blacked out?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I havent been able to see my GPU temps before it blacks out becuase MSI Afterburner cannot detect my GPU. I just assumed temps was not a problem.

5 hours ago, Zuref said:

I havent been able to see my GPU temps before it blacks out becuase MSI Afterburner cannot detect my GPU. I just assumed temps was not a problem.

That's bad. Follow the suggestion to use DDU and uninstall all old drivers. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

9 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

That's bad. Follow the suggestion to use DDU and uninstall all old drivers.

I just followed a DDU install and i am still crashing. I reinstalled MSI Afterburner and now its working. I will try and monitor the temps when it crashes.

I used MSI Afterburner and it crashed again. I wasnt able to see the temp because i was tabbed out. I used it again after restarting as was able to play for half an hour. The max recorded temp is 57. I have a custom fan speed setting, should I make it more aggressive?

20 minutes ago, Zuref said:

I used MSI Afterburner and it crashed again. I wasnt able to see the temp because i was tabbed out. I used it again after restarting as was able to play for half an hour. The max recorded temp is 57. I have a custom fan speed setting, should I make it more aggressive?

That's not enough to cause a crash. Something else is happening. 

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

That's not enough to cause a crash. Something else is happening. 

What should I do then? Should I go back to Windows 10? Reinstall Windows? Try replugging all my cables? Or is the GPU dead?

3 hours ago, Zuref said:

What should I do then? Should I go back to Windows 10? Reinstall Windows? Try replugging all my cables? Or is the GPU dead?

Do what @ItTakes2ToMango said. Download the most current driver for your GC. Run DDU in safe mode, make sure you run it for both manufacturers (AMD and Nvidia) if you've had both previously. After that, you can install the drivers. 

7 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Do what @ItTakes2ToMango said. Download the most current driver for your GC. Run DDU in safe mode, make sure you run it for both manufacturers (AMD and Nvidia) if you've had both previously. After that, you can install the drivers. 

I already did that. I followed JayzTwoCent's video on it. It didnt work. Or maybe I didnt follow all the steps properly. I can try using the DDU again and see if that works.

Try your GC in a different mobo. 

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Try your GC in a different mobo. 

Is there any other way? I dont have another motherboard.

11 minutes ago, Zuref said:

Is there any other way? I dont have another motherboard.

Do you know someone who you could plug it into theirs? Otherwise, go to a shop or buy a device that checks GCs.

There are also HDMI cables that use an inferior standard that can result in visual glitches, so you could buy a high-quality cable and see if that helps. 

20 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Do you know someone who you could plug it into theirs? Otherwise, go to a shop or buy a device that checks GCs.

I wont be able to really go out for the next few weeks. I will try and test the mobo then. What can I do while until then?

3 hours ago, Zuref said:

I wont be able to really go out for the next few weeks. I will try and test the mobo then. What can I do while until then?

Buy a mobo testing device? Contact the vendor? Contact the manufacturer?

16 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Buy a mobo testing device? Contact the vendor? Contact the manufacturer?

Is it a motherboard issue? I thought it was a graphics card issue?

7 hours ago, Zuref said:

Is it a motherboard issue? I thought it was a graphics card issue?

Eh, sorry, I got this mixed up with a similar thread. Yes, a GC tester. Don't forget to verify that the video cable you have is good enough. I once had one that was inferior and caused visual issues.