RTX 3070ti Overheating

kittyducky06
Go to solution Solved by johnt,
12 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

Can you explain the whole pressure thing? Ive never had enough wattage and a small enough case for it to matter.

LTT has a couple great videos on it, and I know GN also has some actual smoke testing to show the benefits/disadvantages of each, but in short:

If your intake fans bring in more air than your exhaust fans can remove, then you get a positive air pressure in your system. Air is forced to leave the case from small vents, holes, perforations.

Negative pressure means you have more exhaust than intake. I've never had good luck with negative pressure.

Balanced pressure is when intake = exhaust, which is practically impossible. But you can get close enough.

In the situation of your computer, there is one intake and no exhaust fans. So effectively you are expecting one single fan to do all the air flow in your case. Your CPU and GPU (and PSU) generate heat but it is expecting that one single intake fan at the front to remove it from the case, and you are also expecting that fan to provide fresh air to your coolers. It isn't big enough to do both. And especially now that I see it's a Noctua fan... you are expecting it to operate quietly. Eventually that heat builds and your system runs hotter. That fan can't do it all alone.

Edit: I also think you are correct about the power (wattage) in a small case. I think ATX builds are more forgiving since air space is not at a premium. And frankly newer components just run so much hotter. I came from a 5820k and 1070. At that time they were hot, but there was no wrong way to configure your case. Compared to modern components like my 12700k and 3070ti, goodness it took me about three months of toying with fans and moving components to get my current thermal behavior.

Hi, i just bought a pallit RTX 3070ti, to go in my computer, it pretty easily goes up to like mid to high 80s on a heavy load, and is loud as all hell. Like crazy loud. Its in a Lian Ii tu 150 which is a small form factor case, its not crazy small but i think my gpu and choked and kinda breathing its own breath. i was thinking of maybe trying to come up with some ducting or something with blue tape to force it to get fresh air, any other suggestions? I had a blower card before and it was all good, although it also wasent such a high wattage card.

Yeah, you pretty much have to get it to breathe. I have a 3070Ti too, and under the right conditions it can do 300w..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

7 hours ago, johnt said:

You need to place some slim fans beneath it.

image.png.8dd3f30b853048491b183610e0bef4ae.png

hey, im not saying that's not gonna work,  but im going to say thats very unlikely to work tho...

i have a similar setup, albeit my case (inwin 301) being quite a bit more spacious and i tried that... the bottom of my case is even completely open (basically) and putting 2 fans under the GPU *did* lower temps -- by about 1 C... so, i would say this is entirely useless under most circumstances  -- i eventually fixed my temp issues with better fan curves (gpu fans still turn off though when idle tho...)

So again,  im not gonna say this won't help, just that i think its unlikely from own experience-- does the case even have openings in the bottom? 

Seeing as it has side vents,  it might be better to use stronger fans in the front -- does OP even have front fans?  Or an exhaust?  

All things we seemingly don't know... all i understand is that this thing is literally a hotbox with seemingly no proper ventilation lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

hey, im not saying that's not gonna work,  but im going to say thats very unlikely to work tho...

i have a similar setup, albeit my case (inwin 301) being quite a bit more spacious and i tried that... the bottom of my case is even completely open (basically) and putting 2 fans under the GPU *did* lower temps -- by about 1 C... so, i would say this is entirely useless under most circumstances  -- i eventually fixed my temp issues with better fan curves (gpu fans still turn off though when idle tho...)

So again,  im not gonna say this won't help, just that i think its unlikely from own experience-- does the case even have openings in the bottom? 

Seeing as it has side vents,  it might be better to use stronger fans in the front -- does OP even have front fans?  Or an exhaust?  

All things we seemingly don't know... all i understand is that this thing is literally a hotbox with seemingly no proper ventilation lol.

Your experience is interesting and very different than mine. I added two Noctua slim fans under my 3070ti and it helped my temps by 10-12 degrees. There is a tiny 2 to 4mm of clearance between the fans and GPU in my NR200. My 3070ti (ASUS tuf model) doesn't break 68 degrees under testing. With the Op measuring high 80s, I think it's worth a try. I am not sure if he can add fans to the side. The panels barely have room for the power cables.

I don't know what the Op's configuration looks like, but I found a nearly balanced air pressure to yield better temperature results in my system. I used to heavily favor positive pressures in my previous ATX, but it was just too hot in mini ITX even with all the ventilated panels.

The other item that was critical for reducing temperatures was to exhaust the PSU ASAP. My SF750 produces so much heat while the GPU is running. One of my top fans fans basically exhausts all heat from my PSU.

15 minutes ago, johnt said:

Your experience is interesting and very different than mine. I added two Noctua slim fans under my 3070ti and it helped my temps by 10-12 degrees. There is a tiny 2 to 4mm of clearance between the fans and GPU in my NR200. My 3070ti (ASUS tuf model) doesn't break 68 degrees under testing. With the Op measuring high 80s, I think it's worth a try. I am not sure if he can add fans to the side. The panels barely have room for the power cables.

Just 1 question -- do your fans blow air onto the gpu, or away from it?

With the Op measuring high 80s, I think it's worth a try.

yes, i agree, it definitely is! 

i was just saying in "my case" this unexpectedly didn't do much at all  -- i experimented a lot, but fans under the gpu, as said, just didn't seem to do much at all...

The other item that was critical for reducing temperatures was to exhaust the PSU ASAP. My SF750 produces so much heat while the GPU is running. One of my top fans fans basically exhausts all heat from my PSU.

yes... this was ultimately one of the things i did to have better airflow and acceptable temps (currently the system idles at or slightly below 40c)

the (main) problem was my PSU (rmi 650) had its fans turned off completely in "idle" which eventually *always* let to my pc, but mostly the GPU -for some reason- to heat up, to the point of its fans starting to turn on (at around 50c)..

then i set my PSU fan to its lowest possible speed , around 780rpm, and *that* eventually was enough to stop my pc from heating up continuously... as said, there isnt an issue now, 40 idle, 70 max under normal load situations... (I'd say probably 80 at full load)

So basically the psu acts indeed as a second exhaust, and yes, in my experience no matter what, you want any hot air *out* as fast as possible... people often seem to think some "chill effect" is what does the cooling mostly,  but generally that's not how it works, how fast you can transfer any heat *out* of the case is really what matters,  hence intakes are important as they help to accomplish this, too. (ie push air ultimately out as fast as possible) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, kittyducky06 said:

Hi, i just bought a pallit RTX 3070ti, to go in my computer, it pretty easily goes up to like mid to high 80s on a heavy load, and is loud as all hell. Like crazy loud. Its in a Lian Ii tu 150 which is a small form factor case, its not crazy small but i think my gpu and choked and kinda breathing its own breath. i was thinking of maybe trying to come up with some ducting or something with blue tape to force it to get fresh air, any other suggestions? I had a blower card before and it was all good, although it also wasent such a high wattage card.

photos of your setup would help...  

we already established fans under the gpu might help, even tho i personally have my doubts,  but rest of the setup would be important too... fans, intake and exhaust?  air cooler, aio?  an aio would be incredible bad i suppose as it means there probably wouldn't be much airflow at all, especially not for some critical components, etc. hence photo(s)?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You might try blowing fans onto the backend of the GC.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

36 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

photos of your setup would help...  

we already established fans under the gpu might help, even tho i personally have my doubts,  but rest of the setup would be important too... fans, intake and exhaust?  air cooler, aio?  an aio would be incredible bad i suppose as it means there probably wouldn't be much airflow at all, especially not for some critical components, etc. hence photo(s)?

1 hour ago, johnt said:

I don't know what the Op's configuration looks like, but I found a nearly balanced air pressure to yield better temperature results in my system. I used to heavily favor positive pressures in my previous ATX, but it was just too hot in mini ITX even with all the ventilated panels.

im getting a propper airflow oriented noctua for the front intake, and ill look into the slims for thebottom but there realy isnt much room

IMG_5248.png

6 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

im getting a propper airflow oriented noctua for the front intake, and ill look into the slims for thebottom but there realy isnt much room

IMG_5248.png

That's plenty of space for slims, although I hope there's a dust filter. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, kittyducky06 said:

IMG_5248.png

The front intake is a good idea, but it's not enough. I think that's a 3.5 HDD above your CPU cooler? So that intake fan alone is pushing your case into positive air pressure and that's not ideal.

I suggest another cooler in the back of the case for exhaust at minimum. In addition, I think there is plenty of room below your GPU for two slim fans as intake (blow air to your GPU).

1 minute ago, johnt said:

The front intake is a good idea, but it's not enough. I think that's a 3.5 HDD above your CPU cooler? So that intake fan alone is pushing your case into positive air pressure and that's not ideal.

I suggest another cooler in the back of the case for exhaust at minimum. In addition, I think there is plenty of room below your GPU for two slim fans as intake (blow air to your GPU).

Can you explain the whole pressure thing? Ive never had enough wattage and a small enough case for it to matter.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just 1 question -- do your fans blow air onto the gpu, or away from it?

yes, i agree, it definitely is! 

i was just saying in "my case" this unexpectedly didn't do much at all  -- i experimented a lot, but fans under the gpu, as said, just didn't seem to do much at all...

yes... this was ultimately one of the things i did to have better airflow and acceptable temps (currently the system idles at or slightly below 40c)

the (main) problem was my PSU (rmi 650) had its fans turned off completely in "idle" which eventually *always* let to my pc, but mostly the GPU -for some reason- to heat up, to the point of its fans starting to turn on (at around 50c)..

then i set my PSU fan to its lowest possible speed , around 780rpm, and *that* eventually was enough to stop my pc from heating up continuously... as said, there isnt an issue now, 40 idle, 70 max under normal load situations... (I'd say probably 80 at full load)

So basically the psu acts indeed as a second exhaust, and yes, in my experience no matter what, you want any hot air *out* as fast as possible... people often seem to think some "chill effect" is what does the cooling mostly,  but generally that's not how it works, how fast you can transfer any heat *out* of the case is really what matters,  hence intakes are important as they help to accomplish this, too. (ie push air ultimately out as fast as possible) 

My bottom fans intake air to the GPU. My only problem is they are controlled by the motherboard based on CPU temps. I've tried adding a fan hub for better control, but I didn't like all the cables. Right now my rig is basically wire free within the main compartment (thank you NVME). SATA cables were going to wreck my cable management! I COULDNT DO IT 🙂

Edit: I should clarify the NR200 does not have any intake, whatsoever, on the front of the case. It's a solid panel and no gaps around the sides. The front "compartment" is basically for wires. So my goal was to use the natural "hot air rises" method for air flow in my case. That's why I put the slim fans below the GPU as intake and I have two exhaust fans at the top. Lower GPU temps was a byproduct.

I don't have a good way to control the fan on my PSU. In fact the original fan started making noise after a year on my SF750 Platinum model. I had to do a Noctua swap on it. Surprisingly the NR200 is a beast at different configurations. I am able to isolate my PSU with fresh intake and top exhaust. This 150 LL case seems awful by comparison. I almost feel like the Op would benefit from a small slim fan between the PSU rear and case vents... that's a small vent on the side for all that PSU heat!

12 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

LTT has a couple great videos on it, and I know GN also has some actual smoke testing to show the benefits/disadvantages of each, but in short:

If your intake fans bring in more air than your exhaust fans can remove, then you get a positive air pressure in your system. Air is forced to leave the case from small vents, holes, perforations.

Negative pressure means you have more exhaust than intake. I've never had good luck with negative pressure.

Balanced pressure is when intake = exhaust, which is practically impossible. But you can get close enough.

In the situation of your computer, there is one intake and no exhaust fans. So effectively you are expecting one single fan to do all the air flow in your case. Your CPU and GPU (and PSU) generate heat but it is expecting that one single intake fan at the front to remove it from the case, and you are also expecting that fan to provide fresh air to your coolers. It isn't big enough to do both. And especially now that I see it's a Noctua fan... you are expecting it to operate quietly. Eventually that heat builds and your system runs hotter. That fan can't do it all alone.

Edit: I also think you are correct about the power (wattage) in a small case. I think ATX builds are more forgiving since air space is not at a premium. And frankly newer components just run so much hotter. I came from a 5820k and 1070. At that time they were hot, but there was no wrong way to configure your case. Compared to modern components like my 12700k and 3070ti, goodness it took me about three months of toying with fans and moving components to get my current thermal behavior.

20 minutes ago, johnt said:

I almost feel like the Op would benefit from a small slim fan between the PSU rear and case vents... that's a small vent on the side for all that PSU heat!

what do you mean by that, idk if my photo was misleading or i dont understand. The PSU intakes and exuasts into/from the cassae

14 minutes ago, johnt said:

yea i am really missing my blower 1070, cuz with that and my current setup the noctua fan wasent even turned on. The only noise i could hear was the aweful VRM fan

7 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

what do you mean by that, idk if my photo was misleading or i dont understand. The PSU intakes and exuasts into/from the cassae

This is a different suggestion, but I wonder if the vents on the side of your case are designed properly to vent out the hot air from your PSU. My guess is there is a gap between the PSU and these vents, so I wonder if some of the hot exhaust from your PSU is leaking into your case instead of flowing out. I doubt it's possible, but I wonder if you could fit a small fan in between this vent and the PSU for better exhaust. It might introduce some rattle noise though... always some drawback!

image.png.a71e62d7a5c78c477ae8603bd89a31be.png

7 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

yea i am really missing my blower 1070, cuz with that and my current setup the noctua fan wasent even turned on. The only noise i could hear was the aweful VRM fan

Yup! Blower style GPU coolers were actually good for air flow.

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

This is a different suggestion, but I wonder if the vents on the side of your case are designed properly to vent out the hot air from your PSU. My guess is there is a gap between the PSU and these vents, so I wonder if some of the hot exhaust from your PSU is leaking into your case instead of flowing out. I doubt it's possible, but I wonder if you could fit a small fan in between this vent and the PSU for better exhaust. It might introduce some rattle noise though... always some drawback!

i dont think so, but the "zones" are fairly seperate

IMG_5249.jpg

Just now, kittyducky06 said:

IMG_5249.jpg

also no coment on the jank in this pc

18 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

I think you're right. It's pretty snug up in there... 

No comment on the cable management 🙂

3 hours ago, johnt said:

So my goal was to use the natural "hot air rises" method for air flow in my case. That's why I put the slim fans below the GPU as intake and I have two exhaust fans at the top. Lower GPU temps was a byproduct.

i think that is why fans in the bottom are working as u direct air from lower parts up! 

that doesn't really work in mine because i have 2 big Noctuas in front,  a dual cooler in the middle and a Noctua as exhaust in tge back, so air naturally goes from front to back and the lower fans just did blow onto the gpu but with not much to get that air actually moving....yet the psa as "top exhaust" does wonders,  probably because its right above the cpu, and naturally,  hot air goes up! 🙂

inwin cases are strange... mine got really bad reviews because how its designed (literally with bottom intake or outtake fans and kind of a "reverse configuration") just doesn't work well....hence i really had to experiment a lot, and i absolutely LOVE the case, it looks great, its sturdy as hell, the side panel(s) have the easiest to use retaining mechanisms...  it fits my gpu perfectly (both white) etc ❤

20230717_064038.thumb.jpg.659c39dee6cf98233af326bd1b0220ab.jpg

but its not at all easy to built (doesn't even have proper space for cables lol) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i think that is why fans in the bottom are working as u direct air from lower parts up! 

that doesn't really work in mine because i have 2 big Noctuas in front,  a dual cooler in the middle and a Noctua as exhaust in tge back, so air naturally goes from front to back and the lower fans just did blow onto the gpu but with not much to get that air actually moving....yet the psa as "top exhaust" does wonders,  probably because its right above the cpu, and naturally,  hot air goes up! 🙂

inwin cases are strange... mine got really bad reviews because how its designed (literally with bottom intake or outtake fans and kind of a "reverse configuration") just doesn't work well....hence i really had to experiment a lot, and i absolutely LOVE the case, it looks great, its sturdy as hell, the side panel(s) have the easiest to use retaining mechanisms...  it fits my gpu perfectly (both white) etc ❤

20230717_064038.thumb.jpg.659c39dee6cf98233af326bd1b0220ab.jpg

but its not at all easy to built (doesn't even have proper space for cables lol) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That case is gorgeous! I love the accent lighting around the USB ports! I'm a little confused how you get air to the front fans though? I don't see vents