First time builder - Might need some help

Yinner

I am going to build my own gaming/workstation computer in a month and I am planning the components, it is on a budget. So it will be at a maximum of 1100$ excluding OS.

CPU. Intel Core i5 4570
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 760 TF Gaming

SSD/HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and Kingston 120GB SSD

PSU: Corsair CX 500M 500W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2X4GB) DDR3/1600MHz

CASE: Fractal Design - Define R4 Non-windowed

MB: MSI Z87-G43, 1150 LGA Socket

OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus DVD Writer DRW-24F1ST

ADDITIONAL: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPUFAN

If any of you out there have any suggestions for other components, please resopond. :D

I'd suggest planning later. ~2-3 days at most before you buy. Parts and prices change frequently so any parts list you come up with now will likely be obsolete by the time you're ready to buy.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd suggest planning later. ~2-3 days at most before you buy. Parts and prices change frequently so any parts list you come up with now will likely be obsolete by the time you're ready to buy.

Oh, ok thanks for the feedback. is there any of them components that maybe should be switched out?

If you don't want oc find a non "Z" motherboard

EDIT:

and if you want find a "K" cpu

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HHD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB GPU Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: Corsair RM 550W OS: Windows 8.1 Wireless network: Asus pce-n53 (Broken)

There aren't any that SHOULDN'T be switched out, that build looks fine as it is.

However if the Vengeance RAM isn't low profile then you may run into problems with the 212 EVO's clearance.

If you really don't need OC and you really want to spend more on the GPU, switch the board out for a H87 by all means; that Z87 board is considerably cheap and low-end anyways.

@WoodenMarker can you move this to pc planning section?

Why not wait for intel's new cpus that run on Z97 or H97?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Why not wait for intel's new cpus that run on Z97 or H97?

I've looked abit on the pricing of the new Haswell Refresh CPU's and the Z97 boards, but they are abit too pricey for me. .

There aren't any that SHOULDN'T be switched out, that build looks fine as it is.

However if the Vengeance RAM isn't low profile then you may run into problems with the 212 EVO's clearance.

If you really don't need OC and you really want to spend more on the GPU, switch the board out for a H87 by all means; that Z87 board is considerably cheap and low-end anyways.

@WoodenMarker can you move this to pc planning section?

I am sorry, i forgot to say that the memory is actaully CL9, so it is low vengeance Heatspreader

What is your country?

If it's US,you can put an i7 in there since it's also a workstation.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

I've looked abit on the pricing of the new Haswell Refresh CPU's and the Z97 boards, but they are abit too pricey for me. .

If you arent going to overclock you dont need a K series CPU or a Z series MoBo, get a non-k and an H series. It will save you a good chunk of money.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

What is your country?

If it's US,you can put an i7 in there since it's also a workstation.

I am from norway :D So, its abit more expensive here than in the US.

I am from norway :D So, its abit more expensive here than in the US.

Ikr..

Same here.I wish i lived in the US for just one day.

EDIT* Just look for 1.1k what you can do. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQAk

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

If you arent going to overclock you dont need a K series CPU or a Z series MoBo, get a non-k and an H series. It will save you a good chunk of money.

You're right, its my first build so i dont think i will be focusing at OC, what about a B85 chipset?

@Yinner Well, obviously the prices will be different, but since it's a workstation...and not sure which Kingston SSD you wanted, so I put the 3K.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQZg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQZg/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.84 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.44 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.98 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1073.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 16:34 EDT-0400)

B85 is the lowest-end chipset, not sure you'd want that kind of quality (or lack thereof) in a workstation.

Ikr..

Same here.I wish i lived in the US for just one day.

EDIT* Just look for 1.1k what you can do. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQAk

You must remember Duty, ¨Shipping and taxes if I am going to buy from other countries, but yes, you're right. The prices here in norway are about 10% additional.

You must remember Duty, ¨Shipping and taxes if I am going to buy from other countries, but yes, you're right. The prices here in norway are about 10% additional.

10%? You are not so bad then. In Greece most products are literally double the price.

The link wasn't suggesting to buy from US. Just to see.  :D

@Yinner Well, obviously the prices will be different, but since it's a workstation...and not sure which Kingston SSD you wanted, so I put the 3K.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQZg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LQZg/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.84 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.44 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.98 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1073.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 16:34 EDT-0400)

B85 is the lowest-end chipset, not sure you'd want that kind of quality (or lack thereof) in a workstation.

I looked the prices up in the norwegian electronics store and figured out the price to be quite high - 9000 KR (1500$) I might go abit lower on the Processor which is basically the component pulling the price up alot, and since I can literally upgrade the ram whenever i want to, i will probably start with 8GB (2x4GB).

Otherwise, thanks for your help.

You're right, its my first build so i dont think i will be focusing at OC, what about a B85 chipset?

B series is the low end chipset, I wouldn't recommend it, go for the H series and either a non-K processor or a cheap Xeon (Xeon processors don't have on-board graphics so they are often cheaper than the comparable i5/i7 processors).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I looked the prices up in the norwegian electronics store and figured out the price to be quite high - 9000 KR (1500$) I might go abit lower on the Processor which is basically the component pulling the price up alot, and since I can literally upgrade the ram whenever i want to, i will probably start with 8GB (2x4GB).

Otherwise, thanks for your help.

Well, your original build was going to be around the same price, really, so...

The original use was primarily as a workstation, so I assumed you wanted a 4C/8T CPU and 16GB of RAM. Obviously with a 4/4 CPU and 8GB it won't be so ideal, but your choice. Here the Xeon is great for the price; 4C/8T at 3.3-3.7GHz for $250 is a stellar deal.

No problem, you can ask us for build advice anytime.

B series is the low end chipset, I wouldn't recommend it, go for the H series and either a non-K processor or a cheap Xeon (Xeon processors don't have on-board graphics so they are often cheaper than the comparable i5/i7 processors).

The only E3V3s that are decent for the price would be the 1230V3 and the 1240V3 for $250 and $280 respectively I think.

The E3-1270 and above are stupidly expensive for a fully-locked CPU and a few hundred mhz bump. The E3-1220V3 should have been priced lower because it's pretty much at the price of the 4590 while being outmatched by the 4590. I guess its 8MB of L3 couldn't help its 3.1GHz base clock.