14900K - Define 7 C vs Meshify 2 C vs Torrent C

Melodist

Would you either go for the Define 7 Compact, Meshify 2 Compact or Torrent Compact to run an Intel 14900K?

All fans will be replaced with Silent Wings 4 Pro.

Also an NH-U12A will do the cooling.

Thanks in advance 馃檹

With the undervolting and power limiting you'd need to do to get a 14900k happy on a U12A why not just go with a 13500k, 13600k or a 14600k?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You need a better cooler for those i9s to run their best, get an nh-d15 at least or a 360mm aio.

PC Specifications:聽Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled聽| MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio聽|Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame聽| 2x16G.Skill Trident Z5聽7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die)聽| Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX聽|Windows 10 Home 64-Bit聽|聽EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2聽|聽Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust)聽| SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays:聽MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED聽| LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio:聽STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones聽| STAX SRM-400S Amp聽| Schiit Bifrost 2/64(NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio:聽Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable聽|聽FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch聽| Logitech G502 Hero

14 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

With the undervolting and power limiting you'd need to do to get a 14900k happy on a U12A why not just go with a 13500k, 13600k or a 14600k?

Maybe he needs the i9? He didnt say what hes using it for.

PC Specifications:聽Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled聽| MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio聽|Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame聽| 2x16G.Skill Trident Z5聽7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die)聽| Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX聽|Windows 10 Home 64-Bit聽|聽EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2聽|聽Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust)聽| SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays:聽MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED聽| LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio:聽STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones聽| STAX SRM-400S Amp聽| Schiit Bifrost 2/64(NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio:聽Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable聽|聽FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch聽| Logitech G502 Hero

3 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Apparently the D15 under heavy load is worse than the 12A:

https://youtu.be/7o74u1u642I?feature=shared

Interesting, either way both of them are probably not ideal unless you undervolt the cpu.

A 360mm aio is a better choice than either of them and the video you sent also says that as well.

1 hour ago, Melodist said:

Apparently the D15 under heavy load is worse than the 12A:

https://youtu.be/7o74u1u642I?feature=shared

That was done on a test bench, not in a case, and defies the results of numerous better testers. The U12A is a fine cooler but not THAT fine. Even Noctua ranks it just below the D15. The other coolers listed above the D15 in that video may not perform as well as indicated with that hot CPU, especially the Peerless Assassin. Check other reviews.聽

Edited by RevGAM
Added more info

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

26 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

That was done on a test bench, not in a case, and defies the results of numerous better testers. The U12A is a fine cooler but not THAT fine. Even Noctua ranks it just below the D15. The other coolers listed above the D15 in that video may not perform as well as indicated with that hot CPU, especially the Peerless Assassin. Check other reviews.聽

Hm so you're saying he's doing something wrong?

Anyhow, what about my case question?

1 hour ago, Melodist said:

Hm so you're saying he's doing something wrong?

Anyhow, what about my case question?

I'm just going to make some observations regarding the use of test benches to provide reviews and evaluations to end users. These are based on inferences, logic and my incomplete understanding of science. I do not pretend to be an expert and I have not yet done any cooler testing as I lack tools and coolers require a bigger outlay of cash. Since my ethics prevent me from striking deals with sponsors, manufacturers and vendors without rules that some of them would (strongly) disagree with, I am the only source of funding, so I can't really afford to go into cooler testing at this time. I would never accept samples directly from manufacturers for testing purposes because some companies send "golden samples" that will distort test results, meaning that the results may not be what most people will experience, and that could cause people to question my test results - because the company manipulated the results. That said...

1. A test bench that is horizontal has heat flowing upward (away from the mobo and components). Many computer users choose to buy vertical cases, so the results are not representative for them.
  2. The same is true for vertical test benches.
  3. A diagonal one produces results that are different from almost all cases.
  4. Heat collects in turbulent and "dead" areas of a case, such as between the PSU shroud and GC, whereas this is not possible with a test bench.
  5. Cases, except those partial cases with open sides/top, have very different airflow from test benches, especially because of case fans.
  6. A test bench without fans blowing across it will achieve different results because it relies entirely/mostly on convection, the natural movement of heat upward.
  7. Even if there is an AIO mounted on the test bench, its position relative to the rest of the parts is sometimes diagonal, which will alter results.
  8. The argument of comparable is irrelevant because, when comparing different cases, it is impossible to achieve truly comparable results other than in a very general sense, even if the components are the same. If comparing coolers, however, the results are going to be "consistent" with each other, but not with testing in a bench.
  9. For these and other reasons, any test bench results are less useful to consumers, as evidenced by the rank of the D15 in that video.
  10. For that matter, lab quality testing, or even testing done in a PC where everything is locked down to eliminate confounding factors gives results that are themselves inconsistent with real-world experiences.
  11. And then there are the manufacturers that lie about their products, swap components to cheaper ones after lots of positive reviews and don't tell the public, and other shady tactics (like Nvidia deprecating GC features by turning off or decreasing them in a new driver release).

I have never used any of those cases, so I can only make statements based on what I can see. You'd do better watching reviews. Personally, I would not get the Define 7 - it looks like it will run hot. I think the Torrent is better than it but it looks like the Meshify might have the best cooling power.

If you really want to keep it cool, discard the idea of solid sides and get a full mesh case, or at least one with a side panel that you can attach a fan to in order to either pull cool air in or out. That is if your goal truly is to keep your CPU from thermal throttling. For example:
ASUS Prime AP201

darkFlash DLC29 Full Mesh, DLH21 Mini-ITX

SAMA IM01PRO Black Iron Mesh Panel Micro ATX Tower

There are others but my time is running out. I hope that helps!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀