Laptop recommendation

Hey guys, so here's the thing, I don't know much about laptops. So I'm here to Syphon the knowledge of the hive mind.

I'm looking for a laptop for basic office tasks. Especially a lot of writing! So this means a passable to decent keyboard is a must. Backlit preferably.

Battery life is massively important, I have two laptops already but both are high performance machines and thus have a shitty battery life. 

Screen is not all that important, 1080p and IPS would be nice but I don't need anything exotic. 

I use Google Workspace so I'm open to Linux, Chromebook, etc

To be clear, price is a massive factor for me, I have a gaming laptop so I would prefer ultrabook style laptops that are lighter while sacrificing sheet performance. Also I have a USB C external monitor and I would like support for that. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

To be clear, price is a massive factor for me,

If it wasn't for this I'd say a base model M1 Macbook Air, insanely good battery life, pretty decent keyboard (not the best I've used but far from the worst), and super thin and portable. Looking for a used one of these is still an option, as you can occasionally find a pretty good deal on one. 

Other thing that might be a good idea is to look for a used Thinkpad. They have a depreciation curve similar to a Lamborghini, where the moment they come out of the box they lost half their value, so you can get them for next to nothing. Their keyboards are top notch, they're very reliable and easy to find parts for so it'll last quite a while, and they're stupid cheap. You can get a T480 on occasion for as low as $200, and while their battery life isn't spectacular (still probably significantly better than your gaming laptops though), those still have hot-swappable batteries, so you can upgrade it to the larger battery and just keep a spare one charged for when you run low. 

Dells business laptops. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/latitude?sortBy=price-ascending&appliedRefinements=37865,37866

Especially the Latitudes, they're known for great keyboards, mediocre battery life(compared to the competition), and not amazingly accurate displays. These three truths have held for decades so you know you're getting a no frills work machine with a strong legacy.

Disclaimer: I'm Dell biased. Wait for the HP and Lenovo shills to make their recommendations before making your own decision. But at least try to stick to brands that have strong business product lines.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

5 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Wait for the HP and Lenovo shills

Lol, lattuides are awesome though.

What I am hearing spec wants like a T14 or maybe a E seires thinkpad

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang