Are Aftermarket HDD enclosures better?

ChristianM01

Hi, I have Seagate Back Up Plus Slim 2TB hard drive, I've enabled "better performnce" "enable write caching on this device", file transfer starts from 350-400MBps and drops to 120-130MBps or sometimes less in 3-4 seconds.

Do Ugreen or Orico or other HDD enclosures perform better than Seagate stock enclosure?

Thanks

Ugreen 6Gbps HDD SSD Case 2.5 SATA to USB C 3.1 Gen 2 External Hard Drive Box Aluminum Case HD For Sata Hard Disk HDD Enclosure - AliExpress

UGREEN HDD Case 2.5'' SATA to USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure for SSD Disk HDD Box USB C 3.1 Gen 2 Case HD External HDD Enclosure - AliExpress

120-130MB/s sounds like what you can expect out of a small HDD. It being faster at the start is likely just filling the cache, thus the drop to the actual speed of the drive afterwards. Get a fast SSD (slow SSDs will do the same thing, drop speed massively once they run out of cache) if you want higher sustained speeds. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

120-130MB/s sounds like what you can expect out of a small HDD. It being faster at the start is likely just filling the cache, thus the drop to the actual speed of the drive afterwards. Get a fast SSD (slow SSDs will do the same thing, drop speed massively once they run out of cache) if you want higher sustained speeds. 

Thanks for reply. I know this is the expected speed of HDD but I wonder if Ugreen or Orico have little bit better speed maybe because they have better controller.

I have an SSD but I have my data on Seagate HDD. SSDs are risky to store data, if SSDs dies then it's very painful to recover data and there're some other factors to avoid storing data on SSDs. I read all that on internet.

1 minute ago, ChristianM01 said:

Thanks for reply. I know this is the expected speed of HDD but I wonder if Ugreen or Orico have little bit better speed maybe because they have better controller.

How would a better controller make it faster, if this is already the expected speed for this sort of drive? 

2 minutes ago, ChristianM01 said:

I have an SSD but I have my data on Seagate HDD. SSDs are risky to store data, if SSDs dies then it's very painful to recover data and there're some other factors to avoid storing data on SSDs. I read all that on internet.

Ideally you keep multiple copies, so the failure of one doesn't mean your data is gone. But realistically I don't do that either with my files, so I get wanting to stick to spinners as they're easier to recover. Best you can do is enterprise 3.5" HDDs, I believe those can do 220-260MB/s sustained (would need to check, they're tuned via firmware for different loads, NAS/Surveillance/Server use etc), that + a powered USB enclosure would be the fastest you could get an external drive to be without using a very expensive RAID enclosure or moving to SSD. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, ChristianM01 said:

All storage mediums are "risky" as they have a timespan of operation before they inevitably degrade or stop working, applies to both HDDs and SSDs. This is why you always have backups at all times.

6 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

All storage mediums are "risky" as they have a timespan of operation before they inevitably degrade or stop working, applies to both HDDs and SSDs. This is why you always have backups at all times.

I moved my data from SSD to Seagate after reading that. So I think different enclosures won't make any difference. Thanks guys for replies.

Is an SSD the better option than an HDD for backing up files (photos, audio, data)? The drive will only be used externally and will not be powered on or attached to a PC continuously. - Quora

Are HDD or SSD preferable as a backup drive? - Quora

6 minutes ago, ChristianM01 said:

Backups don't neccessarily need to be on external media. You can have backups on your computer's internal drives which get powered virtually every day. You could even store backups on cloud services if thats your thing. I have backups on an SSD but I refresh those backups often enough to not worry about data rotting. At the end of the day its up to you what you want to do.