7800X3D questions

just installed. my idle is 47 degrees with NHD15. is this normal? my last ryzen was 40c and i hear power draw for X3D is really low cause it's more sensitive to voltage. 47 seems warm for doing nothing.

i installed the chipset driver, but i don't see ryzen power plan. is this still a thing?

regarding infinity fabric. this no longer has to be half of memory speed? i heard something else does, was it memory controller? whats this called in the bios?

2 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

my idle is 47 degrees with NHD15. is this normal?

It's a little high, my experience in a 21C ambient room was 40C with a similar cooler (AK620), but we don't know how your ambient temp is. What's the load temps? 

4 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

regarding infinity fabric. this no longer has to be half of memory speed?

Correct, the FCLK is no longer tied to the memory frequency and has no benefit being in a static ratio between the two. 

4 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

i heard something else does, was it memory controller? whats this called in the bios?

There is a ratio that matters, the memory controller to memory clock ratio, though usually you want this to be 1:1 rather than 2:1. If you're at or below 6000MT/s, it will default to 1:1 mode and you don't need to worry about it. If you do want to check, the frequency is referred to as "UCLK"

6 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

just installed. my idle is 47 degrees with NHD15. is this normal? my last ryzen was 40c and i hear power draw for X3D is really low cause it's more sensitive to voltage. 47 seems warm for doing nothing.

i installed the chipset driver, but i don't see ryzen power plan. is this still a thing?

regarding infinity fabric. this no longer has to be half of memory speed? i heard something else does, was it memory controller? whats this called in the bios?

The 7000 AM5 CPU's run warm, they target a 95c thermal limit before anything else. Seeing 47c in idle is nothing to worry about, my 7700x run the same if not warmer.  No problemo.
The first video is timed that will explain it. Worth watching both to learn how the CPU's work, completely different from any other CPU's on the market currently.

56 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

i hear power draw for X3D is really low cause it's more sensitive to voltage. 47 seems warm for doing nothing

no, on the contrary, they're designed to run hot. i would simply try getting better cooling, use high fan speeds, to prevent heat built-up.... its not necessary as long nothing overheats, but i would do it anyway (a couple of fans almost cost nothing , definitely worth it imo)

56 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

but i don't see ryzen power plan. is this still a thing

i dunno but i always use "windows balanced" as it gives me best performance in any scenario, with any Ryzen CPU i had. 

Edit: oh, its called "balanced (recommended)" now, coulda sworn it used to be called windows balanced, mb ~

Screenshot(1329).thumb.png.7d9feb78c73e731551306d7de7797e15.png

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

no, on the contrary, they're designed to run hot.

The 7800X3D is kinda the opposite to this, it's an insanely easy chip to keep cool. AMD turned back the settings on it so far that it draws no power and just doesn't get hot. The hottest I've seen the one I played around with get was 85C in Cinebench R23, and in other stress tests and games it wouldn't get much above 60C. It's hot by X58 standards, but by modern CPU standards it's nothing. 

i was looking for UCLK in the bios. i don't see it. but i noticed my CPU was 53c. do my voltages look ok?

20231015_222613.jpg

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 7800X3D is kinda the opposite to this, it's an insanely easy chip to keep cool. AMD turned back the settings on it so far that it draws no power and just doesn't get hot. The hottest I've seen the one I played around with get was 85C in Cinebench R23, and in other stress tests and games it wouldn't get much above 60C. It's hot by X58 standards, but by modern CPU standards it's nothing. 

well, I've only seen the GN videos... 

so they use less power now (how much) and performance stayed ~ the same?

still needs cooling obviously (in my experience you really need to fine tune fan speeds to get comfortable temps (idle for me is 500 cpu, 500 exhaust,  900 front, gpu 0, psu 780) temps around/below 40. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

i was looking for UCLK in the bios. i don't see it.

ASUS doesn't have an option for it in the Extreme Tweaker menu, it's somewhere in the Advanced > AMD Overclocking menu. It's buried in there and I forget the exact submenu it's under, but since you're only at DDR5 6000 there's no reason to try and find it as it will default to 1:1 mode. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

so they use less power now (how much) and performance stayed ~ the same?

Well, not really, in multi threaded applications that don't utilize the extra cache it's quite a bit down on performance compared to the 7700X (in R23 it's 20-21K for the 7700X, 18-19K for the 7800X3D) do to the much lower clock speeds (~5.5GHz max for the 7700X, ~5GHz max for the 7800X3D). As for the power differences, I haven't compared them both directly, though from TechPowerUp the difference is somewhere around 50-70W between those two. A little over half the power draw in the same CPU package, so significantly lower thermal density and therefore much easier to keep cool.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well, I've only seen the GN videos... 

And they've covered this as well, it's pretty well reported that the 7800X3D just doesn't hit TJMax outside of a few very specific scenarios:

16 minutes ago, smoothnobody said:

but i noticed my CPU was 53c. do my voltages look ok?

That's fine, temps are generally higher in the BIOS, and the voltage is fine at 1.1V. 

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

The 7000 AM5 CPU's run warm, they target a 95c thermal limit before anything else.

Btw, this review says 7950x, OP bought a 7800X3D,  which,  by design,  should indeed run cooler. not sure why you posted a video for a different cpu?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

from TechPowerUp the difference is

uses less than my 5800x3D, which is ~130w* max with pbo2 -20 all cores. (iirc, i don't run pbo2 anymore,  its not really significant and not worth the effort, even though max temp is naturally lower, i just never really use my cpu much, most demanding thing is rpcs3, video editing i use my gpu...) 

Spoiler

same as my 3600 btw, MSI just loves these -- illegal -- power options xD

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

does the integrated graphics do anything when you have a dedicated gpu? does disabling it help with temps or volts?

was reading about under volting. i was expecting to adjust to vcore, but i don't see anybody talking about that. seems like everybody is talking about adjusting the curve optimizer with a negative offset. some people are limiting the TDP. i see a few people saying they aren't a fan of PBO and turn it off completely. that would mean it never runs above 4.2 right? i saw a video where a guy reduced a 7700X by 30c and 50w. not sure how relevant that is with 7800X3D but it sounds like it might be worth it.

any other bios tweaks i should know about?

also, my boot time sucks. which apparently is normal. but i read something interesting. somebody said how long memory training takes depends on how much memory you have. is this true? i bought 64gb even though i know going dual rank is a very minimal bump. but i wasn't expecting to hear it's doubling my boot time.

trying to figure out all the recommended tweaks. curve optimizer negative 30 reduced my temps 12c and raised my boost 200mhz. PBO enhanced 3 reduced my temps another 12c and power draw 11w with only a 25 point reduction in cinebench. MCR reduced my boot time from 61 to 13. all of these tweaks are pretty significant. what else should i be aware of?