Microsoft concedes to buy Activision without cloud gaming rights

Altrius II
10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Just FYI, Microsoft basically still get the streaming rights, just not exclusively

i can't believe they scammed the UK government (?) in this way , i just read the press release,  they're actually acting like "cloud gaming" is a thing, instead of the absolute niche product it really is lol...

Also why does the UK government get a say in this at all?  Every country needs to make this decision before the deal  goes through or what? this is sooo convoluted. 🤔

(still they got scammed hard... i also predicted this would happen months ago, you cannot expect politicians or lawmakers to understand "the internet"...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i can't believe they scammed the UK government (?) in this way , i just read the press release,  they're actually acting like "cloud gaming" is a thing, instead of the absolute niche product it really is lol...

Also why does the UK government get a say in this at all?  Every country needs to make this decision before the deal  goes through or what? this is sooo convoluted. 🤔

(still they got scammed hard... i also predicted this would happen months ago, you cannot expect politicians or lawmakers to understand "the internet"...)

This was to clear the EU and/or Ubisoft's issues.  And I'm not perfectly certain they pulled a "fast one" on them.  Someone, somewhere, really thought Cloud Game Streaming Exclusivity to CoD was a massive anti-competition issue.  

Have you ever had to deal with a large group of people and there's someone in the group that has a real "bee in their bonnet" over a very trivial issue but they make a huge deal about it?  Think setting up for an event and they want a plant moved from one spot to another and they won't drop the issue even if it all but doesn't matter?  That's the exact impression I got from this.

The agreement itself it kind of interesting. It is an IP Rights Ownership transfer for products, but it's such a trivial part of the IP Rights that all of the interesting aspects of it   But this agreement doesn't require they be on Steam. If that had happened, it'd have been really wild.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This was to clear the EU and/or Ubisoft's issues.  And I'm not perfectly certain they pulled a "fast one" on them.  Someone, somewhere, really thought Cloud Game Streaming Exclusivity to CoD was a massive anti-competition issue.  

It's not that they pulled a fast one but the stupidity that the new terms of the deal are actually better for Microsoft, someone somewhere just shot themselves in the foot, reloaded and did it again.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

someone somewhere just shot themselves in the foot, reloaded and did it again.

Not only that, the weapon they used was a blunderbuss, so not only did they shoot themselves in the one foot twice, they also managed to hit the other foot both times. When you dig deeper into the conditions on it it just gets worse and worse for competion, and better and better for Microsoft making line go up.

I write software, ride motorcycles, and contradict myself. The last statement was a lie. Developer behind The WAN Database.