Youtube Premium, it's download folder, and my time with Google

It’s been about three years since this started.  I've been a Youtube Red subscriber since like day two of its release.  I don't have great internet where I live so it was perfect for me to download videos and watch on my phone when I was somewhere without good connectivity  YouTube premium allows you to download videos for offline use.  I also use that folder to keep as a backlog of what I want to watch and everything worked fine.  I could cast from that folder, add to queue and everything was good.  2020 rolls around and all of a sudden the add to queue button doesn't work from that folder.  Everything else works as normal but if you click the add to queue in downloads, nothing happens.  It will say that it added your queue, but they never do.  I gave it a few months thinking it was just a glitch, but it never went away.  I called Google sometime in 2021.  They spent a week looking through this and told me it was how this was supposed to work.  Functionality just gone and the ui says it is there.  Felt a little gaslit, but let it go and have just kept dealing with it.  Last year something changed that made that folder even worse.  Now when you hit play on any video from that folder, it queues up every video in the folder from newest to oldest.  For context I keep about 70-100 videos downloaded at a time and I'm downloading things that I want to watch.  It's extremely stupid as if I have a bunch of older vids in a let's play series, I want to watch them first.  This is a stupid way to do things.  I reached out yesterday as I got tired of it again and spoke to an ai that didn't know what I was talking about.  Has anyone else noticed this issue or had any luck sending this broken function to Google where they acknowledge it?  I know I can use the watch later folder, but if I'm traveling and not driving it's nice to have something to watch on a plane.   Would love to try and fix this since they are raising the prices of premium and this should be solved.  

IMG_4400.png

IMG_4398.png

I mean they do NOT want you to have downloads on your phone. It's basically how every streamer works. Make the download option crap so people dont use it.

Revanced does it way better but that is then not a fully legit app

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 11:49 AM, jaslion said:

I mean they do NOT want you to have downloads on your phone. It's basically how every streamer works. Make the download option crap so people dont use it.

Revanced does it way better but that is then not a fully legit app

If that was really the case, it wouldn't be a core feature and reason to buy into their subscription. Seems like they just need a lot of people giving feedback for features they find important related to downloads.

8 hours ago, Sdwerd said:

If that was really the case, it wouldn't be a core feature and reason to buy into their subscription. Seems like they just need a lot of people giving feedback for features they find important related to downloads.

It isnt a core feature.

Its a checkbox on a list of features to entice customers into the platform.

There is a reason they havemt bothered fixing it and that reason is that its just not important to them and in the mean time you already have subbed

top 10 inapropriate messages?

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!