Diy powerbank

Somerandomtechyboi

I wanna get some experience with actually screwing around with electronics cause atm i know basically nothing and i also wanna play around with modifying mobos and other hardware (mainly voltmods) and do some more in depth repairs that arent just toss in a bucket of water and hope its issue was just a bunch of filth and not something else so maybe i can revive some of the dead boards in my mobo graveyard, cant do that if i dont know shit about electronics tho

And yes this is also an excuse to buy some solder equipment to fix that other x58a ud3r =p

Budget would be around 20$

Screenshot_20231011_110945.thumb.jpg.bb2a7afab145fe0bf24767e9af36a617.jpg

Heres the battery im looking at, 3$ for 10ah battery, apparently they are factory rejects so probs not gonna be full 10ah but good enough for a starter project

Now onto the questions and stuff that im completely confused on

Screenshot_20231011_111943.thumb.jpg.66523ee8eb1c956cdb667438b86c8a17.jpgScreenshot_20231011_112025.thumb.jpg.097153b17412551ffe9359aeb476dc4a.jpg

For bms i assume 1s 2s 3s and stuff is just for configs using batteries in series

what protections and features i need on these bms?

Are lithium ion and lithium polymer interchangable and can use the same bms?

And do you charge and discharge the batteries via the bms? The 1st one suggests that but the 2nd one doesnt have a port

Then theres actually charging a phone with the damn battery and i dont think i can just use pure battery voltage and id have to step it up to 5v 9v or 12v

most phone chargers seem to be able to automatically be able to switch between those voltages so how would i go about implementing that on this diy powerbank rather than having a static 5v output?

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

For bms i assume 1s 2s 3s and stuff is just for configs using batteries in series

what protections and features i need on these bms?

Correct. You want overcharge/overdischarge/overcurrent protections. If multiple series, ideally with balancing.

Are lithium ion and lithium polymer interchangable and can use the same bms?

Yes as long as they're 4.2V full charge voltage. 4.1V Li-ions have practically disappeared by now.

And do you charge and discharge the batteries via the bms?

Yep

Then theres actually charging a phone with the damn battery and i dont think i can just use pure battery voltage and id have to step it up to 5v 9v or 12v

You'll just need to buy a board that does the whole thing. E.g for 1s packs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005652257259.html

For multiple series cells:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005266617227.html

Check the features e.g. QC/PD you want both for charge and discharge.

It'll handle everything charge and discharge so basically connect the battery to that and you have your power bank. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Personally wouldn’t start with a LiPo battery bank. Lithium batteries are very temperamental and like to set on fire when angry. Easier projects are things like radios, GPS systems etc that you can also use coding for. 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:39 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I wanna get some experience with actually screwing around with electronics

Not sure this is the best path: You would solder some wires and call it a day as all the engineering is already done with those modules.

Might buy a prebuilt powerbank and get some transistor, resistor, capacitor, potentiometer, LED, battery and breadboard. With these you could start playing around by building a legendary 555, amplifiers, oscillators, audio filters and more.

If you want dev-boards teach yourself PC programming with C. Read up on embedded programming with RTOS, apply for competitions with your project idea (e.g. RT-Thread runs multiple competitions per year). 

Btw. If you want to spend money after all: LT-spice is a free simulation software.

People never go out of business.

21 hours ago, RabbidEwok said:

Personally wouldn’t start with a LiPo battery bank. Lithium batteries are very temperamental and like to set on fire when angry. Easier projects are things like radios, GPS systems etc that you can also use coding for. 

Definitely aware of lipos being temperemental if those exploding lipo battery vids on yt are anything to go by

Kinda wanna build a battery bank just because i wanna have abit of experience with batteries cause in the future ill problably make some sort of behemoth 500wh+ battery with some lifepo4 softcells to power a computer off it

Maybe ill just start with some of those lifepo4 batteries since those are the kinds of batteries i wanna work with (not temperemental unlike liion and lipos and alot more abuse resistant not to mention no worries of explosions or anything like that), abit pricey but oh well