Best way to use PC as TV media center

Hi,

I own a Google TV, but I find it slow and am tired of seeing ads on YouTube. 

What is the best way to use a laptop as a media center for my TV: where do you store the PC, how do you control it (options to turn on/off without pressing the physical button, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.)?

I would like ideas on a setup that makes it as easy as using a remote and turning on the TV. Any resources/videos are much appreciated. 

Thanks! 

I use my TV as my monitor. I use HDMI to my soundbar, then to my TV.. I think 😄

Outside of that, I do not really watch TV since the early 2000s. The family has their TV and stuff upstairs.

I keep my tower about 3.5 feet off the floor, beside my TV. I use USB extensions and sit on a couch with a mouse and keyboard using my coffee table as my desktop.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

We only use HTPCs here at the house, there is a PC hooked to every TV in the house.

I use the media style keyboards. I prefer the microsoft version.  Logitech makes one of these as well, that has a better keyboard portion, but the touch pad sucks (personal opinion).  However you have all sorts of options here, both larger and smaller.

Most PCs today support wake my keyboard option if you want. For us, we normally just hit the button on the PC. Using a laptop though, that would be a bit tougher.

i have a keyboarded and mouse on my bed.  i also put a pcie power button remote to power it on.

there are keyboarded with built in mouse but i think there meh.

there are hand mouses but dont no how well they are.

i guess if your just opting a folder to watch a move it be fine but watching with youtube i think would need a mouse imo

dont no if there a controller that works with youtube?🤔 posably workes with a console. 

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

41 minutes ago, ClementMV said:

Hi,

I own a Google TV, but I find it slow and am tired of seeing ads on YouTube. 

What is the best way to use a laptop as a media center for my TV: where do you store the PC, how do you control it (options to turn on/off without pressing the physical button, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.)?

I would like ideas on a setup that makes it as easy as using a remote and turning on the TV. Any resources/videos are much appreciated. 

Thanks! 

I have my Macbook connected to my TV. I just have the Macbook sitting under the TV. I use my Keychron K6 in Bluetooth for my Keyboard and a Bluetooth Logitech mouse. I used to have a Fire stick and still have the remote and use that for on/off control on the TV. I have some Logitech PC speakers connected to my TV via RCA and I use that for speakers (TV speakers are blown out). I also can connect headphones wired to the Logitech speakers if I want a private listening experience or I use Bluetooth headphones.

A couple of things. Many streaming providers will only provide low resolution content if you stream thru a web browser. This is due to the fact they treat law abiding citizens as criminals because there is a chance you might use a screen recorder to record content. I do think that if you use Edge on some streaming providers they will give you full quality however. I dont use Edge. Just be aware of these trade offs.

YouTube

Google is in the process of blocking ad blockers on YouTube. Ghostery and uBlock no longer work for me. Basically they start by bringing up a pop up that says ad blockers are not allowed, they give options to turn off ad blocking or subbing to premium, there is an X at the right. Eventually the X will only appear after a timer counts down. I think after a certain point they block the ability to watch videos. Premium in the US is currently $13.99/m and that's for a individual plan, considering other streaming platforms give at least 2 screens for that price its utter bullshit. They want $22.99/m for a family plan. Individual for a year is $139.99 which is cheaper than the $13.99 a month but still too much in my opinion. The biggest slap in the face is that if you sub to YouTube TV they don't give you Premium included or give you a discount. My friend has Youtube TV and has to pay for premium as well. People will say "Oh they give you YouTube music". I don't care about Music, give a plan without music for half the price and Id consider it. My car as an AM/FM radio I can get music for free.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 2:44 AM, OhioYJ said:

We only use HTPCs here at the house, there is a PC hooked to every TV in the house.

I use the media style keyboards. I prefer the microsoft version.  Logitech makes one of these as well, that has a better keyboard portion, but the touch pad sucks (personal opinion).  However you have all sorts of options here, both larger and smaller.

Most PCs today support wake my keyboard option if you want. For us, we normally just hit the button on the PC. Using a laptop though, that would be a bit tougher.

I have been using the Microsoft keyboard for years, also. It is perfect for an HTPC because of the trackpad. The only issue is when you are watching your TV at night with low ambient light, it's getting hard to see the keys. The Logitech K830's backlit keyboard looked promising but was discontinued due to the weak micro USB connector.