Outdoor radiator anyone? Summer update.

My outdoor radiator survived the Summer.  No issues.   I ran my  10900k @ 5.3ghz all 10 cores during the summer and am now turning it back up to 5.4ghz.  No real difference but might as well make use of the thermal headroom I've created.  Thermals are no longer an issue.  I can overclock to max hardware potential.  Room no longer heats up and no noise.  Add 8" of tubing  and put your radiator outside. 10 out of 10 would recommend. 

On 10/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, Bestscrewdriverever said:

You can search outdoor radiator anyone for the winter discussion

Or you could link it for us.

Ive been thinking of some outdoor solutions as well, tho going into the ground then bury it incased in a metal box running thru rads. tho not sure how deep id have to dig in order to find those really cold temps. Vs to cold & condensation. ive been thinking of this for yrs now tho havn't seen any 1 do it. vs If it's even worth it. Tho id love to get really cool temps for why not. & to experiment. Im not sold on it at all. Also pumps. EDIT: the crazy sh*t we think about to get our gear cooled down haha.Geothermal-Systems-Examples.jpeg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

34 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Ive been thinking of some outdoor solutions as well, tho going into the ground then bury it incased in a metal box running thru rads. tho not sure how deep id have to dig in order to find those really cold temps. Vs to cold & condensation. ive been thinking of this for yrs now tho havn't seen any 1 do it. vs If it's even worth it. Tho id love to get really cool temps for why not. & to experiment. Im not sold on it at all. Also pumps. EDIT: the crazy sh*t we think about to get our gear cooled down haha.

Digging deeper will get you less cold temps (in winter) but it will be more even year round. For example, my hometown has brutally long and cold winters. Our frost line is about 8 to 10 feet. Compare that to South Dakota at 18 iches.

It is an interesting idea though.

Geo thermal would be cool.   That's basically what Linus is trying to do with his swimming pool.  They usually have a lot of underground piping so I'm not sure how practical it would be to do for 1 PC.   It was very cold last winter and I had no condensation.  The trick is another radiator set up as intake.  Inside case temp drops when the fluid temp drops.  This makes the dew point equation work in our favor. 

You'll need to find out the lowest possible Frost line in your area if you want to avoid freezing temps. But, hey, antifreeze will do the trick if you're going for really low temps. 😉

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I use antifreeze.  In the first pic you can see the coolant temp is 2 degrees Celsius. Second pic shows 12 degrees. Another benefit of the second intake radiator inside the case, is that I can adjust the coolant temp by increasing or decreasing inside/outside fans.  Pretty slick.  It's a free, very powerful chiller.  the system can't go much below freezing and the lowering of temp inside case, prevents condensation.   

11 hours ago, Bestscrewdriverever said:

I use antifreeze.  In the first pic you can see the coolant temp is 2 degrees Celsius. Second pic shows 12 degrees. Another benefit of the second intake radiator inside the case, is that I can adjust the coolant temp by increasing or decreasing inside/outside fans.  Pretty slick.  It's a free, very powerful chiller.  the system can't go much below freezing and the lowering of temp inside case, prevents condensation.   

Yeah, old eyes, bad vision on a mobile phone so I tend not to look at that stuff anymore unless I must. Do you want sub-0 or just stable, year-round temps?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂