Xubuntu 9.04 Nintendo Wii

Ported a newer version of xubuntu for the Nintendo Wii. Working on an even newer one once I compile a newer kernel.

Downloads here - https://github.com/Wiibuntu/Xubuntu-9.04-Wii#xubuntu-904-wii

You can also find more information on the GitHub but will leave the basics here.

How to install:

In the download section (on GitHub) you will find a .img.gz file. That file will contain a .img file with two partitions: a fat32 partition and a ext3 partition. The fat32 partition will contain the Linux loader for the Homebrew Channel.

Just flash this image to an SD Card (8gb or more needed!)

NOT TESTED ON USB.

IMG_0953.jpg

Can you use the Wiimote? Or do you have to plug in a mouse and keyboard?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

1 hour ago, LloydLynx said:

Can you use the Wiimote? Or do you have to plug in a mouse and keyboard?

At the moment no, Mouse and keyboard is needed, and a hub works fine. But there is a driver for it out there already that can possibly be ported over.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool 😮

Do you have any specific goal related to gaming or is it just for the coolness itself?

14 hours ago, olimexsmart said:

Very cool 😮

Do you have any specific goal related to gaming or is it just for the coolness itself?

Just want to bring new life back into my old Wii, with linux it makes it so much easier to just compile and test open source stuff on hardware it should NEVER be on lol. 

Just actually made a more up to date release but is MUCH more broken. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, Wiibuntu said:

Just want to bring new life back into my old Wii, with linux it makes it so much easier to just compile and test open source stuff on hardware it should NEVER be on lol. 

Just actually made a more up to date release but is MUCH more broken. 

I am SO happy to see someone getting back into this. I myself have like 3-4 Wiis and have wanted to make a computing cluster out of them using a modern kernel just to say "I have a Wii computing cluster", how hard would doing something minimal with it, such as Arch, Debian, or Gentoo with only a CLI? If I wanted to start doing what you're doing, what do I need to learn?

On 10/26/2023 at 12:27 PM, HeroRareheart said:

I am SO happy to see someone getting back into this. I myself have like 3-4 Wiis and have wanted to make a computing cluster out of them using a modern kernel just to say "I have a Wii computing cluster", how hard would doing something minimal with it, such as Arch, Debian, or Gentoo with only a CLI? If I wanted to start doing what you're doing, what do I need to learn?

Personally I have not messed around with any other distros yet. Debian I did a little bit but when I had better luck with Ubuntu I stuck with that for now. The hardest part is going to be getting a functioning kernel to boot using the gumboot bootloader.

I've compiled a few myself but all of them over kernel version 4 has led to the screen turning green with a hard console lockup. Would like to eventually post the kernel code on GitHub so anyone who has any ideas can help, Cause I am for sure no pro.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, Wiibuntu said:

The hardest part is going to be getting a functioning kernel to boot using the gumboot bootloader.

Do you think there is a way to override the default bootloader and use grub?

Could ultimate boot cd be compiled (the boot management and super grub disk 2) for the powerpc arch and boot from that to get into the grub installed by a system?

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:19 PM, E-waste said:

Do you think there is a way to override the default bootloader and use grub?

Could ultimate boot cd be compiled (the boot management and super grub disk 2) for the powerpc arch and boot from that to get into the grub installed by a system?

Getting Grub to boot either from homebrew channel or from gumboot should be possible, but right now I have not tried it yet. Yaboot could work too.

I'm curious why specifically your using Ubuntu 9.04 specifically? Have you not tried a more modern version of Ubuntu?

34 minutes ago, 10leej said:

I'm curious why specifically your using Ubuntu 9.04 specifically? Have you not tried a more modern version of Ubuntu?

21 hours ago, Wiibuntu said:

And now I ask the same concerning Ubuntu 14.04

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 6:50 PM, 10leej said:

And now I ask the same concerning Ubuntu 14.04

Because of the Kernel being older it can only run up to some versions. Compiling a newer kernel for the Wii is more complex then using/modifying already made Wii kernels. 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:20 PM, Wiibuntu said:

Because of the Kernel being older it can only run up to some versions. Compiling a newer kernel for the Wii is more complex then using/modifying already made Wii kernels. 

then I hope you never connect this device to the internet