Touchscreen calendar

vanamp

Has anyone tackled this project?  I was ready to just buy something off the shelf but of course, all are subscription models and even then seem to lack some basic important functions.

Before I reinvent the wheel has anyone done this and maybe even specifically for Google Calendar? 

Techie dad needs to stay organized and I am currently dealing with a paper calendar with notes and schedules written or taped to the calendar.

Haven't seen anyone do it but I'm curious. What sort of functionality are you looking for that requires more than just an old iPad running Google Calendar?

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

11 hours ago, Wardus said:

Haven't seen anyone do it but I'm curious. What sort of functionality are you looking for that requires more than just an old iPad running Google Calendar?

Well, I do have a pile of old iPads but they won't update anymore and even the browser is bad in their current state.  The display is way too small too.

Looking for something big enough that you can see at a glance like a traditional wall calendar and touchscreen so you can touch an event on a day and get more details.

The bonus mission will be to make it big enough to simulate the look of a traditional paper wall calendar but instead of a picture on the top half there will be "widgets" with weather, photo slide show, Spotify and maybe even HVAC/light controls.

Literally doing the same thing, I wanted a separate device because I get notification fatigue and swipe away before I read everything.

I was planning on using an old laptop I have that is missing the display (long dumb story) and a usb-c touchscreen monitor to set something up with I'm thinking MagicMirror²? not finalized yet.

8 hours ago, Labeled said:

Literally doing the same thing, I wanted a separate device because I get notification fatigue and swipe away before I read everything.

I was planning on using an old laptop I have that is missing the display (long dumb story) and a usb-c touchscreen monitor to set something up with I'm thinking MagicMirror²? not finalized yet.

I am early in planning but am researching different Android OS with the thinking that a mobile OS will be a little better with touchscreen controls. The calendar part should be easy enough with just a browser window but trying to add widgets for weather and other functions is going to require something that handles floating windows well which might be a challenge