Logitech G520 Proteus Core Gaming mouse2

xToFxREAPER

Heyy ltt. So i noticed a new toy at one of local stores today and decided i just had to pick it up, The first time i saw the proteus core i wanted it but never saw them around until today so i bought the last one in the store :) So lets start simple i suppose.

Packaging

Now for anyone else that has read my reviews previously you would know that packaging matters to me. The way i see it If your making something nice package it atleast as nicely and this is something i think the proteus did very nicely. The box is clean and tasteful not overloaded with logos or features or branding. They keep it small and simple and to be honest i think this is the smallest box any of my mice has ever come in meaning they avoided needless waste material. Basic specs of the mouse are all on the side of the box, Weighting system and what not is tastefully added on the back. There is a magneticly closed flap on the front that lets you see and (sort of) get a feel for the mouse with a small snippet from logitech pushing their product :P

post-6391-0-02445700-1400299951_thumb.jp

post-6391-0-83045300-1400299959_thumb.jp

First Impressions

When i first got this mouse un packed and held it without even plugging it in i could tell i was going to love it. By default all the weights are removed making the mouse quite light. For reference by a rough guess my naga 2012 edition feels almost twice as heavy! The rubber textured grips felt really weird and almost uncomfortable at first but after about and hour with the mouse they feel amazing in my hand. For reference i have roughly the same size hands as linus maybe a little bit larger, i find i can either palm or claw this mouse nicely depending on what game im playing and which buttons i need to be able to click. Overall the mouse feels very solid and extremely well built, i feel as though i could throw it at a spider and it would come out of it without a mark :P The cable is very nicely braided, the cable itself its quite thick compared to the nagas cable though thats neither a pro nor a con just something i felt worth noting.

post-6391-0-87424500-1400299957_thumb.jp

Shape And Comfort

I have been using this mouse for a little over a week now playing mostly diablo 3, at first i felt it was to narrow and to long and was rather displeased. After a few days i found my hand fatigue and soreness in my wrist from hours upon hours of diablo 3 and forum lurking ;) i find it far more comfortable then my naga. I have swapped the pieces in and out of the naga in an attempt to match the comfort i get out of this mouse and i just dont think its possible, atleast not for my hands.

Features and performance

Now a lot of people i know will say "well a mouse is a mouse.. right?" and they couldnt be more wrong. I have collected a few mice over the past two years including a rat7 contagion edition, Roccat Kone+ the razer naga 2012 edition among others and i can easily say this is by far my favorite mouse. Why? Is it the 12,000 dpi optical sensor? partially yes but more then anything its the customizability of it. With the weighting system you can balance the weights were you want them be it towards the front, rear or either side. The sensor tracks extremely well and can be re calibrated within seconds for optimal tracking on whatever surface it is you happen to use, In my case i use the diablo 3 reaper of souls collectors edition mouse pad which has a plastic coating on it and it tracks far smoother then my naga ever has (i will be referencing my naga a lot as it has been my go to mouse for a long while now) regardless of the surface or whether you re calibrated it. All buttons on the mouse are placed in fantastic locations and can be very easily accessed even when clawing the mouse save for the thumb button. The buttons can be programmed to whatever you want and if you have other logitech peripherals such as the g710+ the g13 or any other keyboard/keypad with g keys on it you can set one to be a g shift key meaning you effectively DOUBLE the buttons you have on your mouse by simply holding down a button on your keyboard and releasing it when you need a different programmed command. You can create custom macros, 3 on board profiles, you can set it to launch profiles based on what .exe you are launching and can set multiple profiles per exe which you can then set a button on either the mouse or other keyboard peripherals that will allow you to swap through those profiles on the fly. This is an extremely feature packed mouse that i could honestly write a mini novel about just to get all the features out there but to sum it up in a few words i can easily say this mouse can be set to do anything you want and becomes even more effective if you have other logitech peripherals to go along with it. 

post-6391-0-13822400-1400299954_thumb.jp

post-6391-0-98764100-1400299955_thumb.jp

Final Thoughts

This mouse has the most solid platform atleast in my opinion of any mouse i have tested in the past 2 years, it feels amazing in your hands, with the rubber textured grips it takes little effort to lift and move should you need to and you dont have to worry about accidentally pressing a button like you would on the naga. Between the amazing weighting system and probably the hands down best software and programmability make this my new go to mouse for years to come. Everything about this mouse just feels very high end and your definitely getting your moneys worth out of this product and i would whole heartedly recommend this product to any friends family or fellow forums members that are in the market for a new mouse :)

Thanks for reading my review guys im still new to this kind of thing so any friendly constructive criticism would be fantastic also, Would this review sell you on this product if you were in market for a mouse? Do you have any experience with this product and feel i forgot something i should add? let me know and ill do my best to improve the review every chance i get.

on mine one of the wights fall out 

Really? all mine fit really snug i actually had to put a fair bit of effort in to get it all the way seated in so that the cover plate would actually sit properly lol

It looks really bad.....

Lol what makes it looks so bad..

on mine one of the wights fall out 

That just means you didn't put it in all the way in the first place. I've been using mine for almost a month now with zero issues. I also just removed the backplate and tapped my mouse on my mousepad several times and the weight I use is still firmly in place.

It looks really bad.....

Looks are nothing more than a matter of opinion. For me I wanted the mouse on looks alone. I had been using an Mx518 for 9 years, and every time I thought about getting a new mouse I never did because my current one was working perfectly. But I was so impressed with how the 502 looked that I didn't care that my current mouse was still good. The fact that it was from a brand I trust and that the price was reasonable certainly helped.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

it's starting to look like the most annoying mice on the market... the R.A.T series D': everyone buzzes about the R.A.T they look horrible

People are raving about this mouse because of its sensor which is apparently perfect not because of stupid looks like the RAT

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

People are raving about this mouse because of its sensor which is apparently perfect not because of stupid looks like the RAT

i'll just stick with my naga for now, since i still play mmo's

Good review, I wonder who will actually take advantage of that much DPI. I have the G602 and I love it.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I also recently bought this, although it annoyingly coincided with the need to return my graphics card for replacement so haven't been able to put it through its paces properly yet in a game, but have been using it for general use.

I will say it fits my very large hands very well, all of the buttons can be reached intuitively and it's generally very well made. It's a keeper for sure.

My two very minor complaints so far?

- The little blue part of the thumb rest which is actually part of the removable base is made from a shiny plastic that gets a bit sweaty after a while

- In clicking mode, the scroll wheel feels mighty clunky. This will probably be a good thing for gaming as it can used more as a button (its easy to turn it one click without accidentally doing two) but it feels a bit too weighty to be comfortable scrolling through web pages. 

I also recently bought this, although it annoyingly coincided with the need to return my graphics card for replacement so haven't been able to put it through its paces properly yet in a game, but have been using it for general use.

I will say it fits my very large hands very well, all of the buttons can be reached intuitively and it's generally very well made. It's a keeper for sure.

My two very minor complaints so far?

- The little blue part of the thumb rest which is actually part of the removable base is made from a shiny plastic that gets a bit sweaty after a while

- In clicking mode, the scroll wheel feels mighty clunky. This will probably be a good thing for gaming as it can used more as a button (its easy to turn it one click without accidentally doing two) but it feels a bit too weighty to be comfortable scrolling through web pages. 

I thought the same thing when I first got mine, but within a week of using it I didn't feel that way any more. Just took some getting used to compared to my old mouse but now it's perfect.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

You make me want it even more ! Congrats on your purchase and review ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

You make me want it even more ! Congrats on your purchase and review ;)

Good review, I wonder who will actually take advantage of that much DPI. I have the G602 and I love it.

Thanks guys i rarely ever do reviews so its still new territory, i might start doing some more here and there since i buy new stuff way to much :P

it's starting to look like the most annoying mice on the market... the R.A.T series D': everyone buzzes about the R.A.T they look horrible

Hey, don't insulted my beloved RAT. I used to love that mouse. :D

Anyway, great review man, I am really getting bored of my G600s and I am looking for something to change it with, though this one has blue accents, so unfortunately it's a no go. It's a shame though cause I really like the look of it, it's so... futuristic and unique. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Hey, don't insulted my beloved RAT. I used to love that mouse. :D

Anyway, great review man, I am really getting bored of my G600s and I am looking for something to change it with, though this one has blue accents, so unfortunately it's a no go. It's a shame though cause I really like the look of it, it's so... futuristic and unique. 

Yeah its a wicked mouse, i dont mind the blue accents at all because of the blue on the lightning edtiion 780's i been accenting a little more blue where i can