Improve set up for editing

MartinE285
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, MartinE285 said:

The only component that is maxing out occasionally is the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770 but Premier is set to run on the 4070 so I'm not sure why the CPU's inbuilt graphics is taking such a hit

Screenshot 2023-10-01 142743.png

Are you plugging in a monitor to the motherboard and not the graphics card?

If so do not do that anything on that monitor will use the hd770 and premiere kinda hates having to use 2 gpus stability wise which also would explain random black screening

Btw the hd770 is KNOWN to cause the black screen issue in premiere. It is advise to DISABLE the igpu in bios when using adobe software with hd700 series intel gpus

I recently built my first PC. I upgraded from my laptop so that my machine could handle editing easier. I thought the specs I went for would be enough (Specs below) but when editing 4K on 1/2 resolution my computer still stutters, freezes and sometimes the video will just go dark so only the audioplays without any video after a period of time (around 1.5 - 2 hours of editing). Also I wanted to be able to edit 4k on full resolution. 

Looking at my set up, where do you think I need to upgrade to get a smoother experience? Is there a tool I can use to see where my computer is failing after a few hours editing? I have HWMonitor but I don't see anything conclusive there. 

I'm wondering if maybe I don't have enough fans, I am just using the ones that came with the case and CPU cooler so 3 at the top, one at the back and 3 at the front. 

Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xxhk9c

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (£379.98 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£254.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory  (£154.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£148.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  (£831.48 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  (£238.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£138.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  (£110.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £2257.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-01 14:02 BST+0100

9 minutes ago, MartinE285 said:

Looking at my set up, where do you think I need to upgrade to get a smoother experience? Is there a tool I can use to see where my computer is failing after a few hours editing? I have HWMonitor but I don't see anything conclusive there.

Honestly, no? Nothing stands out. Your PC should be more than capable.

After 1.5 - 2 hours it could even just be a memory leak in the software itself, so it's hard to say.

If you run task manager when it is going slow, what components are running at 100%?

Has the memory usage of the software increased considerably after 1.5 - 2 hours?

Does anyone else who uses the software with the same components report problems?

Do you have similar problems with different editing software?

Is there an option in the software to switch from GPU to CPU, or from CPU to GPU? Similarly, could the viewport run on the integrated graphics and the editor use your 4070 Ti, or vice versa?

The only component that is maxing out occasionally is the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770 but Premier is set to run on the 4070 so I'm not sure why the CPU's inbuilt graphics is taking such a hit

4k is just a resolution. What codec? (file type) and bitrate is the source footage. What software,...?

Even pro level video editing is RARELY done on full rez native files or full rez full stop unless doin some pixel fuckery work.

But it going dark basically screams software issue

Just now, MartinE285 said:

If so do not do that anything on that monitor will use the hd770 and premiere kinda hates having to use 2 gpus stability wise which also would explain random black screening

Btw the hd770 is KNOWN to cause the black screen issue in premiere. It is advise to DISABLE the igpu in bios when using adobe software with hd700 series intel gpus

I feel like the footage should be relatively easy to handle as I'm only using a Sony ZV-1 and as I said, I'm on 1/2 res all the time.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 143419.png

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I'm plugging the monitor into the GPU. 

I'll try disabling the igpu. 

Thank you!