7800X3D High Idle Temps

Mozametweakin

Just built a new system with an H5 Flow, NHD15, and a 7800X3D. At idle, it's sitting around 55-60C. Under load, it's ~85C, but I know that's normal for this type of CPU. The main reason I am questioning how to solve this is because the temps were around 32C in the BIOS, so I don't know why they're so much higher in windows. On the NHD15, there are screws with springs on them, and I bottomed out the spring, so maybe the cooler is too tight?

One strange thing I noticed was that I have 5 fans in the system, and 2 on the NHD15, but only 1 or 2 would show up in the bios and in a fan control software. All of them spin, just 1 or 2 show up, meaning I can only change the curve for those couple. The cpu fan did show up though, and when I cranked the RPM up, I didn't really see a temperature change.

9 minutes ago, Mozametweakin said:

Just built a new system with an H5 Flow, NHD15, and a 7800X3D. At idle, it's sitting around 55-60C. Under load, it's ~85C, but I know that's normal for this type of CPU. The main reason I am questioning how to solve this is because the temps were around 32C in the BIOS, so I don't know why they're so much higher in windows. On the NHD15, there are screws with springs on them, and I bottomed out the spring, so maybe the cooler is too tight?

One strange thing I noticed was that I have 5 fans in the system, and 2 on the NHD15, but only 1 or 2 would show up in the bios and in a fan control software. All of them spin, just 1 or 2 show up, meaning I can only change the curve for those couple. The cpu fan did show up though, and when I cranked the RPM up, I didn't really see a temperature change.

That processor is design to run that hot, at  95F

2 hours ago, ET_Explorer said:

That processor is design to run that hot, at  95F

55C is 130F, not 95

26 minutes ago, Mozametweakin said:

It's rather high at idle, unless it's not really idle with things running in the background (antivirus, updates..)

What's the cooler fans speed ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

It's rather high at idle, unless it's not really idle with things running in the background (antivirus, updates..)

What's the cooler fans speed ?

I mean I don’t know if I should disable the windows security stuff but that runs in the background. Fans are fine - running at 800-1200rpm, hard to tell which ones are the cpu fans though

I suggest loosening up the screws and then retightening them according to the instructions. 

As for the fans, are the invisible ones connected to the same headers as the visible ones? If not, please list all fans and state how many pins the plugs accept. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I have absolutely the same issue right now with a NH-D14 from Noctua and a 5800X. - 50-60°C in IDLE and 80-90 in full load. And sometimes it drops to 30.

Seems rather high. If you find a solution let me know

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I suggest loosening up the screws and then retightening them according to the instructions. 

As for the fans, are the invisible ones connected to the same headers as the visible ones? If not, please list all fans and state how many pins the plugs accept. 

For the CPU fans, there are two on the NHD15, plugged into a y splitter, into the CPU header. For the 5 pc fans, I have them all onto a fan hub, which is plugged into a system fan header.

The weird thing though was that on Fan Control it showed 2 system fans that I could change, the cpu fan, and when I changed the rpm, it changed it just for that one fan. It showed the other 4 fans, but it just had a dash and I couldn't change the rpm at all

7 minutes ago, Mozametweakin said:

For the CPU fans, there are two on the NHD15, plugged into a y splitter, into the CPU header. For the 5 pc fans, I have them all onto a fan hub, which is plugged into a system fan header.

The weird thing though was that on Fan Control it showed 2 system fans that I could change, the cpu fan, and when I changed the rpm, it changed it just for that one fan. It showed the other 4 fans, but it just had a dash and I couldn't change the rpm at all

Ok, you need to understand that when you use a splitter, repeater, node, hub, controller, etc, BIOS will usually only see the first fan because they're wired in series, not parallel. I'm not aware of whether it's even possible to do fans in parallel so that all are visible. The first fan and mobo are all that matters - every other fan in the series follows what the first one is told to do. Ideally, you want all fans to be around the same RPM range to make sure some fans aren't needed. If you look at a splitter, you'll see that one socket has 4 pins and the other has 3. The one with 4 pins is the first. On the other stuff, sometimes the first port is red, and/or says port 0 or 1. Hubs and controllers can provide additional control, maybe of each or just the first, via knobs, disks, or a remote control. 

If the device plugs into both your mobo and your PSU, you have multiple control options, including BIOS, mobo and third party software (like Fan Control) but, if it's not plugged into the mobo at all, or just ARGB is, then you'll only be able to use the controls that come with it, plus ARGB in BIOS + software like OpenRGB or SignalRGB. 

Some software is able to see additional fans. Corsair iCUE can see both of my CPU fans and all of my other ones no matter whether they're on a splitter or the repeater and node, but Fan Control can't,  which is irritating because I need the latter far more than the former. I have 12 fans, including my cooler, but FC only sees 6. 😞😓😩😤😡😠

Maybe I made a mistake and didn't have one of the cooler fans plugged in when I calibrated it, so I'll have to check when I get home. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Ok, you need to understand that when you use a splitter, repeater, node, hub, controller, etc, BIOS will usually only see the first fan because they're wired in series, not parallel. I'm not aware of whether it's even possible to do fans in parallel so that all are visible. The first fan and mobo are all that matters - every other fan in the series follows what the first one is told to do. Ideally, you want all fans to be around the same RPM range to make sure some fans aren't needed. If you look at a splitter, you'll see that one socket has 4 pins and the other has 3. The one with 4 pins is the first. On the other stuff, sometimes the first port is red, and/or says port 0 or 1. Hubs and controllers can provide additional control, maybe of each or just the first, via knobs, disks, or a remote control. 

If the device plugs into both your mobo and your PSU, you have multiple control options, including BIOS, mobo and third party software (like Fan Control) but, if it's not plugged into the mobo at all, or just ARGB is, then you'll only be able to use the controls that come with it, plus ARGB in BIOS + software like OpenRGB or SignalRGB. 

Some software is able to see additional fans. Corsair iCUE can see both of my CPU fans and all of my other ones no matter whether they're on a splitter or the repeater and node, but Fan Control can't,  which is irritating because I need the latter far more than the former. I have 12 fans, including my cooler, but FC only sees 6. 😞😓😩😤😡😠

Maybe I made a mistake and didn't have one of the cooler fans plugged in when I calibrated it, so I'll have to check when I get home. 

I took off the cooler and saw that the thermal paste did look thin in the center, so I reapplied it, and put the cooler back on not as tight, and now they're low to mid 40s at idle. This might be just an AMD thing, because my last cpu did a similar thing, but it will jump up to like 55-60, then go back down about 2C/s. It does this at idle sometimes, but mainly does it when opening an app like steam for example. It'll instantly shoot up to 60C, then, for the most part, will steadily go back down to 40-45C 

10 hours ago, Mozametweakin said:

I took off the cooler and saw that the thermal paste did look thin in the center, so I reapplied it, and put the cooler back on not as tight, and now they're low to mid 40s at idle. This might be just an AMD thing, because my last cpu did a similar thing, but it will jump up to like 55-60, then go back down about 2C/s. It does this at idle sometimes, but mainly does it when opening an app like steam for example. It'll instantly shoot up to 60C, then, for the most part, will steadily go back down to 40-45C 

So are you satisfied now?

20 hours ago, RevGAM said:

So are you satisfied now?

I mean the temps are fine I guess. The spikes are weird, but maybe that's just AMD

3 hours ago, Mozametweakin said:

I mean the temps are fine I guess. The spikes are weird, but maybe that's just AMD

Ignore the spike jumps - that's just RYZEN being RYZEN.

I have a RYZEN 5 3600 and I also get spikes from 40s to 50s to 60s then they go back down in the low 50s and lower-mid 40s.

I've been told it's a common thing with RYZEN because that's how they work.

5 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

Ignore the spike jumps - that's just RYZEN being RYZEN.

No, its just weak cooling being weak cooling.  I am not saying it is the cooler, but could be a combination of things. Silence being a big one.

nothot.png.cc44982873624daf368760986e35e225.png

I have a RYZEN 5 3600 and I also get spikes from 40s to 50s to 60s then they go back down in the low 50s and lower-mid 40s.

Zen 2 sucks. It is not the same as Zen 3.

I've been told it's a common thing with RYZEN because that's how they work.

You have been told wrong.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

No, its just weak cooling being weak cooling.  I am not saying it is the cooler, but could be a combination of things. Silence being a big one.

nothot.png.cc44982873624daf368760986e35e225.png

Zen 2 sucks. It is not the same as Zen 3.

You have been told wrong.

So you gonna reinvent the Zen 2 CPUs ?

A'ight.

Pretty much everyone i know that has a RYZEN CPU and i even talked with 2 buddies of mine that do this for a living say that those spikes - that's normal RYZEN behavior.

I've literally searched for this like in the past months because i wasn't sure myself until my buddy who does this for a living said "dude just relax, you're searching for issues where you have none, that's how RYZENs work".

As for myself i never had beyond 70'C in gaming.

And no Zen 2 doesn't "suck" - at least not after throwing a lot other CPU intensive games at it - the CPU handling them like a champ. 💪

2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

A'ight.

Pretty much everyone i know that has a RYZEN CPU and i even talked with 2 buddies of mine that do this for a living say that those spikes - that's normal RYZEN behavior.

That’s pretty cool. I was able to run my 3600XT at a static 4500MHz on Le Grand Macho RT with no fan installed on the cooler and it was all load stable, including Linpack Xtreme. But even when I let it run with PBO it wasn’t spikey at all.

19 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That’s pretty cool. I was able to run my 3600XT at a static 4500MHz on Le Grand Macho RT with no fan installed on the cooler and it was all load stable, including Linpack Xtreme. But even when I let it run with PBO it wasn’t spikey at all.

As i understand it - from what a buddy told me, they tend to spike less when in full work loads.

For example he told me to test out AC Odyssey which is known for being CPU intensive - to test in windowed mode and with another program in parallel to see the actual temps and spikes in real time.

While i did for about 1 hour i actually found i had spikes at around 4-5 minute intervals and after exiting the game and just with firefox open when browsing, they were still there but every 10 seconds or so - according to him it's because pretty much every operation or task the CPU handles will make it "boost" no matter if it's heavy load or lighter load.

Apparently it's how AMD designed they're RYZEN models to work.

It would probably also explain why compared to the FX series with the Vishera architecture the MAX temp according to AMD differs

- RYZEN = 95'C

- FX = 70'C

On 9/30/2023 at 11:15 PM, Mozametweakin said:

there's a very noticeable click when tightening the screws, thats where u need to stop immediately! 

however 30c in bios suggests everything is normal.

you probably just misjudge the behavior,  if there's *anything* going on in the background 40-50c is quite normal, so i don't really see the issue?

SET higher fan curves if it bothers you 

profit??

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, freeagent said:

depends on the cooler mostly ig

stock = roller coaster rev up & down

noctua u12s = i don't even hear it (stays at around 500rpm most of the time)

20 hours ago, freeagent said:

You have been told wrong

nah, as per above,  majority of people experience(d) this, stock cooler or just bad cooling will do that, its how Ryzen is designed,  its what makes Ryzen good, it's very temperamental,  it wants to "go".

the issue arises only because people have no idea how to properly cool the thing, set fan curves, avoid heat build up, etc

(took me like 2 years to learn lol, the stock cooler is really ok, its just noisy and annoying af lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/2/2023 at 11:32 PM, Mozametweakin said:

On the x3d chips there is a lot more substrate for heat to pass through before it gets to the cooler. That means that little spikes in processing power lead to little spikes in temperature. Just the way those CPUs act. It’s like a mini heat traffic jam.

59 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

On the x3d chips there is a lot more substrate for heat to pass through before it gets to the cooler. That means that little spikes in processing power lead to little spikes in temperature. Just the way those CPUs act. It’s like a mini heat traffic jam.

Nah. If you have a good cooler then it runs like an old stock Intel chip, completely cool and manageable.