i'm a hypochondriac and that makes it almost impossible for me to play zombie games.

milflover69

hi everyone!

so, last night I downloaded Days Gone and started playing. as most of you know, it's not the most graphically impressive game, even though it looks decent, so I thought despite my phobia I'd be able to play it with no issues. at first everything was fine, but then the zombies started coming. i started feeling nauseous and I almost puked, the thought of being infected had that much of an effect on me. a couple of years ago, I literally had to get out of a cinema  while watching Zombieland 2 with friends because I just couldn't stand the horde scenes. it's really disheartening, as there are tons of games I'd love to play (The Last Of Us 1 and 2, Dying Light, Dead Island et cetera) but I just can't. i don't seem to have an issue with gore and/or violence, it's literally just zombies, I'm fine with any other genre. am I the only one? what should I do about this?

If you want to play these games and can't because of a phobia, best option is to seek therapy to best the phobia, or just avoid them to not trigger any episodes. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you want to play these games and can't because of a phobia, best option is to seek therapy to best the phobia, or just avoid them to not trigger any episodes. 

told my therapist already and he said you can only fix a phobia for things that arent actually scary, like clowns, holes or spiders. zombies are actually meant to be scary so i just need to "thug it out" apparently

20 minutes ago, milflover69 said:

told my therapist already and he said you can only fix a phobia for things that arent actually scary, like clowns, holes or spiders. zombies are actually meant to be scary so i just need to "thug it out" apparently

That's weird advice. But those things are also all real while zombies aren't. That can be a place to start.

32 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

That's weird advice. But those things are also all real while zombies aren't. That can be a place to start.

that actually makes sense now that i think about it. thank you!

10 hours ago, milflover69 said:

hi everyone!

so, last night I downloaded Days Gone and started playing. as most of you know, it's not the most graphically impressive game, even though it looks decent, so I thought despite my phobia I'd be able to play it with no issues. at first everything was fine, but then the zombies started coming. i started feeling nauseous and I almost puked, the thought of being infected had that much of an effect on me. a couple of years ago, I literally had to get out of a cinema  while watching Zombieland 2 with friends because I just couldn't stand the horde scenes. it's really disheartening, as there are tons of games I'd love to play (The Last Of Us 1 and 2, Dying Light, Dead Island et cetera) but I just can't. i don't seem to have an issue with gore and/or violence, it's literally just zombies, I'm fine with any other genre. am I the only one? what should I do about this?

If you want the real answer, you need to seek therapy for this condition, as it's entirely psychological. Depending on where you live, you might be able to access therapy through a medical practitioner. Otherwise you can look for local therapists that you would have to pay for.

2 hours ago, milflover69 said:

Hmm. You might need another therapist. I would legitimately suggest contacting another one for a second opinion on this issue specifically. At the very least, they should be trying to help you with coping mechanisms or routines that can help you "force yourself" to be exposed to the trigger.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, milflover69 said:

Your therapist is an idiot. Suggest you find a better one.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒