Monitor power cable adapter

robot_dj

Hi! so my old monitor power cable died and I got a new one from Samsung the problem is they forgot to give an power cord adapter for it so that it can be plugged into the wall. Samsung said that you shouldn't try to take the power cord adapter off from the old one. Communication with the customer help stopped after we told them that we need the power cord adapter too they responded to this with "we are still thinking".

Left one is the old one that is dead.

The one on the right is the new one that Samsung shipped to us as you can see the adapter is kinda weird its not USA or any other countries (im not sure).

What should I do is there an adapter for it that can be bought? should we wait for Samsung to respond?

IMG_0530.jpg

30 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

Hi! so my old monitor power cable died and I got a new one from Samsung the problem is they forgot to give an power cord adapter for it so that it can be plugged into the wall. Samsung said that you shouldn't try to take the power cord adapter off from the old one. Communication with the customer help stopped after we told them that we need the power cord adapter too they responded to this with "we are still thinking".

Left one is the old one that is dead.

The one on the right is the new one that Samsung shipped to us as you can see the adapter is kinda weird its not USA or any other countries (im not sure).

What should I do is there an adapter for it that can be bought? should we wait for Samsung to respond?

IMG_0530.jpg

The adapter they shipped to you seems to use a 20AMP plug / socket connector - very strange for a monitor.
20-Amp 120-Volt Outlet vs. 15-Amp 120-Volt Outlets

Adapters exist to convert 20AMP to 15AMP plugs, though you're on your own as to the safety of such adapters.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ac-works--15a-to-20a-125v-t-blade-adapter-ul-and-c-ul-approval/1001588730

image.png.2b7ce17844b8b019b49817015295bb9f.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I would think you could just get a new power adapter on amazon. But it also looks like those plugs can just be twisted out and swapped.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

19 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

I would think you could just get a new power adapter on amazon. But it also looks like those plugs can just be twisted out and swapped.

yes I thought you could just rip it off but Samsung advised not to do it yourself?? I might try to just twist it off.

19 minutes ago, kirashi said:

The adapter they shipped to you seems to use a 20AMP plug / socket connector - very strange for a monitor.

Adapters exist to convert 20AMP to 15AMP plugs, though you're on your own as to the safety of such adapters.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ac-works--15a-to-20a-125v-t-blade-adapter-ul-and-c-ul-approval/1001588730

Yes I thought it was weird to but it might be because the monitor is 240hz could be something to do with it. The cord is 48W/19V and that adapter that you linked looks like it could be something that I could use on it. Thank you!

1 minute ago, robot_dj said:

yes I thought you could just rip it off but Samsung advised not to do it yourself?? I might try to just twist it off

I just see the bump/notches on the old one and it looks like that's just to line them up but it usually indicates a "locked" position and should be able to twist them off, hopefully.

CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Just now, MrSimplicity said:

I just see the bump/notches on the old one and it looks like that's just to line them up but it usually indicates a "locked" position and should be able to twist them off, hopefully.

Yes also you can rotate it about 90 degrees so I thought that it could be kind of a locking mechanism? No luck twisting it off yet.

5 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

Yes also you can rotate it about 90 degrees so I thought that it could be kind of a locking mechanism? No luck twisting it off yet.

Then that might be all it is. just a way to shift the brick.

43 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I don't think it is. The distance between the 2 pins on the power brick is nowhere near like on the sockets you linked.

It's probably some proprietary bullshit designed to be used with adapter.
So that they can just make 1 power brick for the entire world, then send an adapter(s) along with it so it can cater to all kinds of socket type.

But unlike standard adapter, usually this kind of proprietary thing have some sort of locking mechanism (usually by rotating after plugging the adapter) so that it cannot be detached/get loose by accident. At least that's how it is with my ASUS router power brick.

I can't find a good pic of my asus router power brick, and too lazy to unplug mine just to take a pic.

Basically, this is what came in the box:

So, EU adapter, UK adapter, and US adapter.

IIRC the 2 pins on the power brick itself was basically just short studs that gets pressed and comes in contact with the pads on the adapter.

And yes, this might be a South-East Asia / Only Some part of the world thing too.

16 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

The old power brick already broken right?

So may as well just try stuffs that might detach the adapter.

Like pulling really hard, or twist 45 degrees then pull. etc

At worst you'll ruin it (not like you can still use it)

At best it'll come out and everything on it is intact.

Edited by Poinkachu

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I've also never seen that type of plug (the new one) on anything. Especially not on anything computer related. I would still either wait on Samsung or just look online for an adapter or a new power brick. Might I ask the model# of your monitor? maybe I can look around and see what I find.

Just now, MrSimplicity said:

I've also never seen that type of plug (you're old on) on anything. Especially not on anything computer related. I would still either wait on Samsung or just look online for an adapter or a new power brick. Might I ask the model# of your monitor? maybe I can look around and see what I find.

IMG_0413.thumb.jpg.419f85d8a33b9eaba0d4b661915d5236.jpg

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I don't think it is. The distance between the 2 pins on the power brick is nowhere near like on the sockets you linked.

It's probably some proprietary bullshit designed to be used with adapter.
So that they can just make 1 power brick for the entire world, then send an adapter(s) along with it so it can cater to all kinds of socket type.

But unlike standard adapter, usually this kind of proprietary thing have some sort of locking mechanism (usually by rotating after plugging the adapter) so that it cannot be detached/get loose by accident. At least that's how it is with my ASUS router power brick.

I can't find a good pic of my asus router power brick, and too lazy to unplug mine just to take a pic.

Basically, this is what came in the box:

So, EU adapter, UK adapter, and US adapter.

IIRC the 2 pins on the power brick itself was basically just short studs that gets pressed and comes in contact with the pads on the adapter.

And yes, this might be a South-East Asia / Only Some part of the world thing too.

The old power brick already broken right?

So may as well just try stuffs that might detach the adapter.

Like pulling really hard, or twist 45 degrees then pull. etc

At worst you'll ruin it (not like you can still use it)

At best it'll come out and everything on it is intact.

Yeah that's what I was thinking it doesn't really matter if I break it even more its already dead. I just gotta try a couple methods.
you can lift it a bit so you can see the 2 studs. You can't really forcefully pull it maybe twisting it could work.

2 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking it doesn't really matter if I break it even more its already dead. I just gotta try a couple methods.
you can lift it a bit so you can see the 2 studs. You can't really forcefully pull it maybe twisting it could work.

I'm guessing those 2 holes on the pins are part of the locking mechanism. Kinda like how US plug works (or used to).

So either there's a button / mechanism that you need to interact with to release it.

Or just need to pull hard.

But yup, that's just my guess. I could be wrong.

But yep, I am indeed quite a curious / inquisitive bastard too. 😅

So me personally, I'd try to unplug it at least for the sake of my curiosity / learning new stuff

image.png.e641000455b8e9c78251754aa0999bdd.png

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, Poinkachu said:

I'm guessing those 2 holes on the pins are part of the locking mechanism. Kinda like how US plug works (or used to).

So either there's a button / mechanism that you need to interact with to release it.

No buttons to be seen on the new one or the old one twisting only twists the brick and I pulled as hard as I could still nothing. Like you can't really pull it because its in the holes I think I need to twist it or push it off the holes

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

But yep, I am indeed quite a curious / inquisitive bastard too. 😅

So me personally, I'd try to unplug it at least for the sake of my curiosity / learning new stuff

I will get it out at somepoint only a matter of time and tools 😄

4 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

I will get it out at somepoint only a matter of time and tools 😄

Curious, what is this (the red circled one)

111.png

Refresh before you reply

https://www.partswindow.com/samsung-c27rg50-c27rg50fq-ac-adapter--p4714

doesn't look anything like what you got but it really only comes down to power output and whether or not the barrel connector is the same or not. If you got any tech store around you could potentially even pick up a universal AC adapter that will have multiple barrel connectors.

use 2 tools to lever it out of it. I did make some damage to it as you can see but yeah

2 minutes ago, robot_dj said:

GOT IT OUT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133484218604

Refresh before you reply

Now should I put it to the new one or do I get a new one? it got some damage but I think it'll work just fine one the new power adapter

I plugged it in and monitor is working perfectly thank you everybody for helping me yall just saved me like 3-9 months of waiting. Thank you so much!!!