Combination of HDR and Dolby Atmos results in no audio

In certain games, enabling both HDR and Dolby Atmos together results in no audio, and persists until reboot. I've only noticed this in The Crew: Motorfest and Remnant II, most other games work fine (i.e. Forza Horizon 5). Disabling HDR or Dolby Atmos prevents this from happening. I also have occasional short audio dropout in all games, but this seems to be a known issue with Nvidia GPUs.

Useful specs:

- GPU: RTX 3080, latest drivers

- Display (TV): Samsung S95C @4K 144Hz 10bit HDR (Lowering the refresh rate to reduce bandwidth doesn't help)

- Audio: Samsung Q930C (HDMI eARC soundbar + wireless sub + 2 satellite speakers)

My PC is connected to the TV via an HDMI 2.1 cable, and the soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI eARC.

Any help would be appreciated!

57 minutes ago, rmgdnz said:

In certain games, enabling both HDR and Dolby Atmos together results in no audio, and persists until reboot. I've only noticed this in The Crew: Motorfest and Remnant II, most other games work fine (i.e. Forza Horizon 5). Disabling HDR or Dolby Atmos prevents this from happening. I also have occasional short audio dropout in all games, but this seems to be a known issue with Nvidia GPUs.

Useful specs:

- GPU: RTX 3080, latest drivers

- Display (TV): Samsung S95C @4K 144Hz 10bit HDR (Lowering the refresh rate to reduce bandwidth doesn't help)

- Audio: Samsung Q930C (HDMI eARC soundbar + wireless sub + 2 satellite speakers)

My PC is connected to the TV via an HDMI 2.1 cable, and the soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI eARC.

Any help would be appreciated!

What Windows version are you on?  As I used to get drop outs all the time but they stopped about a year ago.  Though launching a game will occasionally cause corrupted audio requiring me to quit and re-launch the game.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

57 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What Windows version are you on?  As I used to get drop outs all the time but they stopped about a year ago.  Though launching a game will occasionally cause corrupted audio requiring me to quit and re-launch the game.

I'm on Windows 11 22H2.

image.png.fc4cbf2debfa8253657e474b3aed62e8.png

Also noticed that reconfiguring Dolby Atmos in control panel fixes the issue temporarily, but I have to do the same after reboot 😞

1 hour ago, rmgdnz said:

I'm on Windows 11 22H2.

image.png.fc4cbf2debfa8253657e474b3aed62e8.png

Also noticed that reconfiguring Dolby Atmos in control panel fixes the issue temporarily, but I have to do the same after reboot 😞

I fear this may be an eARC glitch, was lucky for me it fixed itself (possibly a firmware update on my TV) apart from that occasional glitch on game launch.

I could perhaps check Motorfest tomorrow to see if it glitches for me as I believe it has a free trial.  I know its The Crew 2 specifically that likes to cause the audio to fail sometimes, though its the game I play the most so could just be that its statistically more likely to happen on it.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I fear this may be an eARC glitch, was lucky for me it fixed itself (possibly a firmware update on my TV) apart from that occasional glitch on game launch.

I could perhaps check Motorfest tomorrow to see if it glitches for me as I believe it has a free trial.  I know its The Crew 2 specifically that likes to cause the audio to fail sometimes, though its the game I play the most so could just be that its statistically more likely to happen on it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! Meanwhile, I'm working on a script to automate configuring atmos every time I connect to my TV

8 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! Meanwhile, I'm working on a script to automate configuring atmos every time I connect to my TV

Well I'm sure they said there was a trial but I can't find one, perhaps it was an advert for Ubisoft+ that was misleading?  So sadly can't check as I tried the Beta and wasn't sold on the game so wont be getting it until its cheaper.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well I'm sure they said there was a trial but I can't find one, perhaps it was an advert for Ubisoft+ that was misleading?  So sadly can't check as I tried the Beta and wasn't sold on the game so wont be getting it until its cheaper.

Looks like it was only for the first few days after launch. Thanks anyway though!

4 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

Looks like it was only for the first few days after launch. Thanks anyway though!

That's really stupid, given a lot of us are busy with Starfield.