Weird artifacting on AW2723DF

Rainbrew
Go to solution Solved by Rainbrew,

In case anyone ever runs into this in the future, I managed to discover that the issue is with DSC specifically. Disabling it gets rid of the issue entirely, however then you can't run 240hz+HDR/10bit colour.

After doing some research over the weekend I found that I wasn't the only one experiencing these issues. I found a handful of reviews on Amazon describing similar artifacts to the one I had (even though the Dell technician I talked to claimed that they have never heard of such issues before). Additionally a user review on the website of the store I got it from popped up with the user describing going through 5 of these monitors, all of them with major defects (dead pixels, large patches of dust under the screen), before settling on one with the least amount of issues.

Overall I would not recommend this monitor despite the glowing reviews it receives unless you're willing to gamble with the QC and to potentially go through several returns.

I recently returned a Samsung G7 Odyssey due to having several issues with it and got an Alienware AW2723DF instead.

I was thrilled with the monitor (minus the IPS glow from the corners which seems to be slowly receding) for about a week when two days ago I noticed that weird horizontal white lines would appear randomly in Windows/games. The lines were extremely thin and about 5cm in width and would move around the whole screen. Unplugging the displayport cable on either the monitor or GPU and plugging it back in fixed the issue so I figured the included cable was bad and ordered a different one.

Yesterday the problem developed with extremely weird green artifacts appearing before entering either the BIOS or Windows. I have tried two different DP cables and both had this issue, all DP outputs on my 4080 (no difference), and HDMI which actually didn't have this problem. I have factory reset the monitor several times and done a clean driver install with DDU to no avail.

Once the new cable arrives today I'll try it out to see if it's a matter of the DP connector on the monitor being bad or hopefully just the cable. I'm still well within the return period and will ask for a replacement.

My question is if anyone has any idea what I'm looking at with these? Why is it green of all colours? The videos are at 1/4 speed. The weird square artifact one appears when entering the BIOS and the green vertical bar one pops up before the main Windows login screen.

In case anyone ever runs into this in the future, I managed to discover that the issue is with DSC specifically. Disabling it gets rid of the issue entirely, however then you can't run 240hz+HDR/10bit colour.

After doing some research over the weekend I found that I wasn't the only one experiencing these issues. I found a handful of reviews on Amazon describing similar artifacts to the one I had (even though the Dell technician I talked to claimed that they have never heard of such issues before). Additionally a user review on the website of the store I got it from popped up with the user describing going through 5 of these monitors, all of them with major defects (dead pixels, large patches of dust under the screen), before settling on one with the least amount of issues.

Overall I would not recommend this monitor despite the glowing reviews it receives unless you're willing to gamble with the QC and to potentially go through several returns.