NVME M.2 Identification

Hi Everybody

I have recently purchased 2 m.2 drives that are exactly the same capacity from the same manufacturer. They are installed into an old B360 motherboard. One drive is a boot drive, the other is storage.

I will be upgrading the motherboard to a B550. The new motherboard has dual M.2 Connectors and I want to make sure that I install the boot drive into the right M.2 connector.

Is there a way to identify the boot drive with information from the computer that can then be checked against the physical drive (e.g. a serial number)

Thanks

Just put the one that's the boot drive in and leave the other out, set as boot priority, then put the other one that isn't the boot drive in

Unfortunately, that's the problem, I don't know which is the boot drive. When I installed the 2 new drives they were just for storage. I then changed one to a boot drive and got a fresh install of Windows. I do not want to work the problem out by removing one drive and then seeing what happens if I don't have to

Use something like crystal disk info to see the serial number on the boot drive. That should also be printed on the drive.

And the boot drive can be in any slot, and it really won't matter performance wise.

10 minutes ago, Brats00 said:

I don't know which is the boot drive.

if you go into the UEFI and go to the boot screen, you should be able to see which one it is.  You can also create a live usb of something like https://gparted.org/.   in the gparted program there's a drop down on menu on the top right.   Select the drive and you should see partitions similar to my screenshot.  Remove a drive then refresh to see if its still there or not.

gparted.png

from what I can see on the specs of my motherboard one of the m.2 connectors runs through the chipset the other is direct to the CPU. I was under the impression that that would mean a difference in performance between the two. Or, would the performance be negligible

6 minutes ago, Brats00 said:

from what I can see on the specs of my motherboard one of the m.2 connectors runs through the chipset the other is direct to the CPU. I was under the impression that that would mean a difference in performance between the two. Or, would the performance be negligible

The performance differenc eis negligible. You won't notice the different in almost all applications. I'd just put the drives in.

If you remove one and don’t have Windows anymore, you know which one has Windows on it. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?