Real life idle consumption of EPYC?

RasmusDC

i live in a VERY expensive place for electricity but running a 24/7 server, currently a Xeon 2680V4 (14/28) cpu with 128gb ram and 8 Harddrives and a bit of SSD + 10GBE..

it runs on an "Hunanzhi" board, and i NEED more PCI-E, the board is MAXED, and have been fighting getting proper IOMMU passthrough of my 3060 12GB to transcode Plex, on one of my VM´s in a proxmox enviroment..

and just plain tired, i do use most of what i have of ressources, since i am running 5 24/7 VM´s and the Truenas one does eat the 64GB og memory...

So have been looking at LOT at these cheap 7551P Epyc + board bundles, with PROPER name brand boards, Asrock, Gigabyte or other... but they say 100watt idle consumption...

My currentsetup is around 91-100watt when just in a semi idle state, but with HDD sleeping. how bad are these Epyc´s Running EU power, so more efficiency and a RM750 i think it is a gold PSU

15 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

i live in a VERY expensive place for electricity but running a 24/7 server, currently a Xeon 2680V4 (14/28) cpu with 128gb ram and 8 Harddrives and a bit of SSD + 10GBE..

it runs on an "Hunanzhi" board, and i NEED more PCI-E, the board is MAXED, and have been fighting getting proper IOMMU passthrough of my 3060 12GB to transcode Plex, on one of my VM´s in a proxmox enviroment..

and just plain tired, i do use most of what i have of ressources, since i am running 5 24/7 VM´s and the Truenas one does eat the 64GB og memory...

So have been looking at LOT at these cheap 7551P Epyc + board bundles, with PROPER name brand boards, Asrock, Gigabyte or other... but they say 100watt idle consumption...

My currentsetup is around 91-100watt when just in a semi idle state, but with HDD sleeping. how bad are these Epyc´s Running EU power, so more efficiency and a RM750 i think it is a gold PSU

This is one reason I don't like VMs, you might not even need a dGPU if you got a Ryzen 7000 as I believe the iGPU has the full suite of video encoders/decoders, but they're not going to pass through to a VM.

Running things in VMs is inherently less power efficient than bare metal.  Most dGPUs will suck 20W or more simply idling.  I see claims of 8W idle power for the 3060 but frankly I don't believe that, I've always had a hard time getting GPU consumption down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

i've got an epyc 7313P with 64GB RAM on a supermicro H12SSL-i, and it's around 80-90-ish watts at idle also counting in the two potato level GPU's and the quad-controller USB card for IOMMO.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is one reason I don't like VMs, you might not even need a dGPU if you got a Ryzen 7000 as I believe the iGPU has the full suite of video encoders/decoders, but they're not going to pass through to a VM.

Running things in VMs is inherently less power efficient than bare metal.  Most dGPUs will suck 20W or more simply idling.

but running it in a VM is largely irrelevant to the power efficiency. OP could passtrough the iGPU just the same.

Just now, manikyath said:

i've got an epyc 7313P with 64GB RAM on a supermicro H12SSL-i, and it's around 80-90-ish watts at idle also counting in the two potato level GPU's and the quad-controller USB card for IOMMO.

but running it in a VM is largely irrelevant to the power efficiency. OP could passtrough the iGPU just the same.

In theory yes, but then you have no video output for the host OS and I'm not sure if the IOMMU is even configured to do that.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

In theory yes, but then you have no video output for the host OS and I'm not sure if the IOMMU is even configured to do that.

you dont need video output for the host OS, apparently. this was relatively recent news to me as well.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you dont need video output for the host OS, apparently. this was relatively recent news to me as well.

Need is relative, it might work without it but it can make emergency maintenance more of a PITA unless your motherboard has hardware remote management.  Which I suppose most server-grade boards would have, but typical Ryzen 7000 boards would not.

52 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

you can run it Headless, i run my Proxmox headless, in that wierd config it is running today, since the Xeon has no iGPU, however, my need is PCI-E expansion.

and proper passtrough, the ability for me to run multiple vm´s has just been godsend for some of the stuff i have to do at times.  and my Proxmox enviroment is an older setup, that to be honest, i just don´t want to mess with, and the only VM i actually need acceleration for is a Linux / Plex server. since it is fairly powerhungry to run multiple 4K streams of pure GPU, the Xeon "can do" 2... so it fits well with us in the home.

The home automation don´t eat up a lot, the Truenas does, and i would like to give it more, have 1TB of ECC ram ready from a Data center teardown, currently the Xeon i have is just running 8 sticks of DDR4 2666 modules..

but if it runs the same idle as my Xeon, i don´t really care. the 300-400 Euro for such an upgrade is CHEAP.