Is it safe to change the 6-pin on my gpu into a 8-pin?

Zuruox
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

That would simply increase the power available to the GPU from 150w + 75w to 150w + 150w. On it's own that would do nothing. The GPU will draw as much power as it needs, no matter how much is available. It could, theoretically, allow for higher overclocks that draw more power. Question is if you could get that to run stable without additional cooling etc.

So I have a RX 5700XT, and it only has a 8-pin and a 6-pin power connector on the GPU. So is it possible to swap the 6-pin into an 8-pin connector? Cuz there are 2 unused solder pads on the board itself.

That would simply increase the power available to the GPU from 150w + 75w to 150w + 150w. On it's own that would do nothing. The GPU will draw as much power as it needs, no matter how much is available. It could, theoretically, allow for higher overclocks that draw more power. Question is if you could get that to run stable without additional cooling etc.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Well I guess it would simply be useless if I were to solder an 8-pin into that huh. Anyways thanks for the help guys

That the solder pads are there, does NOT mean the rest of the needed components are on the board also.
Best case scenario, those pads arent even connected due to missing components.

So NO, do not try, unless you dont care about losing the card.

But i dont make or repair graphics cards, this is more from my general electronics knowledge.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!