I'm ready to ditch MSI Afterburner... What to use?

Sarra
Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

All AMD, Ryzen CPU RX 6800XT GPU, Windows 10.

I recall someone on YouTube mentioning an Intel or Microsoft based monitoring utility, but I cannot find it.

Going to just use the AMD driver for the undervolt and fan control.

I have no RGB in this system, except on the GPU logo, and I have no desire for it to be anything but a single, solid color, so I don't need RGB software built in to a monitor.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I haven't used anything since initially setting up and testing my system (5800x3D | 7900XTX). I just use the AMD driver software to undervolt my card and call it a day. I haven't even touched my CPU because I don't really feel the need. Outside of testing or just having fun fudging numbers, I don't really think an external software is all that necessary these days. Just my jayztwocents

fraps

evga x1

steam (fps counter only)

the options are quite limited tbf.

what's wrong with msi ab?  i think i heard its discontinued,  but im not sure, and not really following...

but i bet it keeps getting developed anyways,  i can't imagine playing on pc without msi afterburner tbh, its just so useful! 

Nvidia doesn't even have an undervolt utility afaik, their nvidia "performance overlay" is utter buggy bull crap... 

hwinfo64 has an excellent overlay, but not overclocking utility and it also uses..........  msi afterburner / rtss, so yeah. did i mention how limited the options are here?  because no one bothered with an alternative,  except EVGA, because afterburner is just that good, it cannot be topped. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

Going to just use the AMD driver for the undervolt and fan control.

well if you just want an overlay,  fraps, steam, evga x1 as mentioned,  but i think the latter only works with nvidia cards (unlike msi afterburner which works with amd and nvidia) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

fraps

evga x1

steam (fps counter only)

the options are quite limited tbf.

what's wrong with msi ab?  i think i heard its discontinued,  but im not sure, and not really following...

but i bet it keeps getting developed anyways,  i can't imagine playing on pc without msi afterburner tbh, its just so useful! 

Nvidia doesn't even have an undervolt utility afaik, their nvidia "performance overlay" is utter buggy bull crap... 

hwinfo64 has an excellent overlay, but not overclocking utility and it also uses..........  msi afterburner / rtss, so yeah. did i mention how limited the options are here?  because no one bothered with an alternative,  except EVGA, because afterburner is just that good, it cannot be topped. 

EVGA development is dead so I would not move towards that. 

Didnt asus have a their own skin of rtss?

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

EVGA development is dead so I would not move towards that. 

Didnt asus have a their own skin of rtss?

oh yeah, ik its dead - but it still works! 

i think they did, wasn't well received tho (buggy)

ps: x1 is even on steam!

think it integrates with xbox overlay  not sure, reviews aren't great tho iirc, so standalone would probably be preferable (for nv gpus) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just use Radeon overlay? 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 hours ago, adm0n said:

Yes, yes, I did. I have no idea why it NEVER came up in any search I did, thanks Google. >_>

Edit: I totally forgot the actual important part here: Thank you!

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

MSI Afterburner was created as a spiritual successor to RivaTuner, IIRC, and was sponsored by MSI. As in the motherboard manufacturer. MSI owns the copyright for MSI Afterburner, and the creator is a Russian. Due to political stuff, MSI was unable to pay the person making the software, and after things... Didn't get better (?), they decided to end the partnership. This is super simplified, and might be slightly incorrect...

The person that made MSI Afterburner may start working on RivaTuner again. Or something else, that's similar and based on it. RTSS being somewhat closely tied to MSI Afterburner is because RTSS was also made and maintained by the same person, but MSI didn't have any involvement in that.

2 hours ago, Sarra said:

Yes, yes, I did. I have no idea why it NEVER came up in any search I did, thanks Google. >_>

Edit: I totally forgot the actual important part here: Thank you!

MSI Afterburner was created as a spiritual successor to RivaTuner, IIRC, and was sponsored by MSI. As in the motherboard manufacturer. MSI owns the copyright for MSI Afterburner, and the creator is a Russian. Due to political stuff, MSI was unable to pay the person making the software, and after things... Didn't get better (?), they decided to end the partnership. This is super simplified, and might be slightly incorrect...

The person that made MSI Afterburner may start working on RivaTuner again. Or something else, that's similar and based on it. RTSS being somewhat closely tied to MSI Afterburner is because RTSS was also made and maintained by the same person, but MSI didn't have any involvement in that.

hmm yeah, that's what i thought, that doesn't mean you can't use it though? 

that said, i get it, finding viable alternatives is a good idea, its just, i don't think there are any? not with a similarly fleshed out feature set.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

hmm yeah, that's what i thought, that doesn't mean you can't use it though?

Oh! I forgot an important bit.

Afterburner seems to be corrupting something in the AMD graphics driver. Every time I DDU and install a GPU driver, as soon as I run Afterburner, the driver refuses to run giving a 'version mismatch' error. Doesn't happen if I disable or uninstall Afterburner.

Funny thing is that I'm moving over to Linux. The gaming box I am using right now is going to be my last Windows PC.

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Oh! I forgot an important bit.

Afterburner seems to be corrupting something in the AMD graphics driver. Every time I DDU and install a GPU driver, as soon as I run Afterburner, the driver refuses to run giving a 'version mismatch' error. Doesn't happen if I disable or uninstall Afterburner.

Funny thing is that I'm moving over to Linux. The gaming box I am using right now is going to be my last Windows PC.

i mean if afterburner doesn't get updated anymore (??) there'll surely be more issues down the line.... realistically it needs to be updated like once a year for new apis, drivers and whatnot...

Also cant use it with OW, the game just keeps crashing randomly,  doesn't happen *at all* when afterburner isnt running...

But im curious does intel presentmon actually have an overlay?  from the pictures it looks more like an analytics tool.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Question really is what does MSI afterburner do that Adrenaline cant? 

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

14 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Question really is what does MSI afterburner do that Adrenaline cant? 

MSI AB was a familiar program for me. I've been using it since I first got my GTX 980, and when I first got my 6800XT, the Adrenaline drivers were pretty wonky, and didn't work with undevolting at all, while Afterburner did. That's fixed now, obviously. Afterburner also let me monitor my GPU, CPU, Memory, and UPS, and put those stats up on screen. I'm sure Adrenaline will let me display CPU temp, but I'm pretty sure it's incapable of monitoring my UPS loads. o.O

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean if afterburner doesn't get updated anymore (??) there'll surely be more issues down the line.... realistically it needs to be updated like once a year for new apis, drivers and whatnot...

Also cant use it with OW, the game just keeps crashing randomly,  doesn't happen *at all* when afterburner isnt running...

But im curious does intel presentmon actually have an overlay?  from the pictures it looks more like an analytics tool.

I'm seeing the writing on the wall, and either the original creator will revive RivaTuner, or start a new project and MSI AB will become abandonware.

I think Presentmon actually does have an overlay, I recall a creator saying there was a module for it, maybe it was Wendel from Level1? I'm going to set a day aside this week where I do surgery on my Windows box and remove MSI Afterburner, DDU my driver, update to the newest driver version, get Presentmon running, and maybe I'll look into RTSS if Presentmon doesn't have an easily utilized OSD.

MSI was able to make an agreement with Unwinder, there have been updates since the whole fiasco.

There really isn't any other option out there.

12 hours ago, Slizzo said:

MSI was able to make an agreement with Unwinder, there have been updates since the whole fiasco.

There really isn't any other option out there.

Mmm, that is good to know.

Still want to switch, though. I'll give a few other things a shot... I'm ultimately switching to Linux, anyway, so it's somewhat moot, anyway.