How do I adjust AOC monitor brightness in Ubuntu

Go to solution Solved by Bonk Cypher,

Thank you for your suggestion @E-waste on how to adjust colour settings via the OS.  I have managed to find a solution for adjusting brightness via the OS which integrates with GNOME quite nicely, and works with Wayland.

The AOC monitor buttons are just annoying to use because you can't see the buttons, and have to blindly adjust settings.  It's much more convenient to adjust brightness via the OS.

Anyway, the solution I found was to download the Brightness control using ddcutil GNOME extension.  This this to work, you'll need to also follow the instructions on their GitHub page as well, to setup ddcutil

Is there anyway I can adjust the brightness and colour management of my AOC monitor in Ubuntu, like how I used to with i-menu when running Windows?

I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find anything for adjust brightness in Ubuntu that has worked so far.

I am running Ubuntu 22.04 with Wayland .

4 hours ago, Bonk Cypher said:

Is there anyway I can adjust the brightness and colour management of my AOC monitor in Ubuntu

Most likely not.  What is so aggravating by just simply finding which physical hardware monitor button is dedicated to the backlight adjustment, and using the key for down?  Seriously, it shouldn't be OS specific, just use the monitor buttons, it should take two, or three clicks, and the third click, just hold it down, or up.

Simple.

I would like to recommen

redshift.

Redshift will not work with wayland, use gnome night light or kde night light settings.

https://github.com/jonls/redshift

Install it and use

redshift -t 6500:3300

you may need to use the -l

and use -## : ## for lat and longitude numbers.

redshift -t 6500:3300 -l 75:34

depending on your location.  It uses Geoclue, but I like to modify the color settings.  It helps reduce monitor brightness as well as significantly reduce blue light, helping simulate a sunset or candle light, vs a daylight, cloud white display.

3200 is like a very bright halogen (500 watt) bulb, in terms of yellow tone.  4100 is moonlight, or specifically, sunlight reflected from the moon, 2700 is incandescent 60w bulb, 1900 is candle, and 1750 is a wood fire.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your suggestion @E-waste on how to adjust colour settings via the OS.  I have managed to find a solution for adjusting brightness via the OS which integrates with GNOME quite nicely, and works with Wayland.

The AOC monitor buttons are just annoying to use because you can't see the buttons, and have to blindly adjust settings.  It's much more convenient to adjust brightness via the OS.

Anyway, the solution I found was to download the Brightness control using ddcutil GNOME extension.  This this to work, you'll need to also follow the instructions on their GitHub page as well, to setup ddcutil