Rendering on a Core 2 quad or laptop i7

Hey there guys,

So I got back in the YouTubing again (using Sony Vegas) and now I have my laptop which has an Intel Core i7 3630QM in it and I use this PC ATM.

Since that it is a laptop CPU I am not sure how powerfull it is. Will my render times be shorter with my Intel Core 2 Quad clocked at 2.7GHZ or should I just stick with my laptop?

Let me know!

PC: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.3GHZ | Corsair H100i | ASUS ROG Maximus IV Hero | ASUS R9 280X DCII TOP 3GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHZ | Samsung Evo 250GB | 2TB Seagate Baracudda | Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

HHHHOOOOOOOOO NNNOOOOO. Laptop. that i7 shits all over the Core 2 Quad. Just keep it plugged in and as cool as possible. 

I budget build well. Want to learn? PM me if you want advice. 

HHHHOOOOOOOOO NNNOOOOO. Laptop. that i7 shits all over the Core 2 Quad. Just keep it plugged in and as cool as possible. 

Might get one of those laptop cooling tables.

The Core Quad is more Home NAS material? 

PC: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.3GHZ | Corsair H100i | ASUS ROG Maximus IV Hero | ASUS R9 280X DCII TOP 3GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHZ | Samsung Evo 250GB | 2TB Seagate Baracudda | Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

The i7 would destroy that Core2Quad

Stick with the laptop. It's MUCH more powerful than a Core2 Quad, maybe even twice as much. Look at the passmark score for the i7-3630qm, and then look at some Core2 Quads, like the Q9400 or something: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3630QM+%40+2.40GHz

And: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q9400+%40+2.66GHz&id=1045

I chose the Q9400 arbitrarily, because it has a clock speed close to 2.7 GHz.

@MrFluffyPants

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Yeah it will do the job as a NAS.

Quote me to get a reply!

Pretty much anything can run NAS stuff, so yea. 

Which system has more RAM?

I budget build well. Want to learn? PM me if you want advice. 

The Core 2 Quad would be amazing for running a Home NAS off of. I currently run a Web-server and a SAMBA server (NAS on a Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz with PLENTY of power to spare :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

The i7 would destroy that Core2Quad

I already had the feeling. Was just wondering :P

The CPU in the laptop is better.

However do they both have dedicated GPU's and are you using software that can take advantage of OpenCL or CUDA.

Pretty much anything can run NAS stuff, so yea. 

Which system has more RAM?

Laptop has more RAM aswell :P

The CPU in the laptop is better.

However do they both have dedicated GPU's and are you using software that can take advantage of OpenCL or CUDA.

Laptop has a GeForce GT750M and Desktop dedicated so yeah xD

The Core 2 Quad would be amazing for running a Home NAS off of. I currently run a Web-server and a SAMBA server (NAS on a Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz with PLENTY of power to spare :)

What is good NAS software to run on it then?

Used it with Windows 8 as a NAS but rather have a different OS

Laptop has a GeForce GT750M and Desktop dedicated so yeah xD

Than hands down the laptop. Especially since you said it has more RAM.

This thread..it's like comparing a microwave frozen dinner to a steak fresh off the grill. Core 2 anythings are painfully outdated now vs i7's and i5's.

This thread..it's like comparing a microwave frozen dinner to a steak fresh off the grill. Core 2 anythings are painfully outdated now vs i7's and i5's.

I know I am one hell of a derp xD.

What is good NAS software to run on it then?

Used it with Windows 8 as a NAS but rather have a different OS

FreeNAS if your up for setting it up (Quite complicated but lots of features) or Ubuntu Server with SAMBA server installed is what I use and is quite simple to configure :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M