A keyboard that you can fully customize on Linux that's just as good or better than System76's Launch, and a very slim wireless mechanical keyboard?

I really wanted to get the System76's Launch keyboard, but it's unreasonably expensive as someone who lives at the hat of America.

Is there an alternative that is

• Fully customizable on Linux
  • Reasonably priced
  • Macro keys (preferable)
  • Can save settings to firmware (preferable)
  • multiple profiles
  • wireless option (optional)

Also, I'm looking for one that's the same requirements as above, but also:

• low profile
  • wireless with 2.4GHz dongle
  • 65-75%
  • bluetooth option
  • lightweight

Has to be compact as I'm planning on making this my Steam Deck's keyboard that I can bring with me.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

28 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Fully customizable on Linux

28 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Can save settings to firmware (preferable)

Care to elaborate?
What kind of customization and settings are you looking to get.

I'm using Redragon Vata K580 RGB on Linux/Windows (dual boot) and macOS (kvm).
RGB settings and macro keys persist regardless of the OS (saved on the KB itself), configuration can be done without any software.
It works just fine, build quality and feel are ok IMO, has hot-swappable (OUTEMU) switches.

50$ when on sale.

What you don't get is different profiles, the ability to remap keys (on fw level) or have multiple layers, SuperSpeed 4 Port Hub.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

31 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

What kind of customization and settings are you looking to get.

Essentially, I'm looking for something where I'd be able to use macro settings, customize the actions, multiple profile settings, etc.

For example, System76's configuration tool can also customize layers (i.e. what happens when you do Fn+key).

31 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

configuration can be done without any software.

while that would be a great addition, I'd still prefer to customize with an app.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

Mobile devices

First question: What makes the Launch Keyboard "good" for you? Other than the firmware customization options?

Like, what size, layout etc.?

Second question:

What is "reasonably priced"? For custom keyboards or fancier prebuilds of similar build quality (by the look of it) and features this seems not too outlandish in terms of price.

A full metal keyboard with QMK/VIA with wireless connectivity from keychron will also cost around ~200$ or more already. https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q6-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40522074259545

4 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

First question: What makes the Launch Keyboard "good" for you? Other than the firmware customization options?

That was pretty much it.  Just wanted a keyboard where Linux feels like a first class citizen, not an afterthought.

I checked out that keyboard.  Can VIA only be used from the web?

Desktop

Mobile devices

24 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

That was pretty much it.  Just wanted a keyboard where Linux feels like a first class citizen, not an afterthought.

There is a downloadable version on Github.

https://github.com/the-via/releases/releases

:)

37 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Looks like someone on the Level1 forums also had this question: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/help-install-qmk-firmware-configure-tool-boxs-for-linux-pop-os/180898

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/docs/newbs_getting_started.md

AFAIK there should be local versions of software that can interface with QMK as well, VIA in a browser is just convenient for most.

39 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

OK, but what is a reasonable price for you now? Because QMK/VIA is available on a lot of cheaper boards as well, e.g. the V and K pro series of keychron.

7 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

OK, but what is a reasonable price for you now? Because QMK/VIA is available on a lot of cheaper boards as well, e.g. the V and K pro series of keychron.

would you believe me if I said < $300 CAD is "reasonable"?

System76 Launch Keyboard will bring me to 2x as much, not including imports.

Desktop

Mobile devices

29 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

would you believe me if I said < $300 CAD is "reasonable"?

Yes, of course I would believe you. But that is also why I ask: "reasonable" depends on circumstances and requirements, what is reasonable for one might be ridiculous for someone else.

Don't know about import costs/taxes situation with Canada, but for sub 300CAD you should be able to find something with QMK/VIA.

Let's stay with Keychron for a while (their shop is convenient for this) but keep in mind that in the custom space there are tons of equally good options. Especially if you don't mind a bit of "assembly required" (putting in switches and keycaps, not soldering).

• A V6 (full size, wired only, plastic case but good quality) will cost you 88-100 CAD in the barebone version. 125 CAD for the pre-build version, but lets say you want to mimic the premium experience of the System 76 a bit more but don't care about a metal case.
  • Next you need switches, the Kailh Box switches are around 50 CAD for a set, though the fancier types go up to 100 CAD per set
  • You obviously need keycaps as well, so you go with something good but not over the top:
    • double shot ABS set, retro color scheme, OEM profile: 35CAD
    • double shot PBT set, white on black, cherry profile: 58 CAD
    • double shot PBT, white on black (or other colors available), KSA profile: 50 CAD

Total would be for a custom V6 + switches + caps: 100+~50+~50 = ~200 CAD in the shop, plus whatever taxes/shipping you have over there. Note that this is from keychron.ca, so there should be not much extra like imports.

A metal version would be the Q6 (wired only) or Q6 pro (with wires), there the price is ~250 CAD for the barebones kit or ~280 CAD for the fully assembled version (a steal considering that one comes with the double shot PBT KSA, that alone go for 50 CAD).

So <300 CAD is reasonable for a nice keyboard that is open source (QMK) and can be fully taken apart/customized.

If you don't need a full-size board and would be happy with TKL or smaller, then this opens up a lot more options as most custom barebones are TKL or something between 60% and 75%. You will need to buy switches/caps separately, but there are plenty of options (most will include some form of international shipping though).

14 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Next you need switches, the Kailh Box switches are around 50 CAD for a set, though the fancier types go up to 100 CAD per set

If I were to go with the ones from Keychron, how do they compare against Kailh or Cherry?

14 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

You obviously need keycaps as well

I have ones that I bought a while back (Megumin-themed)

Thanks for the detailed reply.  This one greatly appreciates it.

I'm pretty torn between the frosted look of V6 and the metallic Q6 (Pro/non-Pro).  Either I want the frosted body or the metallic...

At the very least, wish Q6 in Black is available

Desktop

Mobile devices

2 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

If I were to go with the ones from Keychron, how do they compare against Kailh or Cherry?

You can get Kailh, Gateron and I believe even some Cherry switches in their shop. Overall there are no huge differences between the switches in terms of quality anymore, if anything Gateron (which also makes the switches for Keychron) and other "clone" manufacturers have overtaken Cherry in terms of quality by now.

Overall I would say many people regard Cherry more as average rather than leading the industry in quality nowadays. Lots of development and innovation took place in the past years, with many new designs and variations in switch technology making it to market. Especially in terms of factory lubing there have been some advancements in some places, so lubing by hand is seen as less and less of a requirement (if it ever really was).

I'm pretty torn between the frosted look of V6 and the metallic Q6 (Pro/non-Pro).  Either I want the frosted body or the metallic...

One thing I might want to point out, the metallic body is really, really heavy. Like, ~2.5kg heavy, and thick (compared to the Launch keyboard that is). So if you plan on moving that board around a lot (e.g. commuting) or prefer slimmer keyboards, be aware of this. 

Google 'QMK keyboard'. QMK is probably the most known customizable firmware. You will find anything from cheap DIY to $$$ kbs.

From the top of my head: Kinesis (proprietary firmware), OLKB, Keychron, Obinslab

On 9/17/2023 at 12:33 AM, rikitikitavi said:

Obinslab

this caught my eye especially their Obinkit.

Does it only work with their keyboards?

are they using the same firmware as Keychron?

On 9/15/2023 at 3:59 AM, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Overall I would say many people regard Cherry more as average rather than leading the industry in quality nowadays. Lots of development and innovation took place in the past years, with many new designs and variations in switch technology making it to market. Especially in terms of factory lubing there have been some advancements in some places, so lubing by hand is seen as less and less of a requirement (if it ever really was).

I just bought the V6 with stock Keychron Pro Red switches (Amazon Prime + lack of price difference) It feels A LOT better than my Cherry Red MK750.

------------------------

Also, I'm looking for one that's the same requirements as above, but also:

• low profile
  • wireless with 2.4GHz dongle
  • 65-75%
  • bluetooth option

Has to be compact as I'm planning on making this my Steam Deck's keyboard.

Keychron appears to only have Bluetooth.  How well does it work, and are the keyboards still customizable with just Bluetooth?

Desktop

Mobile devices

On 9/23/2023 at 2:16 AM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Keychron appears to only have Bluetooth.  How well does it work, and are the keyboards still customizable with just Bluetooth?

I think they should still be customizable with BT, though I never tested that.

However, the Nuphy Air 75 V2 now appears to come with QMK/VIA and should tick all the boxes. 

Downside is that it's a new release and you'll have to wait/preorder the V2 (it's predecessor should still be available, but no QMK/VIA there).

https://nuphy.com/collections/keyboards/products/air75-v2

3 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

However, the Nuphy Air 75 V2 now appears to come with QMK/VIA and should tick all the boxes. 

Downside is that it's a new release and you'll have to wait/preorder the V2 (it's predecessor should still be available, but no QMK/VIA there).

https://nuphy.com/collections/keyboards/products/air75-v2

It looks good! I see that

New Orders: Shipping will begin on Oct. 20th.

Does that mean it should be available in Amazon (Canada) on that day or slightly later?

Is it possible to convert the OG to QMK?

Desktop

Mobile devices

Does that mean it should be available in Amazon (Canada) on that day or slightly later?

Is it possible to convert the OG to QMK?

No idea about amazon, and I don't think you can convert the keyboard easily. I don't know much about the deep technical stuff here, but I would assume you'd have to write new firmware to the device (firmware you'd have to create based on QMK for the specific hardware).