Removing the radiator from an AIO cooler?

Hi I have an old cooler master aio (this one https://www.coolermaster.com/uk/en-gb/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-240/?#!). It's never going to be used again and right now I need a radiator for something DIY Im doing. Instead of buying a new radiator off amazon for a lot of money I thought maybe instead theres a way I can remove the tubing from this one to salvage it? I've never done it though so I wanted to know if its even possible?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

Hi I have an old cooler master aio (this one https://www.coolermaster.com/uk/en-gb/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-240/?#!). It's never going to be used again and right now I need a radiator for something DIY Im doing. Instead of buying a new radiator off amazon for a lot of money I thought maybe instead theres a way I can remove the tubing from this one to salvage it? I've never done it though so I wanted to know if its even possible?

Thanks

Anything is possible!  It might not be as easy as working on a seperate radiator that is not connected to an AIO but I dont see why it would be much of a problem.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Anything is possible!  It might not be as easy as working on a seperate radiator that is not connected to an AIO but I dont see why it would be much of a problem.

Nice thanks. Would I have to cut through the tubing? And Im assuming Id have to fully drain the coolant before cutting anything. Im also kind of concerned about the hole diameter as it might not be the standard size as its an aio not meant to have other tubing connected.

It's an aluminium radiator so it might not be appropriate for all usecases

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's an aluminium radiator so it might not be appropriate for all usecases

I plan to use it as an air cooler. It looks like a fun little thing to do for really cheap and apparently it works great. You use a submerisble pump to pump ice water through it and it's repurposed to cool. It should work fine for that use case.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:30 AM, Britishblue said:

I plan to use it as an air cooler. It looks like a fun little thing to do for really cheap and apparently it works great. You use a submerisble pump to pump ice water through it and it's repurposed to cool. It should work fine for that use case.

aluminum dose not like water... the cost of additive will most likely cost more then a copper rad... 🤷‍♂️

pumps mostly dont last more then 6- year from what i heard people atemp this.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

aluminum dose not like water... the cost of additive will most likely cost more then a copper rad... 🤷‍♂️

I actually got it working. It cools really really well. Are you saying there could be bad effects as the radiator might not like water? It seems to be working really well rn.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Britishblue said:

I actually got it working. It cools really really well. Are you saying there could be bad effects as the radiator might not like water? It seems to be working really well rn.

Thanks

using a mix metal setup you need an additive to prevent growth. even if your using all copper loop its a good idea to still have it.

if your really cheap you can probly use antifreeze.

didn't say it was not going to work or cool...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 9:17 AM, thrasher_565 said:

What? Since when does aluminum not like water? Explain please.