PS5 Disc Drive makes clicking noises when inserting scratched PS4 discs

yungfuji16

Hey!

I recently bought some used PS4 games for my PS5 from the local pawnshop and I noticed that when they are sitting in the disc drive for a while, the drive starts to make weird clicking, tacking noises. I had no idea what the reason was, thought my disc drive broke, which would suck, cause i just got the console. So I fucked around and found out that the drive only does that noise when the discs I'm using are scratched. I'm thinking of exchanging these scratched copies for some less worn ones, but before I do so, is there any solution to this? Does it hurt the console or the discs? Can't find much info online about this.

I'm attaching a video with the noise recorded.

Thank you!

It may well cause excessive wear on the head mechanism over a prolonged period depending on the quality of the components used.

You can try to buff out the scratches if they are very minor, there are kits and solutions you can buy for this but research thoroughly, some buffing compounds cause the disc surface to become opaque causing read issues as problematic as the original scratches. Also some compounds if used to much can actually strip the disc surface layer away causing even more issues.

Tronicsfix channel showed in several videos how he diagnose, refurbish and repair some PS5 optical drives.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Just now, mMontana said:

Tronicsfix channel showed in several videos how he diagnose, refurbish and repair some PS5 optical drives.

I don't think it's necessarily a drive issue. Other discs I have, that don't have scratches, work fine and don't make such noise.

Can you return the scratched disks and choose others?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 hours ago, mMontana said:

Can you return the scratched disks and choose others?

They got a 48 hour policy, that i can exchange something in store if i dont like the games, so i think so, yeah.

If the console reads known good disc fine, then the console is mostly fine.

This is expected behavior, the scratch is interfering with the track and focus loop of the lens, which causes the lens to jump around.

It is possible for the lens to jump too hard and hit the spinning disc, so don’t try this for too long.