Uploaded Images Broken after sometime on Status Update.

Skipple

Browser, version and OS: Chrome 116.0.5845.141 / Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened? Unknown. Posted status with two attached pictures. Pictures where uploaded directly to forums.

What happened? After a day or two, the posted images broke. Shows URL pointing to external-content.duckduckgo.com

What did you expect to happen? The images not to brake and display properly. 

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable:  

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

image.thumb.png.96fdfe99052776c2acb1512753aad636.png

Any other relevant details: Going directly to the image URL shows "Bad request." 

Direct URL example: 

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2Fpw%2FAIL4fc-BXqyn9B5hUmswVZVvKs7gnAp5QGzgJXsr_YfxsKp1svVnMh4i7xqHwNo-TKPlwQjyPjNnz9ylCHV7wpt1_bosf4ZlDcjrQfrH5fTTYWJoB7UQ9-XzZPQezCv423HyNWip76kHiv0TIElgfRVx7FEPwpcOP5SJTy8h5bqHKM_PGwZyiFgpyVP3fEUDxxuZWkJWRuYqS-xA74Y4qKDJi2BIpwq9nNINHBZMBh_CUfCSnWztdfAdn3aBW7QG-B1af1F76aNJjZ4lRs9w46nIGlQrldzQSJ3mDIEkFZ23JX-iB1rP58rJ4hnpmebz3UhbPLgWiOcz-qW-pkcud-fAoF--pxuY_zgzFAr11AG818X9PnAuoL-bPcCY6rEhxWWSwGPneXbRqgHN7WAELztnMtGPGIIP2Nbg7-aTqy7wXelZtQIX3l24xXxEV86EppSLim5tJ2DjJ-fvyof98sdsenb0HllM98AcoLrKoZKu-Gh34qK-XrEqTVTrXjtABWaEqv19xdsjJTYa3ZH4sYiQ6IENPiJLmMKSiclgHyzRkNwj-K41IsReGOsMht32V-Aj6j0fCsnsXjOrpTI15LvAvMRvhKmOGWoFj3TLdyn4UM9f6TkLST3FmJI0sFt9tqPrKqHCrrYS3JXApNg6xwIpK69Aqi3B3QmA3R_HGNtcBElhLhp7IT8A-I4CyGuwOg1KzkbD2zitKDo5o3F3BZ7inDiFc3SmLExVpW8TOfmBZsNJjUbtEsjp_BV1yOPi_WqE7ZUL3Qeyz--zD4JDq_Hs93wFWOIdXFiEDPZFKl4_o6zNVavf0LuFkFgPUn4FhpfOb6664vIvV0BIYGkZ9X5d35R7meRR6n4F3oNtt5zzI4xZexYmvcszxIrqRwE7m_2CRVHQyQpVMNfKlwHNqIi5S8PTXp_8_v_C6SpJg1P3B1FDTgRvJkyuz9Y4EoEQ%3Dw1295-h971-s-no%3Fauthuser%3D0

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page? n/a

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

You didnt upload them, you hotlinked google images cache. This is the expected behavior.

Click on the link.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

You didnt upload them, you hotlinked google images cache.

Click on the link.

TIL. I just tested this again, and you are right. My process for uploading photos was:
Google Photos > Right Click > Copy Image > Right Click > Paste

I figured that I was copying and pasting the actual image, not just hot-linking to a cached version of the image. Not intuitive. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

Just now, Skipple said:

TIL. I just tested this again, and you are right. My process for uploading photos was:
Google Photos > Right Click > Copy Image > Right Click > Paste

I figured that I was copying and pasting the actual image, not just hot-linking to a cached version of the image. Not intuitive. 

You might be clicking on copy link instead. I do that all the time, it uploads as image.

image.png.156783f1a4b9dcd2d55135f19e83789c.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

19 minutes ago, Levent said:

You might be clicking on copy link instead. I do that all the time, it uploads as image.

No this isn't the behavior for me. I copy the image (not copy link), then paste. The image just shows in the body of the editable field. 

ask me about my homelab

It just says a question mark on it for me.

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

Better yet, just download the image to your PC and then upload as an attachment. Works 500% more efficiently.

Satisfaction Guaranteed!!!!

Edited by WeTuLo707

Image Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

Works fine for me

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

On 9/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, Skipple said:

No this isn't the behavior for me. I copy the image (not copy link), then paste. The image just shows in the body of the editable field. 

Then it's indeed an LTT issue.

(Or Win11 since I never used it idk if it could be that).

When I copy an image in chrome, it copies the IMAGE into RAM, I can then paste it anywhere where pasting images is supported.

If I do it here it usually works

test:

cfa6675a8e494b2f26029e2456cdc026305914d0a88a751e59cd2de7c697c9e4.jpg?f=3840x2025_cc0af413449ad1cadc2442c3fa2e5944.jpg

On 9/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, Techreprise said:

Works fine for me

3 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

When I copy an image in chrome, it copies the IMAGE into RAM, I can then paste it anywhere where pasting images is supported.

If I do it here it usually works

You are showing with the external.duckduckgo address as well, not a direct attach.

image.thumb.png.a574dfd0d7c903269d4470d1692553fc.png

image.thumb.png.b923002bd9ac08384cbd5a9b11e43612.png

As opposed to these images I uploaded here which point to https://pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/, because there are a direct attach (screenshot -> paste)

image.thumb.png.22abff5beb035c6cd9794bb66f7d96ae.png

ask me about my homelab

10 hours ago, Skipple said:

You are showing with the external.duckduckgo address as well, not a direct attach.

That's odd, when I paste it in Discord it pastes the image, not an address.

Same for when I put it in Gimp

I give up on the issue, I'm going to assume it's a win11 problem or that you're computer is cursed.

2 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I give up on the issue, I'm going to assume it's a win11 problem or that you're computer is cursed.

It's not my particular computer. You just experienced the same thing with the image on your post. Rather than copying and pasting the actual image, it simply embeds the link (via this duckduckgo address) rather than actually uploading the image to linustechtips.com. Your sexy James image is done the same way. 

No idea what coomer.party is, nor do I care to find out, but you get the idea. 

The same behavior is happening on my Pop!_OS machine, so this isn't Windows functionality. Maybe it's Chrome? Regardless, not intuitive because of the examples you gave. Every other application pastes in the actual image, but not here.

ask me about my homelab

On 9/11/2023 at 5:26 PM, Skipple said:

You just experienced the same thing with the image on your post. Rather than copying and pasting the actual image, it simply embeds the link

I understood that, what I'm saying is, your PC must be having an issue when copying the link.

I don't think it's the LTT forums which are only discriminating you.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:26 PM, Skipple said:

Maybe it's Chrome?

What version are you on?

Do you have any extensions active by any chance?