Import tax for shipping to UK

ducklops

Hi. I’m interested in buying a 21oz water bottle from LTTstore.com, but I’m based in the UK. What sort of import tax and delivery charges are we looking at for orders like this?

Look up HM Customs Office for how much you owe Gov't in import duties. Shipping costs depends on size and weight, for an estimate look up shipping from the US (as that's where they ultimately ship non-Canadian orders from) for different shippers.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

17 minutes ago, ducklops said:

Hi. I’m interested in buying a 21oz water bottle from LTTstore.com, but I’m based in the UK. What sort of import tax and delivery charges are we looking at for orders like this?

I think you'll have 20% VAT plus some customs tax maybe 5%

Add to this the shipping cost and the bottle will cost you near double its base price...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If you add to cart then go to the next screen and put in your delivery address, it’ll calculate shipping & tax for you (before you confirm the order). 🙂

IMG_0414.thumb.png.6d276c250011c9b842d75ca5011771fc.png

Here is my actual order from a couple of months back. The hoodie cost the same as the water bottle & that’s what it came out to 🙂

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

That ramped up the necessary liters for mortage to 50 cubic meters. At least. SHEEES...

It’s not so much the tax that puts me off ordering more than the shipping. I got my hoodie in the Lime Day sale and the total came out to around £45 all in, which is reasonable for a good quality jumper here. Personally I wouldn’t spend that on a water bottle. 

19 hours ago, Afternoon Tea said:

It’s not so much the tax that puts me off ordering more than the shipping. I got my hoodie in the Lime Day sale and the total came out to around £45 all in, which is reasonable for a good quality jumper here. Personally I wouldn’t spend that on a water bottle. 

you will notnget import taxt as it is less than 120USD I beleive do nto quote me on the price

Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! 

ALWAYS HAPPPY TO HELP NO CHALLENGE IS TO HARD FOR ME

Sorry I make lots of typos

4 hours ago, Bobby529 said:

you will notnget import taxt as it is less than 120USD I beleive do nto quote me on the price

Oww I didn’t know this. But you are still charged VAT at 10%. Like I said tax doesn’t bother me, it’s the shipping that puts me off 😅

5 hours ago, Afternoon Tea said:

Oww I didn’t know this. But you are still charged VAT at 10%. Like I said tax doesn’t bother me, it’s the shipping that puts me off 😅

20% VAT yess hipping is too much

Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! 

ALWAYS HAPPPY TO HELP NO CHALLENGE IS TO HARD FOR ME

Sorry I make lots of typos

• 2 weeks later...

I find the prices on LTTStore to be reasonable but shipping cost is outrageous. Not sure what's different with the way shipping is done, it just seems crazy when I can order from China to the UK and its a fraction of the price, sure it might take a month to arrive.

If I was ordering a £1000 product and shipping was £20 then fine. but order a £20 water bottle and shipping is still £20.

Personally I don't care how long it takes to ship, if the method of shipping had options to reduce the cost like standard or express then I might buy something.

Can LTT not have a drop shipping agreement with the manufacturer?

2 hours ago, Craigy said:

I find the prices on LTTStore to be reasonable but shipping cost is outrageous. Not sure what's different with the way shipping is done, it just seems crazy when I can order from China to the UK and its a fraction of the price, sure it might take a month to arrive.

If I was ordering a £1000 product and shipping was £20 then fine. but order a £20 water bottle and shipping is still £20.

Personally I don't care how long it takes to ship, if the method of shipping had options to reduce the cost like standard or express then I might buy something.

Can LTT not have a drop shipping agreement with the manufacturer?

The shipping prices seen on those screenshots are actually normal. Not even high. 20USD with tracking and 14 business day delivery time is better than what you would get from AliExpress ($30-45USD). The reason they can't do lower is because they have tracking and it's such small quantity overall that they don't get flat rate as bottom (or can't offer free).

€7-12 is our domestic shipping price for consumers and small business.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, Craigy said:

I just had an order delivered to my workplace - which is located nearly in walking distance of the warehouse. Shipping was $15 USD and took 8 days from placing the order.

Delivery wasn't by post or an identifiable courier service - just a random guy in a high vis vest.

• 1 month later...

Ordering the backpack today from the UK 

Subtotal : $249.99 (£202.13)

Shipping : $49.99 (£40.42)

Taxes : $60.00 (£48.51)

Total : $359.98 (£291.07)

**(at time of posting)**

When ever I've ordered from LTT before i've always had to pay import tax too.

With the expensive cpu pillow and a few other things, on top of delivery and taxes I had to pay another 85£!

I will update with how much import tax I was demanded to pay by HMRC.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:59 AM, LogicalDrm said:

The shipping prices seen on those screenshots are actually normal. Not even high. 20USD with tracking and 14 business day delivery time is better than what you would get from AliExpress ($30-45USD). The reason they can't do lower is because they have tracking and it's such small quantity overall that they don't get flat rate as bottom (or can't offer free).

€7-12 is our domestic shipping price for consumers and small business.

Maybe it's just the fact we're blessed with cheap domestic shipping in the UK.

For example, I can send a 90x60x60cm package weighing 10kg for less than £6, and a sub 2kg package costs about £3.

Even sending internationally from the UK is reasonable, to the point where the difference between sending something like the screwdriver from the UK to Canada is on par with what LTT charge for domestic shipping in Canada.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

9 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Maybe it's just the fact we're blessed with cheap domestic shipping in the UK.

For example, I can send a 90x60x60cm package weighing 10kg for less than £6, and a sub 2kg package costs about £3.

Even sending internationally from the UK is reasonable, to the point where the difference between sending something like the screwdriver from the UK to Canada is on par with what LTT charge for domestic shipping in Canada.

So what you're saying is LTT should base their warehouse in the UK? I'd be happy with that.

On 9/2/2023 at 5:49 AM, ducklops said:

If your total consignment value is above 135 GBP, you will most likely have to pay 20% VAT plus customs/duty. If it's below that amount, it'll usually just be the 20% VAT (which we collect during checkout; so no additional fees at time of import). It's always best to contact customs prior to purchasing if you are uncertain about what sort of costs might be incurred.

Since you live in the UK I'll also draw your attention to this: https://lttstore.gorgias.help/en-US/i-live-in-the-uk-eu-or-norway-and-ive-been-charged-for-sales-tax-twice-what-can-i-do-218298

Customer Service Supervisor; lttstore.com

Need help with an lttstore order? Contact us or check out our FAQ here.

Trust me bro

On 11/10/2023 at 1:02 AM, AbsoluteWoo said:

So what you're saying is LTT should base their warehouse in the UK? I'd be happy with that.

That's not what they are saying at all. Pretty opposite actually. They are saying that you in UK have gotten used to cheap shipping. Which means when you compare it to international shipping in general, it looks more expensive than it actually is. Plus having bigger retailers with their bigger warehouses available domestic or close (Ireland). Like just having Amazon warehouse does a lot. I either have to buy over 99€ worth of stuff or pay €27 for shipping from German Amazon.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's not what they are saying at all. Pretty opposite actually. They are saying that you in UK have gotten used to cheap shipping. Which means when you compare it to international shipping in general, it looks more expensive than it actually is. Plus having bigger retailers with their bigger warehouses available domestic or close (Ireland). Like just having Amazon warehouse does a lot. I either have to buy over 99€ worth of stuff or pay €27 for shipping from German Amazon.

It's called a joke mate. Lighten up.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2023 at 1:14 AM, cardiffcal said:

Ordering the backpack today from the UK 

Subtotal : $249.99 (£202.13)

Shipping : $49.99 (£40.42)

Taxes : $60.00 (£48.51)

Total : $359.98 (£291.07)

**(at time of posting)**

When ever I've ordered from LTT before i've always had to pay import tax too.

With the expensive cpu pillow and a few other things, on top of delivery and taxes I had to pay another 85£!

I will update with how much import tax I was demanded to pay by HMRC.

Update

Bag arrived on the 7th of December 

giving a whole month of delivery time to the UK (Wales specifically) 

With an added charge of £57 for import tax 

Making a total of £348.07. 

and a month delivery (bear in mind i also went to the distribution Centre to pick it up so that saved a couple days too) 

16 hours ago, cardiffcal said:

Update

Bag arrived on the 7th of December 

giving a whole month of delivery time to the UK (Wales specifically) 

With an added charge of £57 for import tax 

Making a total of £348.07. 

and a month delivery (bear in mind i also went to the distribution Centre to pick it up so that saved a couple days too) 

Do you have a brake down of your import fee at all? mine (I ordered when they had the Backpack+ windbreaker offer on) has been hit for £85.

£14 import tax

£12 Parcel force handling

then rest VAT. so I’ll be having to ask LTT for the VAT back they collected at checkout.

once I get the written copy of the fees I will post for reference down to the penny.

9 hours ago, Sdavlaws said:

Do you have a brake down of your import fee at all? mine (I ordered when they had the Backpack+ windbreaker offer on) has been hit for £85.

£14 import tax

£12 Parcel force handling

then rest VAT. so I’ll be having to ask LTT for the VAT back they collected at checkout.

once I get the written copy of the fees I will post for reference down to the penny.

Yeah, somewhere the total fee was £57 but im not sure on the breakdown as i cant remember what i did with the sticker with the price on it. 

when i find it ill post it.

this was the price from when it was cleared at customs and before they delivered it. 

I was gutted when i saw the offer for the windbreaker too, i knew i should've held out but i was too impatient lmao 

Just got my back pack and a copy of the bill.

order was:-

Backpack

Windbreaker 

Beanie

$319.98 USD (excl. VAT)

LTT collected aprox £50.37 GBP in VAT

HMRC applied

£14.66 import duty

£58.71 VAT

courier charged £12 handling

so with everything in hand it’s cost aprox.

£302.29 to LTT, £85.37 to HMRC/Courier total £387.66 I should get the VAT back paid to LTT dropping it to a grand total of 

£337.29 GBP.

hopefully this might help some other people in the UK get an idea of the in your hand cost.