Moving, ethernet won't be possible, alternatives?

Leychee

I'm moving into a house with gigabit internet, but I won't be able to use an ethernet cable for my desktop.

The router is on the 2nd floor and I'll be living on the 1st floor. Do you recommend buying a PCI-E WiFi 6 adapter or going for powerline networking? Are there other alternatives?

Thank you.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Is there an Attic that you can drop a cable down to or any sort of way to get the Ethernet to the room? Otherwise yes you will have to do something like that.

I don't think that'll be possible unfortunately.

Can I maybe use something like this?

Edit: nevermind it replaces the router, I can't just add one like that.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

8 minutes ago, Leychee said:

I don't think that'll be possible unfortunately.

Can I maybe use something like this?

Edit: nevermind it replaces the router, I can't just add one like that.

You can actually use that router as just a Wireless Access Point - there's a setting in the router that disables the "router" part and just leaves the switch and WiFi active.

As for taking advantage of gigabit Internet, you almost certainly won't get that with a powerline adapter.

Does the house have coaxial cabling (cable TV) that you could use via MOCA?

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

You can actually use that router as just a Wireless Access Point - there's a setting in the router that disables the "router" part and just leaves the switch and WiFi active.

As for taking advantage of gigabit Internet, you almost certainly won't get that with a powerline adapter.

Does the house have coaxial cabling (cable TV) that you could use via MOCA?

Interesting, thank you. I was looking at MoCA, they're not easy to come by. Can't find any in stock but I'll keep looking. Are there other alternatives that are as good as MoCA?

My full rig

Thoughts about this?

My full rig

Ethernet > MoCA > Very well done Wi-Fi > Powerline > poorly done Wi-Fi. 

There's plenty of GOOD MoCA adapters out there
https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-Ethernet-Bandwidth-existing/dp/B09RB1QYR9/

----

Good Wi-Fi usually means a decent access point is reasonably close (ideally line of sight) and that it's ideally got a wired backhaul. 
OK Wi-Fi might be a bit further out, using an older standard or using mesh. 
Bad Wi-Fi looks like a mix of the following: multiple hops over mesh, single band, older standard, long distance, many walls in the way. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5 minutes ago, Leychee said:

Interesting, thank you. I was looking at MoCA, they're not easy to come by. Can't find any in stock but I'll keep looking. Are there other alternatives that are as good as MoCA?

1 minute ago, Leychee said:

Thoughts about this?

If you really can't run an Ethernet cable under any circumstances, and MoCA is not an option, then WiFi is probably the best choice. Powerline is fine if you don't need really high speeds.

Mesh isn't a bad idea, but if you're not allowed to change the router, then it won't really work. The idea with mesh is that it isn't just a series of extenders - the modules work together, so they need the router to be part of the mesh network.

Snazzy Labs recently did a great video on options for how to do networking without drilling or punching holes in things to run cables. I'd recommend giving it a watch.

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you really can't run an Ethernet cable under any circumstances, and MoCA is not an option, then WiFi is probably the best choice. Powerline is fine if you don't need really high speeds.

Mesh isn't a bad idea, but if you're not allowed to change the router, then it won't really work. The idea with mesh is that it isn't just a series of extenders - the modules work together, so they need the router to be part of the mesh network.

Snazzy Labs recently did a great video on options for how to do networking without drilling or punching holes in things to run cables. I'd recommend giving it a watch.

I could get access to the router and add mesh, as long as it doesn't change anything for my housemates, aka they don't have to rethink their own networking.

I'll watch it right now, thank you!

My full rig

10 minutes ago, Leychee said:

Thoughts about this?

Usable if you're able to get one upstairs CLOSE to one downstairs. 

Be aware that Wi-Fi 5 (AC) has worse latency characteristics vs Wi-Fi 6. 

1 minute ago, cmndr said:

Usable if you're able to get one upstairs CLOSE to one downstairs. 

Be aware that Wi-Fi 5 (AC) has worse latency characteristics vs Wi-Fi 6. 

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

My full rig

1 minute ago, Leychee said:

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Be aware that a thin cable, carefully and tastefully routed can do a MUCH better job in terms of performance and reliability. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34211

Also you can "share" an ethernet cable or port across multiple devices pretty easily with a network switch. 

10 hours ago, cmndr said:

Be aware that a thin cable, carefully and tastefully routed can do a MUCH better job in terms of performance and reliability. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34211

Also you can "share" an ethernet cable or port across multiple devices pretty easily with a network switch. 

I am aware but unfortunately it's not possible at the moment... I'll probably just try a bunch of options and see which one is faster, but I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

My full rig

6 hours ago, Leychee said:

I am aware but unfortunately it's not possible at the moment... I'll probably just try a bunch of options and see which one is faster, but I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

My advice. Check the WIFi with your phone and maybe a WiFi analyzer app. If the signal and speeds are good then it might be ok to invest with a WiFi card. I would advise you to look at what router they are using to see what WiFi standards the router supports. You will want to specifically test on the 5Ghz band if you are worried about faster speeds. I believe Intel chipsets are still the gold standard. It might be worth it to get one of those WIFi cards where the antenna is connected via a cable vs directly connected to the back of the card so you can ensure the best signal. As long as your room isnt directly under the router I would expect you should get decent ish speeds and reliability. 

I seen you looked at Moca. I would like to say Moca is a bit involved to install. Besides you needing at least RG6 coax ran to each location. You also need to ensure that the points between the adapters are never more than 300 feet. If the coax is being used to Cable TV and or Internet service you need a moca filter on the main line coming in. Oh and while you can have up to 16 moca devices on a network I believe, the more devices the slower it gets. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My advice. Check the WIFi with your phone and maybe a WiFi analyzer app. If the signal and speeds are good then it might be ok to invest with a WiFi card. I would advise you to look at what router they are using to see what WiFi standards the router supports. You will want to specifically test on the 5Ghz band if you are worried about faster speeds. I believe Intel chipsets are still the gold standard. It might be worth it to get one of those WIFi cards where the antenna is connected via a cable vs directly connected to the back of the card so you can ensure the best signal. As long as your room isnt directly under the router I would expect you should get decent ish speeds and reliability. 

I seen you looked at Moca. I would like to say Moca is a bit involved to install. Besides you needing at least RG6 coax ran to each location. You also need to ensure that the points between the adapters are never more than 300 feet. If the coax is being used to Cable TV and or Internet service you need a moca filter on the main line coming in. Oh and while you can have up to 16 moca devices on a network I believe, the more devices the slower it gets. 

Good advice, thank you. I wanted to order a powerline adapter right now but I think I should probably check if the WiFi signal is any good or if there even is a coax plug at my new place. I won't have any internet for a day or two but at least I won't buy something I'll end up not needing.

My full rig

A fool "overkill approach".

A lot of wifi setups rely on the router, a single AP or a mesh, so the load for wifi is distributed among several devices. It's like a single server for a lot of tables: more the tables, higher the times and potentially not the best outcome for timing.

You can still.. deliver a specific channel for you. How?

Using professional-grade APs that allow to be configured as wireless bridge.

Then, with ethernet cable on both sides, reach the router and your computer.

Disadvantage: more complex configuration. Higher cost (of single AP, then doubled). More clutter. 5Ghz among walls is a tough pill, so maybe you could find yourself strained to 2.4Ghz. Probably cannot take advantage from Wifi 6 or 6e, depend on shielding from walls.

Advantages: your data will be serverd by router on ethernet, and the "wireless jump" will be only on AP to AP. Which can have totally different configuration from router, can be tinkered much more for optimize ping and data transfers, can be moved easily allowing you to put both in the most combined convenient place.

In briged configuration, all wireless bandwith from your "dedicated AP" will be for your use, it will suffer from radio and wall interference but with only one client, timing will be much more favorable.

Also, wireless negotiation between two APs can be maxed out from positioning.

Suitable to everyone? No. Comply to common sense? Neither.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂