Replace ISP routers

Kuldar_Joel

I'm currently paying monthly rent for 2 ISP routers and I'd like to finally replace them.

Which routers for about 50€-100€ would be the best options?

Thanks in advance!

I bought the TP-Link Archer AX10 a few months ago and i'm very happy with it. It costs around 55 EUR in Germany.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 hours ago, Kuldar_Joel said:

I'm currently paying monthly rent for 2 ISP routers and I'd like to finally replace them.

Which routers for about 50€-100€ would be the best options?

Thanks in advance!

First of all, it's rare these days for ISPs to rent out simple routers to their customers. They usually provide modems (for coax) or gateways (combo modem/router/AP) devices.

Secondly, not everything is a "router". This is important because when it comes to replacing it, you might not simply need just a "router".

Thirdly, not all ISPs will allow replacement of their devices. Fiber ISPs, for example, tend to give you a fiber gateway that has authentication data on it that authorizes you on their network. Any other device will not be allowed access. You should approach your ISP to see what can be replaced and if they have a list of approved replacements. You'll likely still need to get your ISP to help you set up the device correctly.

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

First of all, it's rare these days for ISPs to rent out simple routers to their customers. They usually provide modems (for coax) or gateways (combo modem/router/AP) devices.

Secondly, not everything is a "router". This is important because when it comes to replacing it, you might not simply need just a "router".

Thirdly, not all ISPs will allow replacement of their devices. Fiber ISPs, for example, tend to give you a fiber gateway that has authentication data on it that authorizes you on their network. Any other device will not be allowed access. You should approach your ISP to see what can be replaced and if they have a list of approved replacements. You'll likely still need to get your ISP to help you set up the device correctly.

1. I've got a free lifetime modem from my ISP.

2. If the official ISP technician said that it's a router and specifically not a modem, then I'm quite sure that it's a router.

3. Every ISP I've dealt with (including my current one) specifically allows every customer to use any router they want.

19 minutes ago, Kuldar_Joel said:

1. I've got a free lifetime modem from my ISP.

2. If the official ISP technician said that it's a router and specifically not a modem, then I'm quite sure that it's a router.

3. Every ISP I've dealt with (including my current one) specifically allows every customer to use any router they want.

1. What type of internet connection do you have?
  2. What speeds are you paying for?
  3. What is the make/model of what your ISP provides?
  4. If they're "free lifetime", why are you paying rent for them?

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

f they're "free lifetime", why are you paying rent for them?

They might be getting charged for the routers. I know Charter provides Free Cable modems or at least did and would charge a rental fee for a router or gateway device. I think they do this because they dont want to support 3rd party modems on their network so they give customers a reason not to buy their own modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.