First AMD Build

This is my first AMD build and I’m using a GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) I’m having a tough time getting it to boot. I’m not sure if I purchased the correct CPU for this motherboard.  I don’t know if this motherboard needs a bios update, how do I do that…? Any help, thoughts? I am open to try anything! On my PC build…

IMG_1955.jpeg

You left out some information that could help in answering your questions.

What CPU do you plan to use?

What RAM do you plan to use and how much of it?

Depending on what CPU, what are you going to do to keep it cool?

What storage?  Classic hard drives or something like an SSD or an NVME drive?  That board does not support NVME unless you use an addon PCI-e card.

What OS do you plan to use?

What software or games do you plan to run?

Answers to the above questions would really help.  

Take care and Good Luck.

12 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You left out some information that could help in answering your questions.

What CPU do you plan to use?

What RAM do you plan to use and how much of it?

Depending on what CPU, what are you going to do to keep it cool?

What storage?  Classic hard drives or something like an SSD or an NVME drive?  That board does not support NVME unless you use an addon PCI-e card.

What OS do you plan to use?

What software or games do you plan to run?

Answers to the above questions would really help.  

Take care and Good Luck.

- AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3400G, 3.70GHz, 4-Core, Socket AM4, 

- I also tried a AMD Athlon 3000G Desktop Processor (3.5GHz, 2 Cores, Socket AM4) 

- CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM

- stock amd cooler

- it has a nvme on the back of the board and a ssd

- planned on using Win10 at first

- honestly it’s gonna be used by my kid, Minecraft, YouTube vids, etc

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OK.
First off it will support your chip but you do need to update the BIOS before it will work with it.

For updating, look here on how to do it.
Download the manual for it and simply follow the instructions. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-manual

Now, here's the part you don't want to hear.
Ryzen and Corsair Vengeance RAM DO NOT like each other too well.

This has been a problem for a long time now and although you may get lucky and have it to work without problems, I would at least "Expect" (Don't be suprised) some issues from this board and CPU gen running with those sticks.

If you start having random crashing, errors popping up and just overall weird behaviour taking place that's probrably it because all that is well documented and frankly, there have been more threads/problems with this exact issue than I can count, with the sticks ending up being the source of these problems.

If in doubt, refer to the board's QVL list for sticks that are supported correctly and go from there.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

It's probably the RAM as @Beerzerker pointed out. I tried to run a first gen Ryzen system, and gave up after the extremely poor memory support they gave it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

so far, thank you to everyone who’s giving me advice and trying to help me figure this out!
So reading through the instructions, it’s asking me to hit the delete key during the post when the powers turned on I can’t even tell if it’s posting because I have nothing on the screen.
I change the ram to a eight gig stick of T force DDR4 3200.

I have also cleared the CMOS as well.

If those sticks are on the board's QVL by make AND model it should work.
If not that may be it.

Some boards are picky about what sticks you put in them and it's not an exclusive "Thing" related to whether it supports AMD or Intel chips, that can happen with any board, depending on the individual board in question.

BTW did you buy the board new or used?

Another thing that may be in play here that's happened to me before - Be sure the monitor is using the correct input port setting such as HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 - Not all monitors will automaticaly detect and switch to the correct setting. If it's wrong you'll have a blank screen because it won't display anything.
You'll have to start the system and just let it sit for a minute, then using the monitor's menu, cycle through these settings (VGA-DVI-HDMI 1-HDMI 2) and see if you "Find" a picture/input.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I bought the board new old stock. And I have gone through every stick of DDR four ram that I own and none of it is on this QVL vendor list.

i’ve never had this problem with Intel boards, lol. I guess I’ll look at purchasing different ram. That’s on the qualified vendors list. Thanks again for all your help.

image.jpg

I have some Adata 3200C16 sticks that my sons Asus board hates. I have some old B-Die in there running at 2000 1:1 just fine.. boards and ram are funny sometimes. I have had plenty of memory issues with Intel too.. And I will not buy Corsair ram because of issues that I had with a few sets of their DDR2 lol.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Just a follow up:

- I have a CPU that is supported on this board. 

- I went and got RAM that is on the QVL list.

- Tried 3 different power supplies.

- I removed the NVME, just to try

and this darn thing will not boot, post, beep, nothing.  Power supply's spin up, CPU Cooler fan spins and lights up, system fan spins up, the mouse laser lights up (keyboard doesn't light up)...

I guess ill chalk it up to just being a bad board.