Microsoft rushes to change Windows in EU to avoid yet another antitrust lawsuit

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I was, when they switched to the new hardware accelerated UI, it wont launch any more.

I haven't had that issue.  Try reinstalling your video card driver software.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, rcmaehl said:

I'm tired of creating workarounds for you attempting to shove Edge and its massive tendrils of Microsoft/Windows feature integrations (and analytics) down users' throats.

Obligation Windows sucks use Linux.

Jokes aside, I get that Linux isn’t for everyone, but this is the main reason that I personally choose to use Linux. No matter what OS you use you are going to have to put work in to get it to behave the way you want. I would rather put that effort into an OS that is TRYING to be more compatible and and trying to give me more free choice than to put that effort into an OS that is constantly pushing updates that benefit themselves at my expense. It’s so liberating to use an OS that is working with you rather than fighting against you. It would have been so easy for them to make these changes globally, but instead they spent the dev time to actively screw over their non EU customers. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, Dean0919 said:

It's either have no features and no programs and no games with Linux but be free

You are way behind on the linux topic i see....

12 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

I'm not. Tried Linux distro just a few months ago and was fasing issue after issue and some important features for me were just absent, so went back to Windows.

The only "issue" i met so far was always traced back to some stupid DRM.... (meaning its not a linux issue)

And linux is my primary OS so i had plenty of chances to run into issues.

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

The only "issue" i met so far was always traced back to some stupid DRM.... (meaning its not a linux issue)

And linux is my primary OS so i had plenty of chances to run into issues.

Even if you don't feel you have issues with Linux, it doesn't mean others don't. I for sure have had issues every time I tried it.

Also, if an issue is Linux itself, or if it is with some third party software on Linux that the user needs: It doesn't really matter for the user. It's still an issue on Linux that they don't get on the alternative.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, Mihle said:

Even if you don't feel you have issues with Linux, it doesn't mean others don't. I for sure have had issues every time I tried it.

3 laptops, 2 desktops, several small PC used as server plus a dozen+ of VMs all running linux. Cherry on top is i jump randomly to a different distro. So its quite far from a simple feeling.....

8 hours ago, Mihle said:

Also, if an issue is Linux itself, or if it is with some third party software on Linux that the user needs: It doesn't really matter for the user. It's still an issue on Linux that they don't get on the alternative.

Doesnt atter and doesnt care is vildly different, you should know to not mix up the two...

7 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Browser profiles issue.

It is very much a thing for as far as i can remember (started linux on ubuntu 9.xx), as for pinning it will depend on the desktop environment but it is doable with minimal hassle....

Manjaro as other arch based distros are for basically "power users", who know what they are doing and wont get scared away if they have to get their hands dirty.

Sound Problem.

Its not a problem but a simple "missing app", except it is not missing:
https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects

No Sync for Google Chrome.

Chromium!=Chrome, and as always its an artificial limit imposed by google.

There's no Adobe products on Linux and there's no Microsoft Office as well.

Most ppl doesnt need either. Plus AFAIK O365 has a browser based version as well.....

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Doesnt atter and doesnt care is vildly different, you should know to not mix up the two...

Depends what perspective you take.

If you take the perspective of trying to figure out how to fix the issue, then yes.

If you take the perspective of you don't want issues in the first place and don't want tho think about how to avoid them, then no, it actually doesn't matter.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Exactly. I can go to details and say what issues I personally had:

1. Browser profiles issue. I don't remember if there were profiles at all for browsers in Linux, but I clearly remember going to Linux distro forum and asking people how to pin profiles to taskbar. They couldn't help me. They told me to do some mumbo jumbo things (like manually do some complicated process), but it still didn't help. Basically there was no option to easily pin profiles in taskbar, like we can in Windows and I tried different desktop environments. On the top of that, Linux community already started giving me a hard time (like always they tell you to copy some codes somewhere do this, do that, without explaining why are you doing this or what those codes do) and at the end they just locked my thread and deleted some of my posts even though I didn't insult everyone. It clearly showed sign of a dictatorship of their community which gave me a zero desire to ever go to their forum and ask for the help. You can check that thread here, if you're intererested. This is the biggest issue for to not able to pin profiles to taskbar, because I play some specific game and I have 20 accounts with their Chrome profiles pinned to taskbar in Windows. This game is everything for me, so if I'm unable to do that, I don't need Linux at all. And there's always issue with Linux, even with their forum. Right now, I'm trying to login there and system tells me, it sent a link with code to my email to login, but I don't get any email and when I click "resend the code" I get this error "An error occurred: The requested URL or resource could not be found". Even their forum is broken... Here's another post of mine about profiles but on a different desktop environment. As you see there, after so much pain, still no solution.
  2. Sound Problem. In Windows I use my own setup of equalizer, because I don't like sound of default equalizer settings. So, all I did when I installed Windows was to open "Realtek Audio Console" and tweak equalizer with my choice and after that whole computer has your preferred sound wherever you listen music in Youtube or in music app. So, when I installed Linux, I decided to do the same, but as always I ran into problems. First, there wasn't equalizer at all in OS, so I had to google it. Turns out there's only one universal equalizer called "Pulse Equalizer". Fine, downloaded it, tweaked it with my choice, but noticed whenever I would turn on system or restart it, equalizer would be turned off by default and I had to open the application and manually turn it on, but this wasn't the only issue. I also noticed that if I would listen a music in app like VLC for example, when new track would start there was some lagging noise, everytime on every track. Here's thread about it here on their forum again. As always community wasn't helpful. All they did was to give me link of that equalizer wiki lol.
  3. No Sync for Google Chrome. I don't know if they fixed it now, but I remember there wasn't syn option for Google chrome which is a vital for me.
  4. There's no Adobe products on Linux and there's no Microsoft Office as well. I used to work in applications like Photoshop and Illustrator and they don't have Linux support. Yes, there are alternatives, but none of them are even close to those apps and anyone who works in Photoshop and Illustrator knows that. Same with office apps. There are alternatives, but if you're heavy Excell user you will eventually need Microsoft Excel which again doesn't exist on Linux.
  5. Lastly, as far as I know online games also suck on Linux, because they receive new updates or fixes very late compared to Windows.

Because of those issues, Linux is basically useless for me personally and it only associates for me with pain in the arse by copying and pasting some codes to make something work.

These are all "Windows User" problems and aren't actual issues but "want to haves" from using Windows. 

Linux doesn't have OS problems, it has User Expectation Problems.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

These are all "Windows User" problems and aren't actual issues but "want to haves" from using Windows. 

Linux doesn't have OS problems, it has User Expectation Problems.

"Windows User" problems are still problems. If it doesn't work for someone it doesn't matter who is at fault they should just use what works for them. Saying "Linux doesn't have OS problems" really doesn't help the person facing the User Expectation Problems and it really doesn't help other people who are considering giving Linux a try.

The most productive thing that can be done when someone is facing "User Expectation Problems" is to help to try and solve those problems and to fit the OS to how they wish to interact with their system. Linux is customizable for a reason.

13 hours ago, Mihle said:

Depends what perspective you take.

If you take the perspective of trying to figure out how to fix the issue, then yes.

If you take the perspective of you don't want issues in the first place and don't want tho think about how to avoid them, then no, it actually doesn't matter.

Definitions arent something that can change.....

On 9/16/2023 at 6:38 AM, jagdtigger said:

Definitions arent something that can change.....

The definition of "doesn't matter" is basically that it's not important.

And it's not absolute statement, it's relative.

I said it doesn't matter for people that don't want issues in the first place or having to make effort to avoid them. And that's true, it's not important for those people what exactly creates the issue when they don't have to think about it if they choose another OS.

So yes it doesn't change but it obviously doesn't mean what you think it does.

-Stephen Hawking

12 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

1. Mine didn't seem minimal hassle. I don't know how's situation now, but sure it wasn't a minimal hassle. Tried it on all desktop environments and none of them worked for me.

Manjaro KDE: Right click on start menu>Edit Applications>Click on internet category>click on "new item">give it a name>chose an icon by clicking on the empty box on the right side of the "Name" input box>Copy over the contents of the "Program" input box from the original firefox item>Write "-p <profile_name>" into the "Command-Line Arguments" input box>hit save.

Thats it, now you have an icon that will start the desired profile, you can also pint it to the Task Manager

2. I don't know, someone recommended Manjaro for beginners so I went for it.

Its not recommended for beginners, its considered as an advanced distro where you most posses at least some amount of knowledge about how linux works. And you are almost guaranteed to need that knowledge because manjaro is a bleeding edge distro so its quite a bit more prone to issues.  A beginner distro would be for example:  Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PoP!_OS, etc.....

3. I don't know what's this link. Are you saying it fixes both sound glitch and autostart issue?

If you would open and read whats written there you would know its an equalizer, as for the glitch it most be related to the bleeding edge nature of manjaro. As for autostart  for example kde: "Start Menu">Settings>System Settings>Startup and Shutdown>Autostart.

4. I don't care if this problem is coming from Google or Linux. All I care that it's not working on Linux and it's important for me.

The problem comes from your lack of knowledge and understanding. First up you link a chromium issue, which is not equivalent with google chrome (chromium is the base project then google adds its own magic sausage to make it into google chrome). If you want sync install google chrome from google:

https://www.google.com/chrome/

(Only Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora/openSUSE [it will most likely work on their derivatives also] is supported....)

All in all id recommend to you to try something more user friendly form the previously mentioned distros.

Edited by jagdtigger