AMD 6900XT Overheats and shutsdown PC

Hi everyone,

I need your help on figuring out the source of a problem.

My computer has the following specs:

Motherboard:- Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus

CPU:- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU:- NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT SE

RAM:- 32Gb DDR4 (16x16) Corsair Vengeance PRO 3600Mhz

Memory:- M2 WD Black 1Tb- M2 WD Blue 1Tb- 2x WD SSD 1Tb

Fans:-6x Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE

CPU Cooler:-Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE

Case:- Lian Li pc-o11-dynamic-razer-edition

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT 80 Plus Gold 850W Full Modular

The issue i'm having is, whenever I play a game, lately it's been Minecraft, my GPU overheats to 115ºC (Hotspot) and shuts down the whole PC.

I tried removing AMD drivers via safemode, and then clean installing them again.
I checked and all cables seem to be connected correctly (im not too savy, so I might have missed something tho)
I've updated the BIOS
I updated windows and all that good stuff.

Still, whenever I run Minecraft with shaders, and we're talking about shaders not too demanding (Make-up Fast Shaders), my GPU Overheats and shuts down.
The GPU fans are spinning.

I have the CPUID HWMonitor log, but im not sure if I can post that here, or if it has sensitive data on it, but here's what it captured when I was playing:
https://pastebin.com/mDVuGXwe

Does anyone have any idea about what's going on? This is something that started happening when I changed houses, meaning, 2 months ago, I didn't have these issues.

Thanks for all the help, and i hope i gave all the needed data for someone to help me find a sollution.

do you have the fans on the card set to 100%.

are you using cold air to cool the computer or hot air.

did you inspect the card for damage around the heatsink mounting area

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

do you have the fans on the card set to 100%.

are you using cold air to cool the computer or hot air.

did you inspect the card for damage around the heatsink mounting area

I usually just let AMD's software control the fans speed on Default mode. I tried creating a custom mode, but whenever the computer shutsdown due to overheat, that custom mode is lost and I have to manually create it again.

I'd assume room temperature air? It's been +40ºc here lately, but room temperature should be around 35ºc, im not sure tho since I dont have an AC or thermostat at the moment.

I did, I dethatched the card and reattached it, I also have a GPU support that came with it. 

5 minutes ago, DarkNGod said:

I usually just let AMD's software control the fans speed on Default mode. I tried creating a custom mode, but whenever the computer shutsdown due to overheat, that custom mode is lost and I have to manually create it again.

I'd assume room temperature air? It's been +40ºc here lately, but room temperature should be around 35ºc, im not sure tho since I dont have an AC or thermostat at the moment.

I did, I dethatched the card and reattached it, I also have a GPU support that came with it. 

35C ambient ? Uuurgh you should be baking all day... 🥵

Tips I can then give are (all in Adrenalin) :

- Fans at 80%-90% as soon as hotspot reaches 80C

- Undervolting, not sure what the 6900XT can support but -0,05V is usually ok (you can stress test stability in Adrenalin)

- Limit power as much as possible (-10% I think)

- Limit GPU clock to non boost level, around 2GHz, 

- set a max FPS at something reasonable according to your monitor, or limit framerate with VSync, there's usually not much use having >120FPS except in hghly competitive FPS (for skilled persons lol)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

35C ambient ? Uuurgh you should be baking all day... 🥵

Tips I can then give are (all in Adrenalin) :

- Fans at 80%-90% as soon as hotspot reaches 80C

- Undervolting, not sure what the 6900XT can support but -0,05V is usually ok (you can stress test stability in Adrenalin)

- Limit power as much as possible (-10% I think)

- Limit GPU clock to non boost level, around 2GHz, 

- set a max FPS at something reasonable according to your monitor, or limit framerate with VSync, there's usually not much use having >120FPS except in hghly competitive FPS (for skilled persons lol)

Sorry for asking this, but could you help me out?
Also, I should point this out, someone asked me about this, I never feel throttle on games when it overheats. Is this weird? Should it go straight to Shutdown?

These are the options I have available in Adrenalin:
(note: i usually leave this on Default, which should use 100% fans, not sure tho)
image.thumb.png.6500a8672104751fbc514ae8d14cb2a9.png

3 minutes ago, DarkNGod said:

Sorry for asking this, but could you help me out?
These are the options I have available in Adrenalin:
(note: i usually leave this on Default, which should use 100% fans, not sure tho)
image.thumb.png.6500a8672104751fbc514ae8d14cb2a9.png

Ok, set the settings in Yellow around the values hastily drawn in blue 🙂

The trickiest part is undervolt, to be safe let it above 1100mV, you can test 1050, below it's often unstable

image.thumb.png.069b3c199f22edd20a467866830a680f.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

37 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Ok, set the settings in Yellow around the values hastily drawn in blue 🙂

The trickiest part is undervolt, to be safe let it above 1100mV, you can test 1050, below it's often unstable

image.thumb.png.069b3c199f22edd20a467866830a680f.png

Thanks! I'll test it out!

You're trying to cool the card with 35c air?

No wonder its overheating. Blowing hot air through a computer will yield a computer that overheats

12 hours ago, emosun said:

You're trying to cool the card with 35c air?

No wonder its overheating. Blowing hot air through a computer will yield a computer that overheats

Technically GPU wimm be 13C higher than with ambient 22C isn't it ?

So any settings making the GPU hotspot below 85C on normal 22C ambient should be ok, that's what I'm trying to help OP to achieve (using what I know from my 7900XTX, a bit different but not that far)

19 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Technically GPU wimm be 13C higher than with ambient 22C isn't it ?

their room temp is 35c , which to me indicates a 100% non climate controlled room which no card is expected to operate properly in. i'm not surprised that a 95f room results in an overheating computer.

• 4 weeks later...

Your problem was fixed? 
Im having the same issue

my pc turn of when playing some certain games. All my temps are under 70c. I changed my cpu, mobo, ram and PSU. Last is GPU.

41 minutes ago, JuanValadez said:

Your problem was fixed? 
Im having the same issue

my pc turn of when playing some certain games. All my temps are under 70c. I changed my cpu, mobo, ram and PSU. Last is GPU.

Please start a new thread...even if the issue may or may not be related. I am sorry for the inconvenience.